Marshal Dillon Marshal Dillon
E-Cred: 3072
bamaphil bamaphil
E-Cred: 2962
Hannibal Lecter, MD Hannibal Lecter, MD
E-Cred: 2961

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Blake Sims And Jake Coker: Like Leak And Tebow, No Choice Is Needed  (Read 3239 times)
Peewee from Grand Bay
Junior

E-Cred: 1491

Peewee from Grand Bay

View Profile
« on: September 19, 2014, 01:05:19 PM »

This was written by a very good friend of mine. What are yalls thoughts? Click here for link
Peewee from Grand Bay
Junior

E-Cred: 1491

Peewee from Grand Bay

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2014, 01:09:35 PM »

This was written by a very good friend of mine. What are yalls thoughts? Click here for link
There was a reply on this and I have replied to him as well. Again yalls thoughts are asked for am I off base with this? Am I missing something?

Greg Duke • an hour ago

I support Bama 100%, but Sims is just not Da Man! He does not have the arm strength to throw down field to stretch the defenses. So far, all three teams that we have played put 9-10 men in the defensive box because they do not fear Sims' arm. Once Coker went in against SoMiss, there were 5-6 men on the line, remainder in the DB positions, as they know he can and will throw it long. As Bama enters the tough part of their schedule, we cannot play "dink and dunk" and be able to beat the better teams. Period. Sorry, Saban, but you cannot let Bama slip down the tubes for a 5th year senior who has some athletic skills, just not a QB that will take us to Jerry's World in January! Roll Tide.

peewee>  Greg Duke • 8 minutes ago

Well Greg I do respect you opinion but I think I will stick with the coaches decision for right now. You are correct on some of your observations but at this point and time I do think Blake gives us the best chance of winning. But rest assured the if there is a time when Jake has or needs to be brought into the game then it will happen. If you listen closely to what CNS is saying when he discusses this subject they want to put Jake into the game but he still does not have everything down pat yet, close but not yet. They know just as everyone else does that he has the stronger arm, stronger frame, taller. But he is not quite to that point yet. The things that Blake Sims does well, he does very well!!! He has a different dimension of skills than what Jake does. So in now way do I think that we are slipping down the tubes for a 5th year senior. All we the fans have to do is support the TEAM!! Not this guy or that guy but the team.
SUPERCOACH
Coach Bear Bryant

E-Cred: 5654

Male

SUPERCOACH

"Let's go."

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2014, 01:15:35 PM »

I thought the article itself was excellent.  Very well written, logical, and a nice read.

As for the premise of a 2 QB system, she makes a lot of great points there too.  I had forgotten about Tebow and Leak in 2006.  I think our situation is very similar to that.  I think it can work for us as well.  Those are the cards we were dealt this year, and there is no reason why we can't make it work for us too.

"The same thing win, that always won... and we just have a different bunch of excuses if we lose"
SUPERCOACH
Coach Bear Bryant

E-Cred: 5654

Male

SUPERCOACH

"Let's go."

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2014, 01:17:48 PM »

There was a reply on this and I have replied to him as well. Again yalls thoughts are asked for am I off base with this? Am I missing something?

Greg Duke • an hour ago

I support Bama 100%, but Sims is just not Da Man! He does not have the arm strength to throw down field to stretch the defenses. So far, all three teams that we have played put 9-10 men in the defensive box because they do not fear Sims' arm. Once Coker went in against SoMiss, there were 5-6 men on the line, remainder in the DB positions, as they know he can and will throw it long. As Bama enters the tough part of their schedule, we cannot play "dink and dunk" and be able to beat the better teams. Period. Sorry, Saban, but you cannot let Bama slip down the tubes for a 5th year senior who has some athletic skills, just not a QB that will take us to Jerry's World in January! Roll Tide.

Well Greg I do respect you opinion but I think I will stick with the coaches decision for right now. You are correct on some of your observations but at this point and time I do think Blake gives us the best chance of winning. But rest assured the if there is a time when Jake has or needs to be brought into the game then it will happen. If you listen closely to what CNS is saying when he discusses this subject they want to put Jake into the game but he still does not have everything down pat yet, close but not yet. They know just as everyone else does that he has the stronger arm, stronger frame, taller. But he is not quite to that point yet. The things that Blake Sims does well, he does very well!!! He has a different dimension of skills than what Jake does. So in now way do I think that we are slipping down the tubes for a 5th year senior. All we the fans have to do is support the TEAM!! Not this guy or that guy but the team.

I think you nailed it Peewee.

"The same thing win, that always won... and we just have a different bunch of excuses if we lose"
bama57
Coach Xen Scott

E-Cred: 3858

bama57

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 19, 2014, 01:28:40 PM »

Greg Duke • an hour ago

I think you nailed it Peewee.
Great reply Peewee Applause E-Cred
Leewillie
Coach Xen Scott

E-Cred: 3348

Leewillie

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 19, 2014, 01:33:23 PM »

I'm with PeeWee on this one.
McBaman
Coach Xen Scott

E-Cred: 1150

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 19, 2014, 01:40:26 PM »

IMHO... too many folks (not those posting so far in this thread) are wanting to choose some mythical, non-existant QB over Sims.  That's a false choice, i.e. one which doesn't exist.

Next two games will tell us a lot about Sims abilities and that of the entire O.  I say that because FL is an SEC game (better competition) and then there is a bye week during which stuff can get fixed and some new stuff added. Then we'll see where we are vs. Ole Miss.

The comparison with Leak-Tebow is OK but not exactly apples-to-apples.  Leak had been the starter for 2-years (I think) and the UF team was still learning Urbane's spread O.   Sims is not an incumbent starter and Bama is learning Kiff's O. But the two QBs worked well for UF and the same can happen for Bama this year.

I like the mobility Sims gives us.  It really helps to avoid negative plays.  That doesn't show up much in stats, but it can affect the outcome of the game.

Anyway... thanks to Peewee for a thoughtful OP.
bama57
Coach Xen Scott

bama57

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 19, 2014, 02:36:55 PM »

I think Sims is going to prove all the naysayers WRONG!
hscoach
Coach Xen Scott

E-Cred: 2824

hscoach

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 19, 2014, 04:47:42 PM »

At this point Sims has done nothing to lose him the job, and Coker has not done enough to win the job.  Neither has been great at throwing the big ball yet.  Having said this, I can not honestly say that Sims will be the qb at the end of the year, just like I can't say Coker will win the job.  One of the main problems is the amount of time each have been given with the first team, it has not been equal.  However, Sims has earned, to this point, the right to run with the first team.  I think the UF game will be significiant by showing what type of qb Bama has, which is also dependent on how well the OL does.
Jamos
Coach Gene Stallings

E-Cred: 5801

Male

Jamos

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 19, 2014, 07:28:42 PM »

Some fans can't seem to get a grip on the fact that McElroy and McCarron are gone will and not be back. By all standards, Bama should drop off some at that position as far as experience is concerned but to be honest I remember McElroy and McCarron both looking very green when they took over that position, they made a lot of mistakes. It took a lot playing time to get them where they were when they graduated and that is what we have to give the two that are competing now, lots of playing time. To me Sims is ahead of Coker at this point and you can't sit him on the bench because you think Coker might be the better of the two, that's why they practice every day, to try and beat the other out of the starting job.

If CNS and CLK say Sims is the better of the two then who is argue that, nuff said. Wink

“There were no arguments, those are called ass-chewings,” . Coach Nick Saban
ricky023
President Denny

E-Cred: 5062

Male

ricky023

To Be One Ask One

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 19, 2014, 08:45:14 PM »

Some fans can't seem to get a grip on the fact that McElroy and McCarron are gone will and not be back. By all standards, Bama should drop off some at that position as far as experience is concerned but to be honest I remember McElroy and McCarron both looking very green when they took over that position, they made a lot of mistakes. It took a lot playing time to get them where they were when they graduated and that is what we have to give the two that are competing now, lots of playing time. To me Sims is ahead of Coker at this point and you can't sit him on the bench because you think Coker might be the better of the two, that's why they practice every day, to try and beat the other out of the starting job.

If CNS and CLK say Sims is the better of the two then who is argue that, nuff said. Wink

Nuff said and I agree. RTR!

John 15:5
"The Preacher"
"Rangers Lead the Way"
1/75th Rangers
td57
Senior

E-Cred: 3139

td57

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 20, 2014, 07:50:34 AM »

At this point Sims has done nothing to lose him the job, and Coker has not done enough to win the job.  Neither has been great at throwing the big ball yet.  Having said this, I can not honestly say that Sims will be the qb at the end of the year, just like I can't say Coker will win the job.  One of the main problems is the amount of time each have been given with the first team, it has not been equal.  However, Sims has earned, to this point, the right to run with the first team.  I think the UF game will be significiant by showing what type of qb Bama has, which is also dependent on how well the OL does.

I agree with this.

However, as far as Blake and Jake being like Tebow and Leak.....
As of right now the only thing Jake brings to the table that Sims don't is arm strength. But that's negated by the fact Jake can't hit the broad side of a barn on his deep balls. This will change and while Blake is the best he can be, Jake has a very high ceiling for the future.
The thing about Tebow, he brought something Leak didn't. Excitement, leadership, power running and he could throw. A great compliment to Leak. I just don't see Jake as a compliment to Blake but just a different skill set.

That said, Jake has to improve greatly but he has to raw talent to do so if he can get his head to catch up to his physical skills.

Coffee
« Last Edit: September 20, 2014, 07:53:58 AM by td57 » Logged
roll tide roll
Grad Student

E-Cred: 1332

roll tide roll

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 20, 2014, 09:07:49 AM »

I liked the article.

I have always looked at the Sims/Coker issue as a Leak/Tebow situation.

Sims is the starter.  Sims will remain the starter for the entire year.  Coker will not start until next year

WRs as a group need to catch the ball better.

I have seen nothing from Coker that overly impresses me. He looks like a qb in his first year of the program.

This guy is an idiot.

Greg Duke • an hour ago

[/quote]
Sims is in fact Da Man!  As evidenced by him being selected as starting qb.

BAMA most certainly can "dink and dunk" its way to victory against quality opponents.  Ask Jay Barker.

I am just happy BAMA fans are complaining about having a 5th year qb as a starter, all the while screaming that, "he has no arm" while he averages over 200+ yds/game, with a 75% completion rate, and has thrown 4 tds to 1 int.

Any of these people around in the late 90s and early 2000s?  Fans would have killed to have this problem.

The grass is always greener on the other side of the hill.
The backup qb is always better.

Whatever.

Beat the Gators!
bama57
Coach Xen Scott

bama57

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 20, 2014, 07:21:58 PM »

I think Sims is going to prove all the naysayers WRONG!
Agreed!
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Next Game

vs.

Day: Saturday
Date: 8/31/2024
Time: TBD
TV: TBD
Radio: Fun 92.7
Tuscaloosa, AL

* Who's Online
  • Dot Guests: 183
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 1