Marshal Dillon Marshal Dillon
E-Cred: 3072
bamaphil bamaphil
E-Cred: 2962
Hannibal Lecter, MD Hannibal Lecter, MD
E-Cred: 2961

Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Gun Advice  (Read 14228 times)
SUPERCOACH
Coach Bear Bryant

E-Cred: 5654

Male

SUPERCOACH

"Let's go."

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: September 19, 2014, 06:27:54 PM »

My only advice would be that if you carry a gun you had better be willing to use it. I once carried a pistol in my car when I worked in Birmingham and had two incidents where there was a chance to use the gun if I chose to. I didn't choose to and today I am so glad I didn't pull the gun out because I would have been killed or I would have killed someone. I thought long and hard about those incidents and decided to take the gun out of my car because even if I shot someone in self defense I would have to deal with the laws of today. I don't want to test the court systems that we now have, I am a white man. Now if someone came into my house, that is a different story and I would use the gun in a heartbeat.

Good advice.  Just pulling the gun out is a huge escalation and you better be willing to pull the trigger.  The other guy might have a gun too.  If the situation isn't bad enough to pull the trigger, then leave the weapon concealed.

"The same thing win, that always won... and we just have a different bunch of excuses if we lose"
Old Tider
Coach Frank Thomas

E-Cred: 1634

Old Tider

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 21, 2014, 10:34:25 PM »

I have been thinking for a year or two that it is probably time to get some guns.  The world is becoming more evil every day.  I've never really owned a gun or felt the need to.  But the ISIS plot that was broken up in Australia reminded me that I need to get this taken care of pretty soon.  You know there are hidden lone wolf terrorists in the US somewhere just waiting for the right moment to strike.

Not to be disrespectful, Super, but I estimate you are in more danger of being run over by a drunk Auburn tractor driver than being attacked by an ISIS lone wolf.
SUPERCOACH
Coach Bear Bryant

Male

SUPERCOACH

"Let's go."

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 22, 2014, 02:01:00 AM »

I have been thinking for a year or two that it is probably time to get some guns.  The world is becoming more evil every day.  I've never really owned a gun or felt the need to.  But the ISIS plot that was broken up in Australia reminded me that I need to get this taken care of pretty soon.  You know there are hidden lone wolf terrorists in the US somewhere just waiting for the right moment to strike.

Not to be disrespectful, Super, but I estimate you are in more danger of being run over by a drunk Auburn tractor driver than being attacked by an ISIS lone wolf.

Well, I'll just shoot him too.

"The same thing win, that always won... and we just have a different bunch of excuses if we lose"
SUPERCOACH
Coach Bear Bryant

Male

SUPERCOACH

"Let's go."

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 22, 2014, 02:01:23 AM »

On a serious note, you are correct.  The odds of that specific scenario are extremely low.

Old Tider
Coach Frank Thomas

Old Tider

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 22, 2014, 12:35:21 PM »

I've never had a gun either.  Several years ago I was in a neighborhood grocery store in Mobile when it was held up by two guys with guns.  They emptied the cash registers and ran. I figure if I'd had a gun there might have been a shootout and I'd now be on our Evergreen Cemetery site instead of posting on Ferguson.
SUPERCOACH
Coach Bear Bryant

Male

SUPERCOACH

"Let's go."

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 22, 2014, 04:35:18 PM »

I've never had a gun either.  Several years ago I was in a neighborhood grocery store in Mobile when it was held up by two guys with guns.  They emptied the cash registers and ran. I figure if I'd had a gun there might have been a shootout and I'd now be on our Evergreen Cemetery site instead of posting on Ferguson.

If I could keep my wits about me, I would probably keep mine hidden in that situation if it looked like all they wanted was the money.  But you never know what you will do until you are in a situation like that.  It is a tough call.  But just because you have a gun doesn't mean you have to use it, or even let the other guys know you have it.  If you do pull it out, you had better not be bluffing.  If I get one, it would only come out as an absolute last resort to save my life or the life of someone close to me.  You have to able to assess the risk and calculate the probabilities instantaneously, which is tough to do.  But, I think I would rather have a gun and choose not to use it, than not have a gun and not have the option.

Old Tider
Coach Frank Thomas

Old Tider

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 22, 2014, 05:04:31 PM »

If I could keep my wits about me, I would probably keep mine hidden in that situation if it looked like all they wanted was the money.  But you never know what you will do until you are in a situation like that.  It is a tough call.  But just because you have a gun doesn't mean you have to use it, or even let the other guys know you have it.  If you do pull it out, you had better not be bluffing.  If I get one, it would only come out as an absolute last resort to save my life or the life of someone close to me.  You have to able to assess the risk and calculate the probabilities instantaneously, which is tough to do.  But, I think I would rather have a gun and choose not to use it, than not have a gun and not have the option.

Sounds reasonable.  My problem is I have trouble operating a can opener.  I can see myself dodging bullets while I fiddled with my gun.
Leewillie
Coach Xen Scott

E-Cred: 3348

Leewillie

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 22, 2014, 09:56:59 PM »

There was a story several months ago about the Mobile police officer who questioned an elderly black man about why he was carrying a pistol.  To which the old gentleman replied "I live in a neighborhood being taken over by gangs and I would rather you catch me with it, than for them to catch me without it".

Pretty good logic if you ask me.
2Stater
President Denny

E-Cred: 7921

Male

2Stater

Kazowie!

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 23, 2014, 10:59:04 AM »

There was a story several months ago about the Mobile police officer who questioned an elderly black man about why he was carrying a pistol.  To which the old gentleman replied "I live in a neighborhood being taken over by gangs and I would rather you catch me with it, than for them to catch me without it".

Pretty good logic if you ask me.

Smart man!
Old Tider
Coach Frank Thomas

Old Tider

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: September 23, 2014, 06:32:40 PM »

We've mentioned Mobile on here twice, but a list of America's most dangerous cities has Birmingham as 6th, the only Alabama city named.

Click here for link

And today three died when a guy started shooting in UPS in Bham.
« Last Edit: September 23, 2014, 07:24:05 PM by Old Tider » Logged
2Stater
President Denny

E-Cred: 7921

Male

2Stater

Kazowie!

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: September 24, 2014, 08:19:53 AM »

We've mentioned Mobile on here twice, but a list of America's most dangerous cities has Birmingham as 6th, the only Alabama city named.

Click here for link

So, going postal is being expanded? 
Catch Prothro
Coach Gene Stallings

E-Cred: 5215

Catch Prothro

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: September 24, 2014, 08:26:34 AM »

Click here for link

Ouch!   Wink
Chechem
President Denny

E-Cred: 7228

Chechem

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: September 24, 2014, 08:28:20 AM »

I don't see how any city could be worse than Memphis for crime.  EVERY night!

SUPERCOACH
Coach Bear Bryant

Male

SUPERCOACH

"Let's go."

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: September 24, 2014, 11:51:53 AM »

Click here for link

There was a similar incident at a FedEx recently.  I guess the post office truly is being replaced by these guys.

Old Tider
Coach Frank Thomas

Old Tider

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: September 24, 2014, 11:55:22 AM »

I don't see how any city could be worse than Memphis for crime.  EVERY night!
[/quote ]

Well it's no. 4 on this national list.
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Next Game

vs.

Day: Saturday
Date: 8/31/2024
Time: TBD
TV: TBD
Radio: Fun 92.7
Tuscaloosa, AL

* Who's Online
  • Dot Guests: 116
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 0