Marshal Dillon Marshal Dillon
E-Cred: 3072
bamaphil bamaphil
E-Cred: 2962
Hannibal Lecter, MD Hannibal Lecter, MD
E-Cred: 2961

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Vandy vs Bama game notes:  (Read 25819 times)
SUPERCOACH
Coach Bear Bryant

E-Cred: 5654

Male

SUPERCOACH

"Let's go."

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: October 09, 2011, 07:41:50 PM »

No 0 either.  It should be:

1) 0
2) ham sammich
3) who is dd

"The same thing win, that always won... and we just have a different bunch of excuses if we lose"
BAMADCHAMPSHIPS
Coach E. B. Beaumont

E-Cred: 3378

Male

BAMADCHAMPSHIPS

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: October 09, 2011, 07:43:06 PM »

No 0 either.  It should be:

1) 0
2) ham sammich
3) who is dd

Laughing Applause E-Cred
BAMAWV
Coach Nick Saban

E-Cred: 2454

BAMAWV

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: October 09, 2011, 08:23:12 PM »

Great notes, hsc. I'll be re-watching the game in a few minutes. I'll watch for stuff you talked about. I take notes during the game. No one cares at all about my opinions. Hey, Roll Tide!

I would like to see your notes.
LOL-- I would be embarrassed to show YOU. Stuff like--"What the "H" is TR putting in his hair--blonde?" or "Is Vandy really hurt that many times, or pulling a LSU stall tactic?" or "Bob Greise sounds like Gary Danielson,-- without Verne butting in".

Laughing

You really feel compelled to write that stuff down?  Cheesy
It keeps my mind less cluttered.  I would have done a little better job, if I knew hsc might see them.

If my standards are not high enough, kindly lower yours.
SUPERCOACH
Coach Bear Bryant

E-Cred: 5654

Male

SUPERCOACH

"Let's go."

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: October 09, 2011, 08:31:20 PM »

Great notes, hsc. I'll be re-watching the game in a few minutes. I'll watch for stuff you talked about. I take notes during the game. No one cares at all about my opinions. Hey, Roll Tide!

I would like to see your notes.
LOL-- I would be embarrassed to show YOU. Stuff like--"What the "H" is TR putting in his hair--blonde?" or "Is Vandy really hurt that many times, or pulling a LSU stall tactic?" or "Bob Greise sounds like Gary Danielson,-- without Verne butting in".

Laughing

You really feel compelled to write that stuff down?  Cheesy
It keeps my mind less cluttered.  I would have done a little better job, if I knew hsc might see them.

Laughing

Cleaning out the attic huh?  I should try that.

"The same thing win, that always won... and we just have a different bunch of excuses if we lose"
BAMAWV
Coach Nick Saban

BAMAWV

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: October 10, 2011, 09:10:10 PM »

For hsc:

Do you play chess, hsc? The reason I ask has to do with BATR lining up sometimes at wide out.

Learned this morning that the "D" is locked in on what personnel they have on the field, once Bama breaks the huddle. Therefore, CNS knows they need the extra down lineman or backer in the game. But when the Tide goes "empty" backfield with TR split on way or the other, the Tide now has forced a backer covering a wideout. Like a big chess match. Who can think that fast? these things planned in advance?

hscoach
Coach Xen Scott

E-Cred: 2824

hscoach

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: October 11, 2011, 10:21:35 AM »

For hsc:

Do you play chess, hsc? The reason I ask has to do with BATR lining up sometimes at wide out.

Learned this morning that the "D" is locked in on what personnel they have on the field, once Bama breaks the huddle. Therefore, CNS knows they need the extra down lineman or backer in the game. But when the Tide goes "empty" backfield with TR split on way or the other, the Tide now has forced a backer covering a wideout. Like a big chess match. Who can think that fast? these things planned in advance?

Coaches usually have packages for personnel in the game.  Now if TR switches to a wideout the D usually has a counter D for the personnel on the field. Coaches have computer programs that breaks down down/distance/hash/personnel and formations.
BAMAWV
Coach Nick Saban

BAMAWV

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: October 11, 2011, 12:35:05 PM »

For hsc:

Coaches usually have packages for personnel in the game.  Now if TR switches to a wideout the D usually has a counter D for the personnel on the field. Coaches have computer programs that breaks down down/distance/hash/personnel and formations.
So the OC and the DC each are carry a set of personnel groupings that "key" off of TR or maybe a Sims/TR package and a AJ and TR package, etc.  Then the OC is counting what? The number of linebackers? He then has a grouping of plays to call, or is that all done by situation (down and yardage)?

hscoach
Coach Xen Scott

hscoach

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: October 11, 2011, 12:54:16 PM »

The OC is looking at down and distance.  According to that, they may use a certain package which has a set of plays associated with it.  They also look at what the  D does in certain Down and Distance.

On the D side they have coaches checking who is in the game.  For instance 2 TE's /  3 wides, etc. They set their D according to down and distance with the tendacies that the computer printed out.  If there is a shift, say where TR goes to a wide out, they have a check or different D they can call.  Hope I am clear on what I am trying to explain.
BAMAWV
Coach Nick Saban

BAMAWV

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: October 11, 2011, 01:04:25 PM »

Way clear. You see where I'm going with all this. You guys are carrying huge amounts of info to make quick decisions from. Also, that changes each week because each teams tendencies are different.

I drill wells. Make calls all the time which could cost huge amounts of money. BUT THERE IS NO CLOCK TICKING. I can walk away from the rig, sit  and think a few minutes, maybe make a couple of phone calls.

So this all comes a little at a time, as you work your way up from asst. OL coach, to OL coach, to OC, to head coach? I guess that is why they hold practices. Whew!

hscoach
Coach Xen Scott

hscoach

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: October 11, 2011, 08:48:07 PM »

Since the computer scouting programs have come along it has become a lot easier.  Here are just some of the reports that are run from a defensive standpoint.

1.  Top 10 formations  Which will include player #'s for package recognition.
2.  Top 1o running plays
3.  Top 10 passing plays
4.  Top 10 plays on 1st and long 7 to 10 yards
5.  Top 10 plays on 1st and medium 7 to 4 yards.  It happens because of penalties
6.  Top 10 plays on 2nd and long; 2nd and med.  7 to 4 yards ; 2nd and short 3 yards or less
7.  Top 10 plays on 3rd and long; 3rd and med.; 3rd and short
8.  Passing zone's where they like to throw the ball.

The list goes on.  You can feed what stats in that you want and generate the info you want.  Also, some programs will now allow you to make a tape/dvd of each of the situations. 
BAMAWV
Coach Nick Saban

BAMAWV

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: October 12, 2011, 01:18:52 AM »

Yeah.  I was a step ahead and about ask yesterday. But even with the program, you would need too much time to enter the variables. Say again from a DC standpoint, and even with a touch tone screen, you would I guess have to enter players #s. Then the down and yardage info, unless the computer was somehow following the game real time. I thought of it, but just blew it off because of not enough time between plays, but maybe not if the computers are networked and someone else is adding in down and yardage. SuperCoach could probably figure out how to work it. So there are companies that sell High Schools and Colleges programs of each opponent  to run and the coaches then enter the variables? Also some programs have action figures like Madden2011 or one of the other video games? Amazing!
« Last Edit: October 12, 2011, 01:22:44 AM by BAMAWV » Logged

hscoach
Coach Xen Scott

hscoach

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: October 12, 2011, 08:27:08 AM »

They don't actually sell the progam of the opponent.  You have too, as you stated, enter the info into the computer.  Fortunatlly, out here in Tx, you have middle schools who scout, usually 3 games and can input the info after the game.  Also, the computer can divide the Offense and Defense video so all you have to watch is the O or D.
BAMAWV
Coach Nick Saban

BAMAWV

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: October 12, 2011, 04:06:13 PM »

They don't actually sell the progam of the opponent.  You have too, as you stated, enter the info into the computer.  Fortunatlly, out here in Tx, you have middle schools who scout, usually 3 games and can input the info after the game.  Also, the computer can divide the Offense and Defense video so all you have to watch is the O or D.
All our computers on the drill rig are tied into the same info, gathered by a company called Pason(there are others). Revolutions per minute, weight on bit, pump pressure, depth, etc.. It is also sent via satellite to the oil company home office, in REAL time. I get that on my desk in WV. So it is possible there is a way to tie into the game clock, all the computers at the stadium, plus to ESPN 360 or whomever. So if the OC or DC is running off official real time info, and the scoreboard has the football lit up  showing you are on, say, offense, then maybe, automatically your choices of plays shows up. Then as you add more info, say #s of players on "D", the program further breaks down your list of possible calls. Do you think I'm getting carried away here, or is this close to what is in front of the OC if he is sitting in the booth? 

bamalum67
Grad Student

E-Cred: 119

Male

bamalum67

Bama born and Bama bred

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: October 12, 2011, 04:52:30 PM »

Would anyone like to guess which BAMA former player---head coach at a SEC school ----"invented" computer programs for use in coaching?

I would request 5 e-creds for the first to guess correctly.  5 -  because computer programs  are so widely used these days, and are vital.

Caveat: I am not sure this guy "invented" such, but he at least made it newsworthy.

"It ain't the size of the dog in the fight..it's the size of the fight in the dog"
BAMAWV
Coach Nick Saban

BAMAWV

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: October 12, 2011, 05:26:33 PM »

Would anyone like to guess which BAMA former player---head coach at a SEC school ----"invented" computer programs for use in coaching?

I would request 5 e-creds for the first to guess correctly.  5 -  because computer programs  are so widely used these days, and are vital.

Caveat: I am not sure this guy "invented" such, but he at least made it newsworthy.
Croom?

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Next Game

vs.

Day: Saturday
Date: 8/31/2024
Time: TBD
TV: TBD
Radio: Fun 92.7
Tuscaloosa, AL

* Who's Online
  • Dot Guests: 337
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 0