Marshal Dillon Marshal Dillon
E-Cred: 3072
bamaphil bamaphil
E-Cred: 2962
Hannibal Lecter, MD Hannibal Lecter, MD
E-Cred: 2961

Pages: 1 ... 2494 2495 2496 2497 [2498] 2499 2500 2501 2502 ... 3908   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: ***CRIMSON RED DAILY THREAD***  (Read 12580072 times)
Chechem
President Denny

E-Cred: 7228

Chechem

View Profile
« Reply #37455 on: April 28, 2017, 08:25:45 PM »

Looks great, Chech. I know you're glad to be done. Now it's time for fishing.

2Stater
President Denny

E-Cred: 7921

Male

2Stater

Kazowie!

View Profile
« Reply #37456 on: April 28, 2017, 08:34:35 PM »

Looks great, Chech. I know you're glad to be done. Now it's time for fishing.

Have mercy!!!!!!!  Shocked
Chechem
President Denny

Chechem

View Profile
« Reply #37457 on: April 29, 2017, 04:25:36 AM »

Today is the "Double Decker Arts Festival"; bigger than July 4th in Oxford and more fun.  Ice cream, snow cones, live music, foot-long homemade corn dogs, barbeque, and (of course) lots of over-priced arts and crafts.  LF and I will take lawn chairs, and set up on the courthouse lawn to enjoy the ambience.  Woot.

Late yesterday afternoon I salvaged some of the old 2x6 deck boards and built up a couple of flower beds.  Now they're raised beds.  This morning I'll fill them with topsoil to encourage the hydrangeas to bloom better this year.  As LF said, "The deer will have more hydrangeas to eat!"  Always the supportive wifey.  

Enjoy your day.  It'll be hot and windy here, with storms late tonight.

Kiss

XBAMA
Coach Wallace Wade

E-Cred: 4632

Male

XBAMA

Roll Tide

View Profile WWW
« Reply #37458 on: April 29, 2017, 06:02:45 AM »

headed to Fowl River to meet my new red and speckled fish friends ...
wish us luck ....

for the pomp enthusiast I leave you with this

I've caught a few of them over the years, but have never really targeted. One of my coworkers was at Ft. Pickens last weekend, and caught a few off the beach. Said he met a fellow there that caught more than anybody, and the guy was kind enough to show him a few tricks. One of his tricks was to powder coat his lead weights with fluorescent Pink,Yellow or orange, and said he also wraps fluorescent fibers around his hooks. Said the colors attracted the fish out of curiosity, and they were using sand fleas and ghost shrimp for bait. Something new to me, and thought I'd share for those that would like to target, since right now seems to be prime time.

Pompano are IMHO THE most appealing (and appetizing) member of the jack family of fishes and primarily sight feeders.
I have no doubt they see color and tend to 'key off' on movement and bright colors especially orange, chartreuse, red and hot pink.
I suspect it's because those are the colors of many of their prey items (just about any small near shore invertebrates) especially those which are carrying eggs (like sandfleas and ghost shrimp) as they 'stand out' underwater against a white sand or greenish water background.
Fishbite strips (in orange color and shrimp, crab or sandflea flavor) are GREAT substitutes for natural bait when scarce, or when bait stealers are pecking your natural bait away without getting hooked.

In rough or dingy water the 'hi-lo' double rigs with small kahle hooks (#6 or #4) and small yellow, orange, chartreuse or hot pink colored floats or bright orange beads near the hook are especially deadly on those delicious pompano.
As well they work great on whiting (Gulf kingfish), red and black drum and even flounder, bluefish, ladyfish and blu runner (hardtails).

In calm, clear water however, it pays to 'go stealthy' with single hook presentations with just a natural bait (like a live sandflea or ghost shrimp, even penaeid shrimp) on small kahle single hook tied to a light mono leader (I like 15" of 10# fluorocarbon) behind a one ounce slip lead. It's like a "Carolina Rig" but with a sinker slide so you can use a pyramid sinker.

FISH ON !!!!!!!!

God And Guns got us here and God and Guns will keep us here
2Stater
President Denny

E-Cred: 7921

Male

2Stater

Kazowie!

View Profile
« Reply #37459 on: April 29, 2017, 06:11:33 AM »

Thanks X. Good stuff. When we Pompano fish, we use fish bites, shrimp AND sand fleas when we can find them. Chech had very good luck with that, last time he was down.

Chech, enjoy the art festivus. I'm getting ready to head for Myrtle Beach. Y'all have a great weekend!
ricky023
President Denny

E-Cred: 5062

Male

ricky023

To Be One Ask One

View Profile
« Reply #37460 on: April 29, 2017, 11:37:33 AM »

Well it has been a great morning. We got something accomplished then got to go to the city park for the Sat. morning Preaching. RTR!

John 15:5
"The Preacher"
"Rangers Lead the Way"
1/75th Rangers
N.AL-Tider
Coach Wallace Wade

E-Cred: 3190

N.AL-Tider

View Profile
« Reply #37461 on: April 29, 2017, 01:44:43 PM »

Hey everyone.  Beautiful day here.  Nice and sunny and warm but a nice breeze makes it really comfortable.  Oldest son and I went to a local restaurant this morning for breakfast with the men from church.  After that he and I went and mowed the grass at church then for a couple that I've known for a couple or three years.  Now we are fixing to celebrate the birthdays of the oldest son and youngest daughter.  He is 15 (all grown up and don't know how to act) and she is 17 today.  Probably going to go to Catfish Cabin over in Albertville for supper tonight...

"Play by play, that’s how we win here."

Eddie Jackson  Dec. 2016
ricky023
President Denny

Male

ricky023

To Be One Ask One

View Profile
« Reply #37462 on: April 29, 2017, 04:05:42 PM »

Hey everyone.  Beautiful day here.  Nice and sunny and warm but a nice breeze makes it really comfortable.  Oldest son and I went to a local restaurant this morning for breakfast with the men from church.  After that he and I went and mowed the grass at church then for a couple that I've known for a couple or three years.  Now we are fixing to celebrate the birthdays of the oldest son and youngest daughter.  He is 15 (all grown up and don't know how to act) and she is 17 today.  Probably going to go to Catfish Cabin over in Albertville for supper tonight...

Happy Birthday. Glad you all get to serve the church. Bless you all. RTR!

"The Preacher"
"Rangers Lead the Way"
1/75th Rangers
Chechem
President Denny

Chechem

View Profile
« Reply #37463 on: April 29, 2017, 09:22:44 PM »

headed to Fowl River to meet my new red and speckled fish friends ...
wish us luck ....

...One of his tricks was to powder coat his lead weights with fluorescent Pink,Yellow or orange, and said he also wraps fluorescent fibers around his hooks. Said the colors attracted the fish out of curiosity, and they were using sand fleas and ghost shrimp for bait. Something new to me, and thought I'd share for those that would like to target, since right now seems to be prime time.
...they 'stand out' underwater against a white sand or greenish water background.
Fishbite strips (in orange color and shrimp, crab or sandflea flavor) are GREAT substitutes for natural bait when scarce, or when bait stealers are pecking your natural bait away without getting hooked.

In rough or dingy water the 'hi-lo' double rigs with small kahle hooks (#6 or #4) and small yellow, orange, chartreuse or hot pink colored floats or bright orange beads near the hook are especially deadly on those delicious pompano.
... It's like a "Carolina Rig" but with a sinker slide so you can use a pyramid sinker.

Thanks, X.  Good stuff indeed.

Hope you caught some specks; my favorite fish to eat!  Fried, please.

Never thought of painting the pyramid weights; should help.  I use small colorful floats near the baits, plus fishbites (which are colorful).  Seems to work.

I've only used the double rigs for pomps.  I like the Carolina-type rig in clear water.  The pomps are especially hard to catch when it's calm and clear, so I'll try that.  I like to try pomp jigs when it's calm too, mostly just to wade out and try a broad area to find the fish.

You know, we need to get together for fishing one of these days!!

Chechem
President Denny

Chechem

View Profile
« Reply #37464 on: April 30, 2017, 04:02:33 AM »

Good morning.  Coffee

Once again there's a strong line of thundershowers approaching from the west.  Should be here in a few hours; certainly by 8AM.  Lots of warnings that severe weather could result.  Right now it's windy and very warm for predawn: 76 degrees!

Hopefully 2 had safe traveling to his golf outing, and NALT's birthday celebrations were a success.  Hello to everyone else!

We had fun at the festival yesterday.  Lots of good food, lots of friends, and perfect weather.

N.AL-Tider
Coach Wallace Wade

E-Cred: 3190

N.AL-Tider

View Profile
« Reply #37465 on: April 30, 2017, 06:48:32 AM »

Good morning folks.  There is a possibility of strong storms here today too.  There is also a possibility that the storms will not hit us.  I'm hoping for the latter.   The birthday celebrations yesterday were a success.  Both kids seemed to be happy with everything.  Hope you are all doing well and stay safe. 

"Play by play, that’s how we win here."

Eddie Jackson  Dec. 2016
Jamos
Coach Gene Stallings

E-Cred: 5801

Male

Jamos

View Profile
« Reply #37466 on: April 30, 2017, 06:54:41 AM »

Good Morning Everyone. Coffee

It sounds like everyone found a way to enjoy yesterday as it was a beautiful day to enjoy what Mother Nature had to offer. Mrs. J and I went fishing on the Warrior River and had a good time until the wind finally convinced us it was time to put the boat on the trailer. We did catch a few fish but nothing record setting.

2, I hope the weather doesn't affect your golf plans, that's a long drive to have to sit and watch the rain but I'm sure you all have a "Plan B" just for those situations.

Chech, we almost made a trip to Oxford yesterday to watch the softball games but decided we had more control of the fishing results than we would have over the softball results. Wink

Have a good day everyone. Pray  Hug

“There were no arguments, those are called ass-chewings,” . Coach Nick Saban
ricky023
President Denny

Male

ricky023

To Be One Ask One

View Profile
« Reply #37467 on: April 30, 2017, 07:31:07 AM »

Good to see everybody is safe and having a great day. It is warm here this morning. This evening we are suppose to begin the whole Bible reading on the courthouse lawn until Thursday at which time we finish up on National Prayer day. We will be reading night and day til we read completely through the Bible. Please pray for us it may get wet but we will not stop. Glad our guys got a future in football now they can move on. RTR!

"The Preacher"
"Rangers Lead the Way"
1/75th Rangers
Chechem
President Denny

Chechem

View Profile
« Reply #37468 on: April 30, 2017, 09:30:07 AM »

Since it's raining, I'll post a few pics of the latest deck news:

LF's planters in the left foreground.  She just put in a huge bag of gladiolus, and 4 packets of seeds for marigolds, cosmos, and such.  The PVC is an irrigation system, so all that's necessary is a turn of the faucet knob.

Water that passes through the planter dumps out into the hydrangea bed, with it's new frame and new soil. 

Lower deck awaiting my hammock and frame.  I plan to use it this week!!

XBAMA
Coach Wallace Wade

E-Cred: 4632

Male

XBAMA

Roll Tide

View Profile WWW
« Reply #37469 on: April 30, 2017, 10:29:40 AM »

great deck Chech !   

like Jamos no records were broken on fish and the wind was terrible
so we decided to pull the knee board for a first time knee boarder
this guy is about 7 feet tall and the boys call him Dirk Nowitzki from the Mavs
I call him Dirks Bentley ...
he tried to knee board and I must say I haven't laughed that hard in years

we did manage a few fish , nice sheepshead in the mix
but the fish we were after wasn't interested in  a live shrimp meal it seems
we set out 10 crab traps which fill up  pretty quick and we
stopped in at Baileys store and bought a BIG bag of chicken to throw
on my buddies pier grill
with the crabs and the chicken we had enough food to feed people just
passing by , it was really good ...

Chech we need to go sometime for sure , if we could get 2 off the golf
greens long enough ...

did I mention NICE DECK ? !!!!

God And Guns got us here and God and Guns will keep us here
Pages: 1 ... 2494 2495 2496 2497 [2498] 2499 2500 2501 2502 ... 3908   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Next Game

vs.

Day: Saturday
Date: 8/31/2024
Time: TBD
TV: TBD
Radio: Fun 92.7
Tuscaloosa, AL

* Who's Online
  • Dot Guests: 192
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 0