Marshal Dillon Marshal Dillon
E-Cred: 3072
bamaphil bamaphil
E-Cred: 2962
Hannibal Lecter, MD Hannibal Lecter, MD
E-Cred: 2961

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Game notes: CSU vs Bama  (Read 2659 times)
hscoach
Coach Xen Scott

E-Cred: 2824

hscoach

View Profile
« on: November 21, 2015, 06:55:24 PM »

First: Congrats to the Bama players and coaches on the victory.  This was a game that was decided before the first snap.  You had a bunch of top rated athletes playing against a good team from their division.  It was also good to see that Bama did not take this game lightly and played hard. 
Offense:  Bama put together 403 yards of offense and probably would have been more if they hadn’t had the short fields as well as losing 2 offensive possessions because of the punt returns for touchdowns.  I have Bama for 2 negative plays the whole day.  One was a sack which could have been thrown away by Bateman and the other was a tackle for loss which wasn’t blocked well and seem to be some indecision before the play.  I don’t have Bama having any 3 and outs the whole game.  As far as plays for 10+ yards, Bama had 5 runs and 9 passes.   Basically they scored at will and did whatever they wanted on the offensive side of the ball.  I have them getting in the red zone 5 times and scoring 4 touchdowns.  On the other trip they missed a field goal that was taken by Scott.  There were 4 touchdowns scored from outside the red zone and 2 of those were punt returns by Jones. 
QB:  I thought Coker played a very good game.  He did miss on the deep ball, but it also looked like the route may have been off.  He hit the hot on the corner blitz which helps prevent teams from running it.  He threw a dart on the touchdown pass to Ridley.  Bateman also played well.  Two of his best throws were incompletes.  I actually think in a closer game there would have been interference called on the plays in question.  His only knock was he could have thrown the ball away on the scramble which would have saved a sack. 
RB:  They all ran hard.  Henry was Henry and it was good that he was able to get out of the game early.  I like the way Scarbrough ran the ball.  Also, Harris looked pretty good.  I think Clark also has potential.  The only knock was a couple of missed pass blocking assignments.
REC:  The caught the ball well. Nine different rec’s caught the ball, not counting Henry.  The catch by Mullaney was good and a very good example of how to high point the ball as a rec. 
OL:  They dominated and should have.  They out weighted the DL by an average of 60 pounds.  This was a great opportunity to make sure you were taking the proper steps and blocking the assignments as you are suppose too.  There was a couple of missed blocks on the roll out and I know one was the right guard.  The second OL came in and did a pretty good job.  I would have really like early on for the coaches to mix in some of the back-ups with the starters and let them work together. 
Defense:  The defense played well.  This seems to be a common theme.  The defense only gave up 134 total yards.  We also know they were not playing all the starters on the offensive side of the ball.  I have the defense for 5 three and outs and a 2 and out.  As far as negative plays, Bama had 9 tackles for losses, 2 interceptions and 2 fumbles one that was recovered by Bama.  If my numbers are correct they gave up 2 running plays for 10+ yards and 2 pass plays for 10+ yards.  The only concerns I had was Bama allowed them to get on the edge when they lost contain and they actually over pursued and allowed the ball carrier to get a few yards.  Sometimes this is caused because they want to make a play so bad, they lose their assignment.
DL:  They all played well.  Not a lot to say here because they outmanned the other team so bad.
LB:  With the option they had to play sideline to sideline.  I thought Hamilton played well when he was in there. 
DB:  Most of the day they had to come up and play the option.  They did a good job but there were a couple of times when they got cut.  On one option, Brown took a bad angle an allowed the QB to get outside.  They did give up the big pass play and that was the back-ups who were probably so focused on the run they allowed the rec to get deep.
Penalties:  Bama only had two penalties and both of those should have been avoided.  One was the call on #15 on the punt return for the touchdown.  It was behind the play and all the guy had to do was raise his hands and signal touchdown.  The other was the late hit called on Brown when they were far out of bounds.
Special Teams:  Griffith looked good kicking the ball.  The only real return by the other team was when he had to kick from 15 yards back because of the penalty mentioned above.  Jones made a smart play on the first punt return for the TD.  Overall they played well on special teams and set a record with two punt returns for touchdowns.
Finally:  What I really liked about this game was the opportunity to get many players in the game and get valuable game experience.  Plus they got to continue to run their offense and not just run the clock out.
Please feel free to comment.
Good Luck and Roll Tide Roll
15 and counting
2Stater
President Denny

E-Cred: 7920

Male

2Stater

Kazowie!

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2015, 07:17:48 PM »

Great report, Coach! They whooped butt from the get-go. It was great to see the bench empty in the 2nd quarter. Bo nearly ran amok in the 2nd half.  Cool
BAMADCHAMPSHIPS
Coach E. B. Beaumont

E-Cred: 3378

Male

BAMADCHAMPSHIPS

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2015, 08:58:59 PM »

Why do I get the feeling you had this typed up before the game.... Grin
hscoach
Coach Xen Scott

hscoach

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2015, 09:11:36 PM »

With the pace of the game it was easy to do the notes and then transfer them.  Part of it was very easy to write. Cool
lstephen
Coach E. B. Beaumont

E-Cred: 83

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 22, 2015, 09:29:49 AM »

Thanks, Coach!  Any early thoughts on the Iron Bowl?
carl childers
Grad Student

E-Cred: 349

Male

carl childers

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 23, 2015, 07:18:10 AM »

hscoach, how do you see the RB rotation for the Iron Bowl?

Saban about the 2011 Alabama defense: "They are a hateful bunch..."
hscoach
Coach Xen Scott

hscoach

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 24, 2015, 04:35:50 PM »

Nothing new, but they need to establish dominance on with the OL.  One defense they are going to have to be very discipline and play great assignment football.
hscoach
Coach Xen Scott

hscoach

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 24, 2015, 04:37:36 PM »

With the news of Drake working out, I don't know.  i would be very hesitant of playing him because a good shot on the arm could be a turnover.  I think Bo has the ability, hope he knows the pass blocking schemes.
Jamos
Coach Gene Stallings

E-Cred: 5801

Male

Jamos

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 24, 2015, 04:52:22 PM »

With the news of Drake working out, I don't know.  i would be very hesitant of playing him because a good shot on the arm could be a turnover.  I think Bo has the ability, hope he knows the pass blocking schemes.

^^^THIS^^^ CNS always reminds everyone about the high school super star running backs. he says they all know how to run the football but how many of them know how to block and tackle when they aren't running the football. That is the reason that so many freshmen play on special teams when they arrive.

“There were no arguments, those are called ass-chewings,” . Coach Nick Saban
McBaman
Coach Xen Scott

E-Cred: 1150

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 25, 2015, 09:40:40 AM »

Nothing new, but they need to establish dominance on with the OL.  One defense they are going to have to be very discipline and play great assignment football.

Right on coach!  Gus will pull out every trick he has so assignment FB on D will be very important. Gotta keep containment.  Also hope our DL can crash through their OL and blow up a few plays before they develop.

Also expect Gus to push the limits of linemen downfield so hope refs are paying attention.  If not, CNS needs to get them paying attention.
2Stater
President Denny

E-Cred: 7920

Male

2Stater

Kazowie!

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 25, 2015, 10:02:07 AM »

Right on coach!  Gus will pull out every trick he has so assignment FB on D will be very important. Gotta keep containment.  Also hope our DL can crash through their OL and blow up a few plays before they develop.

Also expect Gus to push the limits of linemen downfield so hope refs are paying attention.  If not, CNS needs to get them paying attention.

Amen to that! We've been on the short end of those plays too many times, especially from the barn.
SUPERCOACH
Coach Bear Bryant

E-Cred: 5654

Male

SUPERCOACH

"Let's go."

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 25, 2015, 01:45:15 PM »

I am concerned about their QB play.  I predict Jeremy Johnson will go 4 out of 5 on passes to the Alabama defense. 

"The same thing win, that always won... and we just have a different bunch of excuses if we lose"
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Next Game

vs.

Day: Saturday
Date: 8/31/2024
Time: TBD
TV: TBD
Radio: Fun 92.7
Tuscaloosa, AL

* Who's Online
  • Dot Guests: 154
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 0