Marshal Dillon Marshal Dillon
E-Cred: 3072
bamaphil bamaphil
E-Cred: 2962
Hannibal Lecter, MD Hannibal Lecter, MD
E-Cred: 2961

Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Game notes: UF vs Bama  (Read 9916 times)
hscoach
Coach Xen Scott

E-Cred: 2824

hscoach

View Profile
« on: September 21, 2014, 01:57:38 PM »

First:   Congrats to Bama for the win.  Bama won the game despite giving up 21 points because of turnovers. 

Offense:   The offense put up 645 yards of offense against UF.  Again, I thought CLK called a very good game.   The best example was the first play of the game.  They put up this much offense and had 12 negative plays during the game.  They had 7 tackles for losses, 1 sack, 3 lost fumble, and an interception.  They only had 1 three and out.  They did have 3 one and outs.  Two were long touchdown passes and the other was a fumble.  They got into the red zone 5 times and scored 4 touchdowns, while the other was a turning over the ball on downs while not running up the score.  In the first half Bama had 1 run for 10+ yards while in the 2nd half they had six for 10+ yards.  In the first half they had 7 pass plays for 10+ yards and 4 in the second half.  There were 2 touchdowns that came from outside the red zone.   The touchdown drives were 87, 79, 64, 58, 80 and 69 yards.  They did miss one field goal which I will address later.  They also committed too many penalties which I will address later.  I also thought the plays getting to the offense went more smoothly this game.  The way the safeties were filling I expected a little more play action.  This game could/should have been 24-0 at the half.   Ball security is/was an issue that Bama was able to overcome this game.  CLK also called the proper time to run the screens in the 2nd half.  Probably one of the best statistics of the game was Bama gong 12 for 16 on 3rd down.  A couple of these were tough because of penalties. 

QB:  Sims completed 70 percent of his passes and with the long ball averaged almost 14 yards per throw.  He threw the deep ball well yesterday.  I thought one of his best throws was the fade to AC that was disallowed because of the illegal formation.  There was one play that Sims should have checked down instead of trying to force the ball to AC.  However, AC almost made a heck of a catch.  The simple throw would have gotten a first down.  Sims also held on to the ball too long once which led to a sack.  Coker came in and finished off a drive for a TD without warming up, but Bama had the running game working by then.  I do think this late in the season Coker shouldn’t have to run to the sideline to get the play. 

RB:   The running back ran hard and were hit hard by the filling LB’s and safeties from UF.  There is rarely a time when one player alone brings down a Bama back.  There were a couple of times TJY did a great job pass blocking.  First, he helped when it looked like CR was losing his player.  The second was on a blitz where he actually blocks two players with one block.  He actually knocked one player into another stopping their rush.  I know KD fumbled, but did you notice his breakaway speed on the first pass play.  He was leaving the UF player who probably thought he had the angle on him.  One of the knocks I have with the Bama running backs is where they have the ball on the inside instead of moving it to the outside arm.

REC:  Again, AC was the main target.  I am not sure any player can jam him on the LOS.  I really like the way the Bama rec catch the ball in front with their hands.  They don’t let the ball get into their body very often.  Big day as OJH got his first 2 catches.  I also hope you noticed the hustle by Howard when he tried to run down the UF player on the fumble return for a TD.  The knock here was there were a couple of missed block by BV which led to tackles for losses.

OL:   The OL had a pretty good game even with the 8 tackle for losses.  There were a couple of missed assignment, one which help lead to a fumble.  That being said they still help account for 645 yards.  The only sack was not the OL fault, you can only pass block for so long and the defender came from the backside with Sims rolling right.  I think it would help keep the DL hands down if the OL would attack the player who stops his rush.  This would have to be done in a controlled manner.  One sack when you try to throw the ball 35+ times is pretty good.  At this point I think,, and I could be wrong, that all sacks could have been avoided by the QB.  Another reason I think Bama had a good game on the OL was because of how physical they were.  How many DL/LB went out of the game for a period of time? 

Defense:  The defense only gave up 200 total yards.  Many times they put pressure on the QB rushing 4.  It is amazing how much better your coverage becomes when you get pressure on the QB.  The UF offense only averaged 3.6 yards per play.  Also, the defense came up with 2 interceptions and 1 fumble recovery.   With the two TD drives, they started on Bama’s 31 and 16 yard line.  They also had to defend short field because of a short punt and a fumble to begin the 2nd half.  If my count is correct, they only brought more than four 15 times.  When doing this they really didn’t get hurt by the offense.   They did get hurt because of a busted coverage in this situation.   I also think Bama did a better job tackling this game. 

DL:    Again they did a better job putting pressure on the QB with only 4 rushing.   I thought Reed had a good game along with Devall.  I also think the outside rushers are doing a better job pushing up field before coming inside and not losing contain.  They did lose contain once on a running play when, I think it was Allen, got hooked. 

LB:  I thought both DePriest and Ragland had good games.  They had to play both run and pass with the mobile QB.  Both were involved with big hits and made plays outside the box.

DB:   As I stated earlier it is amazing how a good pass rush helps your coverage.  Bama came up with 2 picks.  The first was because of pressure causing the ball to be overthrown.  The 2nd was a good job of Collins playing a robber technique in the secondary.  They came up and supported the run well.  There were 2 things I think need mentioning.  First, the players who played for Perry did well and Brown’s first start was a success.   

Penalties:  Bama had too many penalties this game.  They had to overcome some to score touchdowns.  They also were in the red zone which needs to be fixed.  Too many times Bama started out 1st and 15.    Most of the penalties were on the offense, while 1 was on special teams and another on the defense for pass interference. 

Special teams:   The kick off cover team did a great job.  UF started on their 25, 23, 36 (penalty aided), 14, 35 (kick out of bounds), 16 and 20.  The coverage was good even when the kick wasn’t into the end zone.  On the missed field goal it looked like he just misaligned.  There was plenty of height and distance. 

Finally:  Bama has got to eliminate the turnovers especially when they account for 21 points.  It is very rare that a team gives up 21 points on turnovers and still wins the game.  Not only did they win they dominated.  If they can play this well and overcome the adversity they did in this game, how good can they be if the eliminate those mistakes. 

Please feel free to comment.

Good Luck and Roll Tide Roll 
15 and counting
2Stater
President Denny

E-Cred: 7920

Male

2Stater

Kazowie!

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2014, 02:17:16 PM »

Dead on, Coach, thanks. I think everyone who watched the game sees that we have extraordinary talent. Once they eliminate the turnovers and penalties, I don't know of anyone that could stop them.

Kenyon is going to cause old farts like me to have a heart attack. What a gifted athlete is is. What a set of butterfingers he has. Every time he tries to extend for extra yardage, someone knocks the ball loose. That has to change.

But overall, I am very happy with where this team is.
lstephen
Coach E. B. Beaumont

E-Cred: 83

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2014, 02:26:13 PM »

Thanks for the analysis coach.  Always look forward to these on Sunday afternoon.  This team is still something of  mystery to me but the quarterback question seems to have been answered!  And I'm much more comfortable with a Coker as backup.
ricky023
President Denny

E-Cred: 5062

Male

ricky023

To Be One Ask One

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2014, 02:45:30 PM »

Thanks hscoach. We ll done. I think that Sims is #1 now. Although I am proud that Coker seems to come in and just pick up where they leave off. RTR!

John 15:5
"The Preacher"
"Rangers Lead the Way"
1/75th Rangers
McBaman
Coach Xen Scott

E-Cred: 1150

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 21, 2014, 02:49:50 PM »

Thanks coach for my favorite Sunday afternoon read.

Several of us would like you to opine on the fumbles and the penalties, i.e. why so many?  For example, we gotta know KD is coached to hold the ball tight when he's running, but he doesn't do it.  What's up with that? I would not trust him to be out there if a game is close in the 4th qtr.
hscoach
Coach Xen Scott

hscoach

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 21, 2014, 03:52:41 PM »

Thanks coach for my favorite Sunday afternoon read.

Several of us would like you to opine on the fumbles and the penalties, i.e. why so many?  For example, we gotta know KD is coached to hold the ball tight when he's running, but he doesn't do it.  What's up with that? I would not trust him to be out there if a game is close in the 4th qtr.

The first fumble was KD trying to get more yardage and he was held up and a good strip by the defense. He has got to protect the ball better and not think he can break every run for a long one.   The 2nd was DW probably trying to do a little extra because of 1st and 15 and he had the ball away from his body and UF put a helmet on it.  The third fumble cause by quick penetration by the DL, looks like the OL may have taken a wrong step, and then the not real smooth fake to running back.  As far a penalties, most of them were offensive.  I kind of question the offensive PI call because it sort of looked like the UF defender tried to jam him and got the worse of it.   Focus had got to improve with the false starts, snap infractions, etc.  The face mask penalty was a hustle penalty, he really just had his hand on the helmet, but it turned his head and they call it.
hscoach
Coach Xen Scott

hscoach

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 21, 2014, 06:55:21 PM »

A note I left off, this is the first game this year where Bama played with real emotion, in my opinion.
Chechem
President Denny

E-Cred: 7228

Chechem

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 21, 2014, 08:06:38 PM »

Good analysis, coach.
I enjoyed your work; just too tired this evening to respond thoroughly.

Toast 4

bama87
Coach E. B. Beaumont

E-Cred: 2132

Male

bama87

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 21, 2014, 09:39:04 PM »

Good stuff Coach. I was sure about CLK but I am impressed with his play calling. In each game he has gotten them in the position to make plays. That 3rd and 23 screen pass to Henry.
The penalties need to be cleaned up. Most of those were false starts. I was pressed with the way the Oline played. Pass protection was really good. The gator D is good. That is their strong suit. That said we have had difficulty all year running between the tackles. Not sure if it is the zone blocking scheme or just the fact that everybody has loaded the box.
I do believe the D has found its stride. Gator offense is not very good or we just made them look bad. I think it is a combination of both.
Coach the one question I have is this...do you believe the corners will change? Brown played well and if Jackson is healthy does he replace Jones?
hscoach
Coach Xen Scott

hscoach

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 21, 2014, 10:20:48 PM »

Good stuff Coach. I was sure about CLK but I am impressed with his play calling. In each game he has gotten them in the position to make plays. That 3rd and 23 screen pass to Henry.
The penalties need to be cleaned up. Most of those were false starts. I was pressed with the way the Oline played. Pass protection was really good. The gator D is good. That is their strong suit. That said we have had difficulty all year running between the tackles. Not sure if it is the zone blocking scheme or just the fact that everybody has loaded the box.
I do believe the D has found its stride. Gator offense is not very good or we just made them look bad. I think it is a combination of both.
Coach the one question I have is this...do you believe the corners will change? Brown played well and if Jackson is healthy does he replace Jones?

I don't know if it will change.  It makes them work harder with the competition.  It also give them an option to move a physical corner in to play a slot and change up the defense according to  the offensive package.  Probably the biggest help to the defense was the pressure by the front.
SUPERCOACH
Coach Bear Bryant

E-Cred: 5654

Male

SUPERCOACH

"Let's go."

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 22, 2014, 02:13:32 AM »

Solid gold analysis coach. 

"The same thing win, that always won... and we just have a different bunch of excuses if we lose"
SeniorTSM
Senior

E-Cred: 306

SeniorTSM

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 22, 2014, 07:38:00 AM »

A couple of questions Coach, First let me say i think Bama was awesome and this is just nit picking, Why is it that the DB's still never look for the ball? Collins made some great plays but at least twice the ball would have been an easy knock down or a pick but the DB, once ran into the wr's for a penalty, or two never looked until it was too late.

Also, love to see Sims run because he is so quick, but he also carries the ball loose, and he had to slide more at the end.

you are 100% right though, can you imagine if Bama never turned the ball over Sat? Man o Man am i ready to see more!
hscoach
Coach Xen Scott

hscoach

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 22, 2014, 08:10:10 AM »

A couple of questions Coach, First let me say i think Bama was awesome and this is just nit picking, Why is it that the DB's still never look for the ball? Collins made some great plays but at least twice the ball would have been an easy knock down or a pick but the DB, once ran into the wr's for a penalty, or two never looked until it was too late.

Also, love to see Sims run because he is so quick, but he also carries the ball loose, and he had to slide more at the end.

you are 100% right though, can you imagine if Bama never turned the ball over Sat? Man o Man am i ready to see more!

In man coverage the player is taught to look at the rec.  Ususally they pick up keys from the rec, big eyes, hands going up, to let them know the ball is coming.  The other key factor is the free DB, usually the safety will start yellling ball to let the DB know it is coming.  The good note is that they are in place most of the time and it takes a good throw and catch to be succesful.  I am sure you noticed they played a lot better with the pressure on the QB from the DL.   I agree with you on Sims carring the ball loose. 
Chechem
President Denny

E-Cred: 7228

Chechem

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 22, 2014, 08:38:11 AM »

In man coverage the player is taught to look at the rec.  Ususally they pick up keys from the rec, big eyes, hands going up, to let them know the ball is coming.  The other key factor is the free DB, usually the safety will start yellling ball to let the DB know it is coming.  The good note is that they are in place most of the time and it takes a good throw and catch to be succesful.  I am sure you noticed they played a lot better with the pressure on the QB from the DL.   I agree with you on Sims carring the ball loose. 

The announcers constantly say the DBs need to turn around and look for the ball. 
NOBODY can run as fast while looking back, and (as coach said) it's easier to knock it away as it arrives than watch for it and run fast.

Thanks, coach.

ricky023
President Denny

E-Cred: 5062

Male

ricky023

To Be One Ask One

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 22, 2014, 10:41:36 AM »

Hey hscoach after reading my Bible this morning your analysis is the light of my day. Well thought out and explained and even us lamens can understand this. All the questions that were by others Bama brothers answered all mine. Go Alabama! RTR!

John 15:5
"The Preacher"
"Rangers Lead the Way"
1/75th Rangers
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Next Game

vs.

Day: Saturday
Date: 8/31/2024
Time: TBD
TV: TBD
Radio: Fun 92.7
Tuscaloosa, AL

* Who's Online
  • Dot Guests: 203
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 0