Marshal Dillon Marshal Dillon
E-Cred: 3072
bamaphil bamaphil
E-Cred: 2962
Hannibal Lecter, MD Hannibal Lecter, MD
E-Cred: 2961

Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: A Day What did you think? Comments  (Read 7443 times)
Jamos
Coach Gene Stallings

E-Cred: 5801

Male

Jamos

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: April 20, 2014, 05:22:33 PM »

There is a lot of work to be done and that is good I think. After the A-Day game last year, all everyone was saying was that Bama would 3 peat this past year and look at what happened to that team. Yesterday the team walked off the field knowing there is a lot of work to be done before September and I think there will be a lot more accomplished in the off season than the past season.

I'm thinking the team next year will probably start a little slow and progressively get better each game, which I think is good.

“There were no arguments, those are called ass-chewings,” . Coach Nick Saban
Peewee from Grand Bay
Junior

E-Cred: 1491

Peewee from Grand Bay

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 20, 2014, 05:35:23 PM »

I pretty much concur with every one else's thought. Blake Sims can make plays, but he misses too many over all. I just hope Coker is all we hope he is. As far as a kicker is concerned the kid coming in does both Punt & Place kick very well!! If Adam can Concentrate on Kick offs then he may excel at that. We are stacked again at Wide Receiver and running back. Amari & Christan are a very good tandem. Add in Chris Black, Stewart, and D White when he is back full speed. Have Mercy!!! Then at running back you could have what might be the leading rushing duo in the country. If our offensive line can makes some room they can do some damage in the middle. Keynon Drake is one of the quickest elusive guys out there. That run yesterday was spectacular. I Love ya my brother but I swear I am going to buy you a 55 gal drum of stickum!!!!!! Bottom line is I saw a lot of good things happen yesterday. I saw a lot of not so good things as well. But I have to say CNS nailed it on the head in what he said about experience. How do you get it? By making mistakes and learning from them. If we can improve on what happened today then we will be in good shape.
2Stater
President Denny

E-Cred: 7920

Male

2Stater

Kazowie!

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 20, 2014, 05:35:53 PM »

I don't think there is going to be any sense of entitlement this year. The "D" looked very hungry yesterday and I think that will carry over into the season.

The "O" will be a work in progress, however. Particularly the "O" line. They were beat like 1939 Poland yesterday.
pmull
Coach Nick Saban

E-Cred: 6108

Male

pmull

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 20, 2014, 05:48:19 PM »

I'm not disappointed in what I saw yesterday. The defense is normally ahead of the offense at this point. Plus, this defense is good. We have plenty to work and as Jamos said they that could be a good thing. There is a lot of talent on this team and no coaching staff in the nation can coach them up like ours.

Two guys coming in this summer could take care of my concern with the QB and kicking positions.
Catch Prothro
Coach Gene Stallings

E-Cred: 5215

Catch Prothro

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 20, 2014, 06:19:15 PM »

Pretty much agree with what everyone else has said.

The defense looked good.  Tony Brown was fun to watch; we'll see him on the field next year.

I hope that Coker is as good as advertised, because QB play was completely ineffective.  Bama won't see a 10-win season without a QB who can move the ball down the field in a sustained drive.  Personally, I don't think Sims is that QB.  He didn't look much different than last year's A-Day Game.  Still very much a "work in progress."  I don't think he starts next year.  I'm guessing that he's been named "starter" to motivate everyone else to work harder.

Kicking game could easily contribute to a couple of losses next year without substantial improvement or the infusion of new blood.

Saban was onto the O-line, give the QB more time, plus the push up the middle leading to the blocked FG.  Not a dominant unit yet.  Could be that the D-line played that well.  But I thought the QBs mostly had adequate time to make reads and get passes away.  Sims made some poor throws, off-target, into coverage, or both.  There were some dropped passes as well, though more with the second unit.

Anyway, defense looked good, offense looked terrible.  One of the worst offensive/QB performances I've ever seen at A-day. 
hscoach
Coach Xen Scott

E-Cred: 2824

hscoach

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 20, 2014, 08:57:15 PM »

1.  I am not sure if the D line is that good or the O line is that bad.  The DL did look more athletic than it has in the past.   I thought they got off the ball well, but part of that may have been listening to the same QB cadence during the spring. 

2.  RB each looked good at times.  I do think they all had their shining moments.  I did see some will have to improve their pass blocking if they want to get on the field.  KD ran hard again, but fumbled again. 

3.  Rec's are deep.  There were some drops that should have been caught.  I don't think they utilized the TE's enough.

4.  QB's.  The most concern here unless the new guy can come in and take the job.  I thought CB looked the best of all QB's.  BS's doesn't move his feet when checking from rec to rec.  He should have had more picks but the ball was dropped by the secondary.

5.  The OL is a concern at this point.  I am not sure the big freshman is ready to start at left tackle.  At time they did a good job, but was very inconsistent against a vanilla defense. 

6.  Special teams;  I don't know what has happened to AG.  I wonder if a lot of it is psychological because of what happened in the AU game.  Some one is going to have to be a punter that can change the field.

I know some are young and only had a few practices.  I definitely think the D is ahead of the O. 
Chechem
President Denny

E-Cred: 7228

Chechem

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 21, 2014, 05:46:57 AM »

1.  I am not sure if the D line is that good or the O line is that bad.  The DL did look more athletic than it has in the past.   I thought they got off the ball well, but part of that may have been listening to the same QB cadence during the spring. 

2.  RB each looked good at times.  I do think they all had their shining moments.  I did see some will have to improve their pass blocking if they want to get on the field.  KD ran hard again, but fumbled again. 

3.  Rec's are deep.  There were some drops that should have been caught.  I don't think they utilized the TE's enough.

4.  QB's.  The most concern here unless the new guy can come in and take the job.  I thought CB looked the best of all QB's.  BS's doesn't move his feet when checking from rec to rec.  He should have had more picks but the ball was dropped by the secondary.

5.  The OL is a concern at this point.  I am not sure the big freshman is ready to start at left tackle.  At time they did a good job, but was very inconsistent against a vanilla defense. 

6.  Special teams;  I don't know what has happened to AG.  I wonder if a lot of it is psychological because of what happened in the AU game.  Some one is going to have to be a punter that can change the field.

I know some are young and only had a few practices.  I definitely think the D is ahead of the O. 

Good asessment, hscoach.   

2Stater
President Denny

Male

2Stater

Kazowie!

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 21, 2014, 06:42:42 AM »

We have some pretty smart guys on CRS. Seems most everybody saw the same things on the field and the assessments were spot on. 

I hope we all have more positive things to say about the "O" in the fall.
WALL-E
Directive: Site Robot
President Denny

E-Cred: 202

WALL-E

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 21, 2014, 11:14:02 AM »

Spring game roundup: Alabama's Yeldon stars

Read more...

Too much garbage in your face? There's plenty of space out in space! BnL StarLiners leaving each day. We'll clean up the mess while you're away.
pmull
Coach Nick Saban

E-Cred: 6108

Male

pmull

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 21, 2014, 11:31:01 AM »

I thought TJ Yeldon had a good game. He does not look ready to give the starting position to Henry, Drake or anyone else. He had 95 yds on 11 carries with a long of 36 yds. He also had one reception for 9 yds.
Chechem
President Denny

Chechem

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: April 21, 2014, 12:08:36 PM »

I thought TJ Yeldon had a good game. He does not look ready to give the starting position to Henry, Drake or anyone else. He had 95 yds on 11 carries with a long of 36 yds. He also had one reception for 9 yds.

I watched the replay last night.  I agree, Yeldon is still a stud at RB.  He is a special threat as a receiver, especially on screens.  I don't see the other RBs as important in that aspect of our offense. 

If Kiffin holds true to his past play-calling, we'll throw to the TE more and increase the short passing games.  I heard a discussion of that on the radio this weekend.

ALTideUp
Coach E. B. Beaumont

E-Cred: 2045

ALTideUp

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 23, 2014, 12:29:43 AM »

Hey Fellows,

All good observations and insights. I'll add just a couple things.

As some have pointed out, they dropped too many balls, and not Norwood-spectacular-catch balls, but easy catches. In particular, Chris Black dropped 3.

Though we look to this game for answers and reassurance, it really provides neither. The offense was so vanilla the defense had little to do in the way of adjustments or thinking on their feet. And then the offense wasn't really gone show their hand, so they ran 100 plays around the end. Hard extrapolate from this to real game performance.

To me, the most intriguing thing we saw, and I believe CNS showed it on purpose, was Morris punting. If he is out to punt on 4th and short, or 4th and whatever on the opponent's side of the 50, the other coach has to guard against a fake. That means better punt coverage, better field position, and the occasional spirit-breaking new set of downs for our O. That's an interesting wrinkle.

I was dead on the 50 on the East side in the bowl. A gorgeous day to watch football. May plans were uncertain and I didn't get a chance to get to the tailgate, which I regret.

"When the going get's weird, the weird turn pro"

Hunter S. Thompson
Chechem
President Denny

Chechem

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: April 23, 2014, 05:14:20 AM »

To me, the most intriguing thing we saw, and I believe CNS showed it on purpose, was Morris punting. If he is out to punt on 4th and short, or 4th and whatever on the opponent's side of the 50, the other coach has to guard against a fake. That means better punt coverage, better field position, and the occasional spirit-breaking new set of downs for our O. That's an interesting wrinkle.
Huh?

2Stater
President Denny

Male

2Stater

Kazowie!

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: April 23, 2014, 05:56:44 AM »

Huh?

Ruh-Roh!
ALTideUp
Coach E. B. Beaumont

E-Cred: 2045

ALTideUp

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: April 23, 2014, 10:59:02 AM »

Huh?

Ruh-Roh!
I'm confused. What is that warning thing?

"When the going get's weird, the weird turn pro"

Hunter S. Thompson
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Next Game

vs.

Day: Saturday
Date: 8/31/2024
Time: TBD
TV: TBD
Radio: Fun 92.7
Tuscaloosa, AL

* Who's Online
  • Dot Guests: 196
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 0