Marshal Dillon Marshal Dillon
E-Cred: 3072
bamaphil bamaphil
E-Cred: 2962
Hannibal Lecter, MD Hannibal Lecter, MD
E-Cred: 2961

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: "Courtney Upshaw 'going to keep his head up' - Hightower says"  (Read 5597 times)
Chechem
President Denny

E-Cred: 7228

Chechem

View Profile
« on: April 27, 2012, 04:26:24 AM »

Click here for link

Dont'a Hightower was caught up in the moment, interviewing with a new face every five minutes after he was selected by the New England Patriots with the 25th pick in Thursday's NFL Draft.

... And then he heard the news about his teammate, Courtney Upshaw, who was invited to Radio City Music Hall for Thursday's first round, but didn't hear his name called.

"That kind of threw me out of whack," Hightower said....

"He's going to keep his head up regardless of what round he goes," Hightower said. "Courtney's a hell of a player. Regardless of what round he goes, whenever he gets to the league and puts his pads on, he's going to be a good player. It doesn't matter. He's a good player."

2Stater
President Denny

E-Cred: 7921

Male

2Stater

Kazowie!

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2012, 05:04:56 AM »

Click here for link

Dont'a Hightower was caught up in the moment, interviewing with a new face every five minutes after he was selected by the New England Patriots with the 25th pick in Thursday's NFL Draft.

... And then he heard the news about his teammate, Courtney Upshaw, who was invited to Radio City Music Hall for Thursday's first round, but didn't hear his name called.

"That kind of threw me out of whack," Hightower said....

"He's going to keep his head up regardless of what round he goes," Hightower said. "Courtney's a hell of a player. Regardless of what round he goes, whenever he gets to the league and puts his pads on, he's going to be a good player. It doesn't matter. He's a good player."

I can't believe some of those dog-azzed picks made last night and he's still available. I'm guessing he's a first 5 pick in the 2nd round. Whoever gets him will darn sure have a leg up.
crtuneman
Grad Student

E-Cred: 105

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2012, 08:55:12 AM »

I have been reading the draft analysis on ESPN and I am scratching my head over these defensive guys that got taken ahead of CU. Everyone knows about the insanity of the Bruce Irvin pick, but KC reached with the DT Poe. He came from a crappy school and played crappy competition and still didn't show up on film. He only showed up at the combine. Melvin Ingram was a stretch as well, because he is a tweener just like CU. He's too small for DT but doesn't rush from the edge that much. I see him struggling to make the transition in the NFL. That DE from NC whose name escapes me right now is another questionable pick. He has all kinds of off the field issues, and he has a lot of questions about his desire. He takes too many plays off. It just doesn't make any sense for these guys to go ahead of CU when CU never took plays off, can both bull rush and use great edge moves, has great lateral movement (He was chasing down RBs from across the field against LSU), and has great instincts. Plus, this kid is a good kid who doesn't have any character issues, and he's a leader on the field. There are a lot of GMs who are going to be sorry they missed on CU when they strap on pads. As an aside, KC has drafted DTs before with a top ten pick, and neither one has worked out. Glenn Dorsey and Tyoka Jackson are both average players that KC wasted top ten picks on in the last 5 yrs. Poe will be bust number 3, IMO.
double nickel
Junior

E-Cred: 95

double nickel

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2012, 09:11:43 AM »

I never knew there was this big a crack smoking problem at the NFL owner level.

Catch Prothro
Coach Gene Stallings

E-Cred: 5215

Catch Prothro

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2012, 09:36:43 AM »

I have been reading the draft analysis on ESPN and I am scratching my head over these defensive guys that got taken ahead of CU. Everyone knows about the insanity of the Bruce Irvin pick, but KC reached with the DT Poe. He came from a crappy school and played crappy competition and still didn't show up on film. He only showed up at the combine. Melvin Ingram was a stretch as well, because he is a tweener just like CU. He's too small for DT but doesn't rush from the edge that much. I see him struggling to make the transition in the NFL. That DE from NC whose name escapes me right now is another questionable pick. He has all kinds of off the field issues, and he has a lot of questions about his desire. He takes too many plays off. It just doesn't make any sense for these guys to go ahead of CU when CU never took plays off, can both bull rush and use great edge moves, has great lateral movement (He was chasing down RBs from across the field against LSU), and has great instincts. Plus, this kid is a good kid who doesn't have any character issues, and he's a leader on the field. There are a lot of GMs who are going to be sorry they missed on CU when they strap on pads. As an aside, KC has drafted DTs before with a top ten pick, and neither one has worked out. Glenn Dorsey and Tyoka Jackson are both average players that KC wasted top ten picks on in the last 5 yrs. Poe will be bust number 3, IMO.
Excellent analysis.  Some of those picks were head scratchers.  The NC guy, Quinton Coples, has talent but as you say seems to lack desire.  He probably will fit perfectly with the Jets.
2Stater
President Denny

Male

2Stater

Kazowie!

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 27, 2012, 10:43:11 AM »

Ed Zachary!
ricky023
President Denny

E-Cred: 5062

Male

ricky023

To Be One Ask One

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 27, 2012, 11:13:03 AM »

Well one thing for sure we are going to see some fast movement the rest of the way. CU will go early and the way our guys was being picked last had to impress the recruits. RTR!

John 15:5
"The Preacher"
"Rangers Lead the Way"
1/75th Rangers
cbbama99
Coach Wallace Wade

E-Cred: 2889

Male

cbbama99

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 27, 2012, 02:09:56 PM »

Well one thing for sure we are going to see some fast movement the rest of the way. CU will go early and the way our guys was being picked last had to impress the recruits. RTR!

I hope so, bro. ricky. I would love it if my boys in Baltimore picked him up at 35.  Pray

"Fat, drunk, and stupid is no way to go through life, son."
ricky023
President Denny

E-Cred: 5062

Male

ricky023

To Be One Ask One

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 27, 2012, 03:15:49 PM »

Should he go to the Ravens and they already have MT. Cody, that be a great pair on the front line. RTR!

John 15:5
"The Preacher"
"Rangers Lead the Way"
1/75th Rangers
Jamos
Coach Gene Stallings

E-Cred: 5801

Male

Jamos

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 27, 2012, 05:33:45 PM »

It's too bad for Courtney but I think there may be a couple of teams that really want him but had to stick with their #1 choice and I think it will be a team that had a high first round pick. I don't think there's that much difference in pay between a low first rounder and a high second rounder. Maybe someone on here will have some stats on the breakdown of the monies.

“There were no arguments, those are called ass-chewings,” . Coach Nick Saban
Catch Prothro
Coach Gene Stallings

E-Cred: 5215

Catch Prothro

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 27, 2012, 08:27:36 PM »

The Ravens is the perfect team for CU.  Some teams try to fit players into their system.  That was why there were fit issues for CU.

Baltimore, on the other hand, takes the talent they have and let them play their game -- they scheme around the talent, and not the other way around.

Congrats to Upshaw.
BAMAWV
Coach Nick Saban

E-Cred: 2454

BAMAWV

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 27, 2012, 09:11:43 PM »

I believe the SEC has a marked lead in the # of players drafted so far.  I am surprised the advantage is not more prevalent. The week in and week out level of competition within the SEC in itself should be a determining factor by the NFL. Top to bottom the SEC is the conference of champions, with champion attitudes among it's rosters.  These players have shown, season after season, that the "big stage" does not scare them. The fierce competition does not end on Saturdays.  With deeper rosters in a geograpical hotbed of football talent, even Parade All-Americans sometimes wither on the vine. My particular source of astonishment, was the LB picks from WV and BC. I contend that even 2S's MeeMaw could wage a strong pass rush (and defend against the run) against the offensive lines from the Big East or LOL,--the Big 12).

If my standards are not high enough, kindly lower yours.
2Stater
President Denny

Male

2Stater

Kazowie!

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 27, 2012, 09:37:12 PM »

I believe the SEC has a marked lead in the # of players drafted so far.  I am surprised the advantage is not more prevalent. The week in and week out level of competition within the SEC in itself should be a determining factor by the NFL. Top to bottom the SEC is the conference of champions, with champion attitudes among it's rosters.  These players have shown, season after season, that the "big stage" does not scare them. The fierce competition does not end on Saturdays.  With deeper rosters in a geograpical hotbed of football talent, even Parade All-Americans sometimes wither on the vine. My particular source of astonishment, was the LB picks from WV and BC. I contend that even 2S's MeeMaw could wage a strong pass rush (and defend against the run) against the offensive lines from the Big East or LOL,--the Big 12).

MeeMaw MawMaw is pretty darn tough. Don't underestimate her. And dear Lord, don't mock her! HTH.   Go ahead, make my day
BAMAWV
Coach Nick Saban

E-Cred: 2454

BAMAWV

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 27, 2012, 09:58:10 PM »

MeeMaw MawMaw is pretty darn tough. Don't underestimate her. And dear Lord, don't mock her! HTH.   Go ahead, make my day
Mocking? She seems to be a strong, pants wearing type woman. Your attempt to characterize her with the WWW.Wrestling stuff made me wonder if she was steeped in capitalism and saw an opportunity for the Pensacola Grappler to get a real job! (lol) Regardless, drop the Lord stuff and just refer to me as BAMAWV, MW, or whatever.

If my standards are not high enough, kindly lower yours.
SUPERCOACH
Coach Bear Bryant

E-Cred: 5654

Male

SUPERCOACH

"Let's go."

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 27, 2012, 11:19:02 PM »

drop the Lord stuff and just refer to me as BAMAWV, MW, or whatever.

Laughing Laughing Laughing

"The same thing win, that always won... and we just have a different bunch of excuses if we lose"
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Next Game

vs.

Day: Saturday
Date: 8/31/2024
Time: TBD
TV: TBD
Radio: Fun 92.7
Tuscaloosa, AL

* Who's Online
  • Dot Guests: 343
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 0