Marshal Dillon Marshal Dillon
E-Cred: 3072
bamaphil bamaphil
E-Cred: 2962
Hannibal Lecter, MD Hannibal Lecter, MD
E-Cred: 2961

Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Game notes: UF vs Bama  (Read 9948 times)
hscoach
Coach Xen Scott

E-Cred: 2824

hscoach

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: September 22, 2014, 11:28:02 AM »

Thansk guys, glad you enjoy it.  I do love talking Bama football.
bama57
Coach Xen Scott

E-Cred: 3858

bama57

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 22, 2014, 12:15:17 PM »

Hey hscoach! I always read your posts on game notes and appreciate it. That being said I don't usually comment because it boggles my mind at what ALL you pick up on that I totally miss. THANKS!
SeniorTSM
Senior

E-Cred: 306

SeniorTSM

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 22, 2014, 12:19:06 PM »

Coach you do a great job every week!

I wanted your opinion on the Kicker, i know you said you thought he misalinged, any thought that the big game nevers got to him? he kicked one out of bounds too (or was that not him)?
hscoach
Coach Xen Scott

hscoach

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 22, 2014, 12:48:40 PM »

Coach you do a great job every week!

I wanted your opinion on the Kicker, i know you said you thought he misalinged, any thought that the big game nevers got to him? he kicked one out of bounds too (or was that not him)?

On the kick off, and this is my opinion, it didn't look like he took his steps the way he did before.  This can happen if you are a stride off.  I am not worried about the field goal because of how solid he hit the ball.  It wasn't a horrible looking shank like some of my golf shots. 
hscoach
Coach Xen Scott

hscoach

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 22, 2014, 12:59:50 PM »

Did anyone else notice on the last TD by DH,  Bama could have been called for DW not being set?  The only thing I can say is maybe, since he can go in motion, and he wasn't going forward, they didn't call it.
Peewee from Grand Bay
Junior

E-Cred: 1491

Peewee from Grand Bay

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 22, 2014, 02:28:08 PM »

First:   Congrats to Bama for the win.  Bama won the game despite giving up 21 points because of turnovers. 

Offense:   The offense put up 645 yards of offense against UF.  Again, I thought CLK called a very good game.   The best example was the first play of the game.  They put up this much offense and had 12 negative plays during the game.  They had 7 tackles for losses, 1 sack, 3 lost fumble, and an interception.  They only had 1 three and out.  They did have 3 one and outs.  Two were long touchdown passes and the other was a fumble.  They got into the red zone 5 times and scored 4 touchdowns, while the other was a turning over the ball on downs while not running up the score.  In the first half Bama had 1 run for 10+ yards while in the 2nd half they had six for 10+ yards.  In the first half they had 7 pass plays for 10+ yards and 4 in the second half.  There were 2 touchdowns that came from outside the red zone.   The touchdown drives were 87, 79, 64, 58, 80 and 69 yards.  They did miss one field goal which I will address later.  They also committed too many penalties which I will address later.  I also thought the plays getting to the offense went more smoothly this game.  The way the safeties were filling I expected a little more play action.  This game could/should have been 24-0 at the half.   Ball security is/was an issue that Bama was able to overcome this game.  CLK also called the proper time to run the screens in the 2nd half.  Probably one of the best statistics of the game was Bama gong 12 for 16 on 3rd down.  A couple of these were tough because of penalties. 

QB:  Sims completed 70 percent of his passes and with the long ball averaged almost 14 yards per throw.  He threw the deep ball well yesterday.  I thought one of his best throws was the fade to AC that was disallowed because of the illegal formation.  There was one play that Sims should have checked down instead of trying to force the ball to AC.  However, AC almost made a heck of a catch.  The simple throw would have gotten a first down.  Sims also held on to the ball too long once which led to a sack.  Coker came in and finished off a drive for a TD without warming up, but Bama had the running game working by then.  I do think this late in the season Coker shouldn’t have to run to the sideline to get the play. 

RB:   The running back ran hard and were hit hard by the filling LB’s and safeties from UF.  There is rarely a time when one player alone brings down a Bama back.  There were a couple of times TJY did a great job pass blocking.  First, he helped when it looked like CR was losing his player.  The second was on a blitz where he actually blocks two players with one block.  He actually knocked one player into another stopping their rush.  I know KD fumbled, but did you notice his breakaway speed on the first pass play.  He was leaving the UF player who probably thought he had the angle on him.  One of the knocks I have with the Bama running backs is where they have the ball on the inside instead of moving it to the outside arm.

REC:  Again, AC was the main target.  I am not sure any player can jam him on the LOS.  I really like the way the Bama rec catch the ball in front with their hands.  They don’t let the ball get into their body very often.  Big day as OJH got his first 2 catches.  I also hope you noticed the hustle by Howard when he tried to run down the UF player on the fumble return for a TD.  The knock here was there were a couple of missed block by BV which led to tackles for losses.

OL:   The OL had a pretty good game even with the 8 tackle for losses.  There were a couple of missed assignment, one which help lead to a fumble.  That being said they still help account for 645 yards.  The only sack was not the OL fault, you can only pass block for so long and the defender came from the backside with Sims rolling right.  I think it would help keep the DL hands down if the OL would attack the player who stops his rush.  This would have to be done in a controlled manner.  One sack when you try to throw the ball 35+ times is pretty good.  At this point I think,, and I could be wrong, that all sacks could have been avoided by the QB.  Another reason I think Bama had a good game on the OL was because of how physical they were.  How many DL/LB went out of the game for a period of time? 

Defense:  The defense only gave up 200 total yards.  Many times they put pressure on the QB rushing 4.  It is amazing how much better your coverage becomes when you get pressure on the QB.  The UF offense only averaged 3.6 yards per play.  Also, the defense came up with 2 interceptions and 1 fumble recovery.   With the two TD drives, they started on Bama’s 31 and 16 yard line.  They also had to defend short field because of a short punt and a fumble to begin the 2nd half.  If my count is correct, they only brought more than four 15 times.  When doing this they really didn’t get hurt by the offense.   They did get hurt because of a busted coverage in this situation.   I also think Bama did a better job tackling this game. 

DL:    Again they did a better job putting pressure on the QB with only 4 rushing.   I thought Reed had a good game along with Devall.  I also think the outside rushers are doing a better job pushing up field before coming inside and not losing contain.  They did lose contain once on a running play when, I think it was Allen, got hooked. 

LB:  I thought both DePriest and Ragland had good games.  They had to play both run and pass with the mobile QB.  Both were involved with big hits and made plays outside the box.

DB:   As I stated earlier it is amazing how a good pass rush helps your coverage.  Bama came up with 2 picks.  The first was because of pressure causing the ball to be overthrown.  The 2nd was a good job of Collins playing a robber technique in the secondary.  They came up and supported the run well.  There were 2 things I think need mentioning.  First, the players who played for Perry did well and Brown’s first start was a success.   

Penalties:  Bama had too many penalties this game.  They had to overcome some to score touchdowns.  They also were in the red zone which needs to be fixed.  Too many times Bama started out 1st and 15.    Most of the penalties were on the offense, while 1 was on special teams and another on the defense for pass interference. 

Special teams:   The kick off cover team did a great job.  UF started on their 25, 23, 36 (penalty aided), 14, 35 (kick out of bounds), 16 and 20.  The coverage was good even when the kick wasn’t into the end zone.  On the missed field goal it looked like he just misaligned.  There was plenty of height and distance. 

Finally:  Bama has got to eliminate the turnovers especially when they account for 21 points.  It is very rare that a team gives up 21 points on turnovers and still wins the game.  Not only did they win they dominated.  If they can play this well and overcome the adversity they did in this game, how good can they be if the eliminate those mistakes. 

Please feel free to comment.

Good Luck and Roll Tide Roll 
15 and counting

Again a great analysis of the game coach. I am adding my thoughts as well sir. 

Offense: Dead on no other comments needed.

QB's: Blake Sims stepped up to the plate and played his best and most complete game to date!! Touch on the long passes especially the fade down the sideline to Amari were outstanding!! Plenty of air and distance on them as well as being on time!!! The other's were bullet type dead on the money except just one if I am not mistaken. Accuracy which was one of his skills that needed improvement was Outstanding!!! On the subject of Coker going to the sideline to get the play call I am thinking that may be more of a coaching decision to make sure he has the right play to call, I also think that is what has been holding him back. His pass to Amari for the TD in double coverage was also outstanding!!! It was in the right spot for Amari to go up over both FL defenders and take the ball away. I like the way he came in cold and handled the drive ending in the score!!

RB: It seemed to me that FL game plan was to take away the run and make us beat them through the air which is exactly what happened. As the game progressed and we started dominating the Clock in the second half they got wore down which allowed us that little bit of room needed to get the rushing yards we needed. With the exception of the fumble by Kenyon Drake they all played very well in all aspects of the game.

REC: What else can be said about Amari. He put himself in the forefront of the Heisman talk with this game against the #1  cover corner in the nation!! I will add something else about VH at the end. DeAndrew had another big day as well with his fumble being the only downside. He made plays when they were needed most and was always in the right spot. OJ Howard got into the action as well. Hopefully this will start a trend on getting him a few touches each game.

OL: Well my boys did pretty well overall for the game. Again there were miscues, two snap infractions by RK a handful of false starts. The tackles for loss were not really on them per say. Most of those happen when we tried to run wide but the team speed of a SEC team show up and did not allow us to get to the corners resulting in the losses, and as I mentioned above I think that was FL game plan to take that away.

Defense: Best overall game to date. They played with renewed passion, speed, sense of urgency for the entire game. True Freshman TB made his first start due to EJ not being 100% and did very well recording his first sack of the year. Trey, Reggie and Ruben all play hard and fast and made a huge difference in the game. If they can take this game and improve on it and move forward this could be a very good defense. The next game will be an even tougher test for this group and could be the defining game as to their development into becoming the type of defense we have grown accustomed to seeing at Alabama.

DL: Again this was their best effort to date. They were in the backfield creating problems for  the quarterback and running backs as well. Jaren Reed had a big day and showed us why he was the #1 juco last year on the DL.

LB: As I mentioned above they all played very well and made the plays when they were needed. A great job done by all.

DB: Over all an outstanding job done by this group having to be pressed into action due to EJ and NP being out. I think with just a few miscues they did very very well. Gabrile Washington who gave up the first FL TD on a blown coverage redeemed himself with a front sliding interception to end a FL drive that was headed to the Red Zone. LC pick was a thing of beauty!! Playing the rover spot inside of two deep coverage he watched the qb's eyes and timed it perfectly for the one handed snag.

Special Teams: Kick off coverage was fantastic all day against one of the top return men in the nation. everyone stayed in their lanes and made solid tackles. JK Scott had one bad punt that went off the side of his foot but other than that he did ok.

Penalties: 11 for 80 yds is unacceptable!!  You can bet money CNS will be allover this during the next two weeks.

Overall: Even with the miscues, penalties, & turnovers our team never let any of that bother them. They just back out on the field and played the next down!! Total domination in almost every aspect of the game. If they can keep that type of mindset they had Saturday and " play with the mental toughness to overcome the adversity " I think is how CNS put it we will be in good shape.

I also wanted to add something on Vernon Hargreaves III here, after the game was over and all of his team mates were in the locker room he waited patiently while Amari finished up his TV interview to congratulate him on the game he played. My respect level for this young man increased by 1000% for that class act. It was nice to see that is still alive in at least a few players.
Chechem
President Denny

E-Cred: 7228

Chechem

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 22, 2014, 03:42:46 PM »

I also wanted to add something on Vernon Hargreaves III here, after the game was over and all of his team mates were in the locker room he waited patiently while Amari finished up his TV interview to congratulate him on the game he played. My respect level for this young man increased by 1000% for that class act. It was nice to see that is still alive in at least a few players.

Yes, I heard a discussion about that yesterday on TV.  CLASSY GUY, CLASSY MOVE.

Have not heard anyone discuss that Hargreaves was suffering from a sore Achilles.  It bothered him during the game.  Maybe it didn't matter, but it didn't help.

Hargreaves will go far in life (after NFL).
« Last Edit: September 22, 2014, 03:44:39 PM by Chechem » Logged

SUPERCOACH
Coach Bear Bryant

E-Cred: 5654

Male

SUPERCOACH

"Let's go."

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 22, 2014, 03:52:42 PM »

Did anyone else notice on the last TD by DH,  Bama could have been called for DW not being set?  The only thing I can say is maybe, since he can go in motion, and he wasn't going forward, they didn't call it.

I did notice that, and I thought the same thing too since he was not moving forward and he was the only one moving.

"The same thing win, that always won... and we just have a different bunch of excuses if we lose"
hscoach
Coach Xen Scott

hscoach

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 22, 2014, 05:40:18 PM »

I am glad Peewee brought this up because I left it off.  This kid,VH, is a class and tough player.  There were many times he was banged up but kept coming back.  With the way things were going he could have easily thrown in the towel and quit.
roll tide roll
Grad Student

E-Cred: 1332

roll tide roll

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: September 22, 2014, 06:00:55 PM »

Nice INT by Washington.

The buttering of fingers continues.  3 are better than 1.   

One was the result of a good football play.  The other two were simply poor ball protection.  No excuse really. 

Good thing about catch and run for Drake is that he does not have to worry about fumbling b/c of contact.  HA!

This was a weak florida team that struggled v. UK and barely won.

Hope Sims is 100% for ole piss.

Then @ the legbreakers.  Season is about to get real.
2Stater
President Denny

E-Cred: 7921

Male

2Stater

Kazowie!

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: September 23, 2014, 09:06:50 AM »

Great jobs by hscoach and Peewee! I hope this is the beginning of a great run through the SEC and beyond. I don't think there is a Bama fan out there, who isn't totally stoked about this team. Well, maybe except for dd4bama, wherever he may be.   
SUPERCOACH
Coach Bear Bryant

E-Cred: 5654

Male

SUPERCOACH

"Let's go."

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: September 23, 2014, 10:45:39 AM »

Great jobs by hscoach and Peewee! I hope this is the beginning of a great run through the SEC and beyond. I don't think there is a Bama fan out there, who isn't totally stoked about this team. Well, maybe except for dd4bama, wherever he may be.   

Maybe he is the one that started the rumor about Sims not being able to throw the deep ball. 

"The same thing win, that always won... and we just have a different bunch of excuses if we lose"
2Stater
President Denny

E-Cred: 7921

Male

2Stater

Kazowie!

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: September 23, 2014, 11:19:39 AM »

Maybe he is the one that started the rumor about Sims not being able to throw the deep ball. 

I think he had plenty of company. Now, you can't find a Sims hater. 
bamaphil
Coach Xen Scott

E-Cred: 2962

bamaphil

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: September 23, 2014, 11:28:39 AM »

Hey hscoach! I always read your posts on game notes and appreciate it. That being said I don't usually comment because it boggles my mind at what ALL you pick up on that I totally miss. THANKS!

I echo 57's comments here.  I read every week, but I don't comment much because there's usually nothing to add.  Having never played or coached football I really appreciate the insight you bring and your thorough analysis of every game. 
bama57
Coach Xen Scott

E-Cred: 3858

bama57

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: September 23, 2014, 11:36:40 AM »

I think he had plenty of company. Now, you can't find a Sims hater. 
To be honest about it , Sims hasn't thrown an 80 yard pass yet. He has completed a few mid range passes Dancing
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Next Game

vs.

Day: Saturday
Date: 8/31/2024
Time: TBD
TV: TBD
Radio: Fun 92.7
Tuscaloosa, AL

* Who's Online
  • Dot Guests: 116
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 0