Marshal Dillon Marshal Dillon
E-Cred: 3072
bamaphil bamaphil
E-Cred: 2962
Hannibal Lecter, MD Hannibal Lecter, MD
E-Cred: 2961

Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Thinkin back...  (Read 15597 times)
S-AL-Tider
Senior

E-Cred: 79

S-AL-Tider

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: March 27, 2011, 09:11:45 PM »

Very 1st job was slinging watermelons in the field at age 10. Started at daylight,and worked till dark.Usually approx.12-13 hours a day,at 1.00 per hour. After the 1st day,I didn't think I could get outa bed,however,my Grandma had different Ideas,with a leather strap to boot:(
#1Tidefan
Grad Student

E-Cred: 119

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: March 28, 2011, 01:32:09 AM »

My last entry as a 'Dairyman'...

I was on call one weekend, when a 'frantic Dairyman' from Woodbury Ga  called. His Bulk milk tank was shocking him...and his cows kept raisin their hoofs in the parlor...not eatin...and giving very little milk in the process...

When I got there, the outside hull of the tank indeed gave off a very considerable jolt of 80 somethin volts. I grounded the leg of the tank, outside to the power pole's ground rod. It took it all out, and seemed to calm down the cows in the parlor as well...

I stayed and helped the old man out until he got through milkin. I took the ground wire off, and received another JOLT...wth?! I hooked it up again, and went on a mission trying to find wth was going here.

Long story shortened...the old milk tank used a chilled water cascade system, that circulated an ice cold water made by the copper pipes submerged in water. The colder the refer system got the ice would build around those submerged copper tubes. Outside the barn, the old refer system had a sight-glass where you could see the flow of freon. I saw MILK flowin through it!...or so I thought.....

Somehow a leak developed (there were several) in those copper tubes where water meets with freon and the oil...resulting in grayish/whitish color in the freon ( same thing when water meets motor oil) HOW this compressor didn't go to ground and short out is beyond me.

We repaired the copper tubing...a brand new condensing unit (whilst using Nitrogen to clear out the moisture in the refer lines) and had the Dairyman back up to operating conditions the next day.

The parlor where the cows were problems came from the same problem since the Stainless steel milk lines were attached to the tank...thus solving that problem as well. We went ahead and grounded that parlor as well with a 9'ground rod on both sides of the barn as well...

I have led a very interesting life-style in my youth...lol
#1Tidefan
Grad Student

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: March 28, 2011, 01:34:05 AM »

This week, I'll talk about bein a machinist. I still miss rebuilding engines...
Allie
Senior

E-Cred: 65

Female

Allie

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: March 28, 2011, 09:49:03 AM »

Youre a very handy guy to have around.  :-)
ssmith general
Coach Frank Thomas

E-Cred: 1460

Male

ssmith general

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: March 28, 2011, 12:31:45 PM »

I got a 4 cylinder gasoline tractor engine that needs rebuilding.  I'll pay for the parts.  No time table.  It runs fine, but overheats no matter what the only thing left to be the issue is a circulation issue.  Time for a total rebuild.  The top end got redone about 15 years ago.  It's a '61 and still has points and runs off 6 volts, I think we should update that.

Allie
Senior

E-Cred: 65

Female

Allie

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: March 28, 2011, 02:00:04 PM »

"
I got a 4 cylinder gasoline tractor engine that needs rebuilding.  I'll pay for the parts.  No time table.  It runs fine, but overheats no matter what the only thing left to be the issue is a circulation issue.  Time for a total rebuild.  The top end got redone about 15 years ago.  It's a '61 and still has points and runs off 6 volts, I think we should update that."

After you finish with that I have a 1957 1/2 Chevrolet Apache in my back yard that needs attention ...   Lips Sealed
She used to work but now she doesn't...

#1Tidefan
Grad Student

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: March 29, 2011, 01:17:26 AM »

I got a 4 cylinder gasoline tractor engine that needs rebuilding.  I'll pay for the parts.  No time table.  It runs fine, but overheats no matter what the only thing left to be the issue is a circulation issue.  Time for a total rebuild.  The top end got redone about 15 years ago.  It's a '61 and still has points and runs off 6 volts, I think we should update that.

Not a bad idea bro. Parts aren't the only issue here. As old as that engine is, I would pull the whole engine down, and have the head...block...and crank magnafluxed to ck for cracks first. Then there is some machine work to think about as well...

The electrical system shouldn't be a problem. The voltage regulator/generator/distributor/starter could be replaced if there's an aftermarket kit/setup for it.

Is this a flathead engine?
#1Tidefan
Grad Student

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: March 29, 2011, 01:22:29 AM »

After you finish with that I have a 1957 1/2 Chevrolet Apache in my back yard that needs attention ...   Lips Sealed
She used to work but now she doesn't...

I sure would like to Allie. A COMPLETE restoration should be in order on that truck!
btw...I owned a 55 myself....a beautiful truck! and I got rid of her, like a dumb@#% Angry
#1Tidefan
Grad Student

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: March 29, 2011, 01:32:16 AM »

Most folks don't think about machine work when it comes to any vehicle. Those days of do-it-yourself backyard engine work days are about over...

But I started out grinding cranks. I loved it when customers came in and told me "I need this TURNED" So I just walked over and rolled it with my foot. You GRIND Cranks (with a rock). You TURN Rotors/drums with tool steel implements on a lathe... oh well.

After I got proficient (which takes about a year) I moved on to various other things in the shop. Block-boring/decking/and align-boring, on to the head shop to grind valves/seats/and surfacing.

Yes I do miss it... Sad 
ssmith general
Coach Frank Thomas

E-Cred: 1460

Male

ssmith general

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: March 29, 2011, 03:51:06 AM »

Not a bad idea bro. Parts aren't the only issue here. As old as that engine is, I would pull the whole engine down, and have the head...block...and crank magnafluxed to ck for cracks first. Then there is some machine work to think about as well...

The electrical system shouldn't be a problem. The voltage regulator/generator/distributor/starter could be replaced if there's an aftermarket kit/setup for it.

Not sure.  Parts are not that hard to find because there are so many of those tractors out there.  You have to order them, but they can be found.  

Let me know if you want to play with it.  You certainly can't hurt it at this point.  People want to buy it from me, but it's not for sale, I will probably just push it into the corner of the barn until I am a bazillionaire and then I'll have redone really nice.

I also have a '76 Ford F-100 that needs a seal replaced on the front end of the transmission.  Not a big deal, if dropping a transmission isnt a big deal to you, it is to me.  lol.
« Last Edit: March 29, 2011, 03:52:44 AM by ssmith general » Logged

#1Tidefan
Grad Student

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: March 29, 2011, 06:06:12 AM »

Not sure.  Parts are not that hard to find because there are so many of those tractors out there.  You have to order them, but they can be found.  

Let me know if you want to play with it.  You certainly can't hurt it at this point.  People want to buy it from me, but it's not for sale, I will probably just push it into the corner of the barn until I am a bazillionaire and then I'll have redone really nice.

I also have a '76 Ford F-100 that needs a seal replaced on the front end of the transmission.  Not a big deal, if dropping a transmission isnt a big deal to you, it is to me.  lol.

Thanks, but no thanks man. I'm just not setup for anything like that, but I do appreciate the gesture lol.
Jamos
Coach Gene Stallings

E-Cred: 5801

Male

Jamos

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: March 29, 2011, 06:29:25 AM »

Most folks don't think about machine work when it comes to any vehicle. Those days of do-it-yourself backyard engine work days are about over...

But I started out grinding cranks. I loved it when customers came in and told me "I need this TURNED" So I just walked over and rolled it with my foot. You GRIND Cranks (with a rock). You TURN Rotors/drums with tool steel implements on a lathe... oh well.

After I got proficient (which takes about a year) I moved on to various other things in the shop. Block-boring/decking/and align-boring, on to the head shop to grind valves/seats/and surfacing.

Yes I do miss it... Sad 

Too bad you never hooked up with the Nascar boys or maybe you did?

“There were no arguments, those are called ass-chewings,” . Coach Nick Saban
#1Tidefan
Grad Student

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: March 30, 2011, 12:03:53 AM »

Yes I do miss it... Sad 

Wished I had man. The closest I got, was the 'dirt track gang @ East Alabama motor speedway.  Click here for link
I live about 10 miles from that track, an on a good clear quite night...you can hear'um turnin the revs...

Did a lot machine work for those boys.
Jamos
Coach Gene Stallings

E-Cred: 5801

Male

Jamos

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: March 30, 2011, 06:20:55 AM »

Yes I do miss it... Sad 

Wished I had man. The closest I got, was the 'dirt track gang @ East Alabama motor speedway.  Click here for link
I live about 10 miles from that track, an on a good clear quite night...you can hear'um turnin the revs...

Did a lot machine work for those boys.

There is nothing more fun than the dirt tracks. When I lived in Davenport, Ia, our weekends were the dirt tracks somewhere. As you probably know, it's not hard hard to find a dirt track facility in the Midwest. I still go to a dirt race when we are up there on a summer trip, as well as some drag racing. I went to Brainerd, Mn this past summer for their big NHRA event, it was a blast.

“There were no arguments, those are called ass-chewings,” . Coach Nick Saban
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Next Game

vs.

Day: Saturday
Date: 8/31/2024
Time: TBD
TV: TBD
Radio: Fun 92.7
Tuscaloosa, AL

* Who's Online
  • Dot Guests: 122
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 0