Marshal Dillon Marshal Dillon
E-Cred: 3072
bamaphil bamaphil
E-Cred: 2962
Hannibal Lecter, MD Hannibal Lecter, MD
E-Cred: 2961

Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: ** ANOTHER SCHOOL SHOOTING - South Florida - Broward Co  (Read 23923 times)
2Stater
President Denny

E-Cred: 7921

Male

2Stater

Kazowie!

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: February 14, 2018, 05:25:39 PM »

Shooter is a former student, 18 year old Nicholas Cruz. Sheriff giving an update now.
2Stater
President Denny

Male

2Stater

Kazowie!

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 14, 2018, 05:29:40 PM »

17 dead.  Sad
Chechem
President Denny

E-Cred: 7228

Chechem

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 14, 2018, 07:12:17 PM »

CBS News interviewed a kid who knew the shooter since junior high.  He said the guy was always a punk.  He'd do whatever crazy thing suggested by other kids.  Once threw something through a school window, just to break the glass.  He was finally expelled last year.

McBaman
Coach Xen Scott

E-Cred: 1150

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 14, 2018, 07:32:58 PM »

Summary of recent school shootings.

Click here for link

Catch Prothro
Coach Gene Stallings

E-Cred: 5215

Catch Prothro

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 14, 2018, 08:38:34 PM »

17 dead.  Sad
These were simpler times:

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JCS-g3HwXdc" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JCS-g3HwXdc</a>
N.AL-Tider
Coach Wallace Wade

E-Cred: 3190

N.AL-Tider

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 15, 2018, 06:25:26 AM »

I'm pretty sure that stuff like this happened back in the 70's when I was in school but I don't remember hearing about it.  Back then I remember high school boys would have hunting rifles and shotguns hanging in the gun rack in the back window of their 4X4 trucks.  It wasn't a big deal at all that the guns were there.  I suppose the reason that I don't remember any school shootings from when I was a kid is two-fold.  1. Because I didn't watch the news as intently as I perhaps do today, and 2. because we didn't have the internet and 24-hour news channels that dumped any and every bit of "breaking news" into our lives constantly.  This second point is, IMO, one of the reasons that there have been 18 school shootings since the New Year.  Kids get frustrated, I get that.  They get angry for whatever reason, valid or not, and feel the need to lash out at somebody, anybody, everybody.  With the 24-hour force-feeding of information not only can kids release their anger but they can also get famous at the same time.  Is that why it keeps happening so frequently or are there other reasons that aren't so obvious?  I have no idea.  I just wish these situations would stop happening...

"Play by play, that’s how we win here."

Eddie Jackson  Dec. 2016
Chechem
President Denny

E-Cred: 7228

Chechem

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 15, 2018, 06:45:02 AM »

I'm pretty sure that stuff like this happened back in the 70's when I was in school but I don't remember hearing about it.  Back then I remember high school boys would have hunting rifles and shotguns hanging in the gun rack in the back window of their 4X4 trucks.  It wasn't a big deal at all that the guns were there.  I suppose the reason that I don't remember any school shootings from when I was a kid is two-fold.  1. Because I didn't watch the news as intently as I perhaps do today, and 2. because we didn't have the internet and 24-hour news channels that dumped any and every bit of "breaking news" into our lives constantly.  This second point is, IMO, one of the reasons that there have been 18 school shootings since the New Year.  Kids get frustrated, I get that.  They get angry for whatever reason, valid or not, and feel the need to lash out at somebody, anybody, everybody.  With the 24-hour force-feeding of information not only can kids release their anger but they can also get famous at the same time.  Is that why it keeps happening so frequently or are there other reasons that aren't so obvious?  I have no idea.  I just wish these situations would stop happening...

Clearly there's no one solution to all shootings.
Many of these school shooters are striking back at bullies.
Yesterday's shooter was not bullied.  He may have been a bully himself; a tough kid, a showoff, and a kid without parents (mother just died).

It may be time to start limiting access to weapons.  At least the nuts on no-fly lists shouldn't be allowed to buy guns.  Start there.  Those with mental-health issues too.

I go to gun shows.  I see LOTS of crazy folks, some who can't even put a sentence together, buying guns.  It's worrisome.

I don't think blaming the school will solve it.  Parents likely know when their kids have guns.  Surely we can deal with the parents, though, and ensure that they secure the guns. 

N.AL-Tider
Coach Wallace Wade

N.AL-Tider

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 15, 2018, 07:42:23 AM »

Clearly there's no one solution to all shootings.
Many of these school shooters are striking back at bullies.
Yesterday's shooter was not bullied.  He may have been a bully himself; a tough kid, a showoff, and a kid without parents (mother just died).

It may be time to start limiting access to weapons.  At least the nuts on no-fly lists shouldn't be allowed to buy guns.  Start there.  Those with mental-health issues too.

I go to gun shows.  I see LOTS of crazy folks, some who can't even put a sentence together, buying guns.  It's worrisome.

I don't think blaming the school will solve it.  Parents likely know when their kids have guns.  Surely we can deal with the parents, though, and ensure that they secure the guns. 

Did you ever work in education in elementary, middle, or high school?  Parents of kids there are totally different from parents of college kids.  Yes, they know if their kids have guns but, "Little Johnny deserves to have one."  You don't have a right to tell my kids that he/she can't do something.  That's just wrong!  Parents too often want to be the "best friend" of their kids and not their authority figure.  Hence, the problems that we have in society today...

Eddie Jackson  Dec. 2016
2Stater
President Denny

Male

2Stater

Kazowie!

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 15, 2018, 08:20:00 AM »

With the 24-hour force-feeding of information not only can kids release their anger but they can also get famous at the same time.

To quote a former poster, "BINGO!".

If the media quit releasing the names of these shooters, you would see a great reduction in these senseless killings. Maybe all of them. The notoriety is what they are seeking.
bama57
Coach Xen Scott

E-Cred: 3858

bama57

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 15, 2018, 09:16:39 AM »

isn't it time that we tried a different solution to the problem. Take him to the football field  and nailed him to the cross and let the whole world watch  as he bleeds out on his journey to hell
« Last Edit: February 15, 2018, 09:19:41 AM by bama57 » Logged
2Stater
President Denny

Male

2Stater

Kazowie!

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: February 15, 2018, 09:55:28 AM »

isn't it time that we tried a different solution to the problem. Take him to the football field  and nailed him to the cross and let the whole world watch  as he bleeds out on his journey to hell

Or let the parents have him for 10 minutes.
Catch Prothro
Coach Gene Stallings

E-Cred: 5215

Catch Prothro

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: February 15, 2018, 12:07:42 PM »

People on terrorist watch lists and those with known mental health issues shouldn't be allowed to buy guns.  That's a time bomb waiting to go off.  I don't understand why the government is moving in the opposite direction.  This "kid" apparently bought the AR-15 himself (he was over 18 yo).  His psychiatrist/psychologist was not allowed (by Florida law) to ask him if he owned a gun to determine the level of threat he posed to himself or others.

As far as I can tell, AR-15s have only one purpose, mass killing.  They aren't well-designed for hunting or self-defense.  These aren't the "arms" considered by the nation's founders when writing the second amendment, any more than they considered nuclear weapons, Gatling guns, chemical weapons, or other weapons of mass killing.  Certainly I think it does not run afoul of the second amendment to place reasonable limits on the number of rounds a gun magazine can hold, and prohibit sales of guns that can be converted into automatic weapons.

While these steps likely will not eliminate these incidents, they very well could limit the severity of the carnage.  (There have been school attacks in Russia by kids using knives, and no one has died.)  Eliminating gun access to those most likely to commit these heinous acts might actually stop an attack or two.

In the meantime, these attacks are part of reality in the USA (though not in the rest of the civilized world).  We might as well get used to it.  No amount of blaming others, or thoughts and prayers, will stop it.  It will take politicians with courage to address the issues head on, but those seem to be in short supply these days.
Hannibal Lecter, MD
Coach Wallace Wade

E-Cred: 2961

Hannibal Lecter, MD

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: February 15, 2018, 12:38:39 PM »

You aren't going to legislate the problem away.  If the thought of death or life in prison isn't a deterrent, neither is purchasing a firearm illegally.  An AR-15 isn't any more deadly than a handgun in a close quarters situation other than the magazine count.  Theoretically you could carry four 9mm handguns in a bag, be just as or more lethal, and also have less problem with concealment.

It's easy to "make them harder to get" for people who want to follow rules.  It's not easy to stop people who don't follow rules or care about consequences.

Frankly, there probably isn't an answer.  As long as evil people want to do evil acts in the world, evil acts will take place.  The best possible way to slow it down or alleviate it likely would be to take it out of the media.  It's almost become "mainstream" now, so the nuts are more likely to go in that direction.

However, censoring the news isn't something we should be in the business of doing in this country either.

It's about time to put metal detectors and armed security in the school budgets.
« Last Edit: February 15, 2018, 12:42:20 PM by Hannibal Lecter, MD » Logged
N.AL-Tider
Coach Wallace Wade

N.AL-Tider

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: February 15, 2018, 01:08:46 PM »

You aren't going to legislate the problem away.  If the thought of death or life in prison isn't a deterrent, neither is purchasing a firearm illegally.  An AR-15 isn't any more deadly than a handgun in a close quarters situation other than the magazine count.  Theoretically you could carry four 9mm handguns in a bag, be just as or more lethal, and also have less problem with concealment.

It's easy to "make them harder to get" for people who want to follow rules.  It's not easy to stop people who don't follow rules or care about consequences.

Frankly, there probably isn't an answer.  As long as evil people want to do evil acts in the world, evil acts will take place.  The best possible way to slow it down or alleviate it likely would be to take it out of the media.  It's almost become "mainstream" now, so the nuts are more likely to go in that direction.

However, censoring the news isn't something we should be in the business of doing in this country either.

It's about time to put metal detectors and armed security in the school budgets.
I agree 100%.  The liberal media (sorry if I am turning this political because that is not my intent) wants to cry and complain that the government isn't doing what needs to be done for this problem.  However, there are many laws already on the books that can and should help protect the public from this type situation.  More laws won't do anything other than make it more difficult for law abiding citizens to own weapons.  The media could make a stand against this type of violence by using self-restraint by NOT publicizing the names of these people that are committing these horrible acts.  Probably do more good than all of their moaning and groaning about the government ever will do...

Eddie Jackson  Dec. 2016
ricky023
President Denny

E-Cred: 5062

Male

ricky023

To Be One Ask One

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: February 15, 2018, 04:16:12 PM »

We had a way of releasing built up tension in our bodies in the 60's and 70's. We hauled hay, we plowed mules, we hoed gardens. We cleaned out chicken houses with a scoop and if that didn't work then daddy busted our rears with the buckle end of a belt or plow line. We didn't have any terrible school shootins at Ranburne. RTR!

John 15:5
"The Preacher"
"Rangers Lead the Way"
1/75th Rangers
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Next Game

vs.

Day: Saturday
Date: 8/31/2024
Time: TBD
TV: TBD
Radio: Fun 92.7
Tuscaloosa, AL

* Who's Online
  • Dot Guests: 169
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 0