Marshal Dillon Marshal Dillon
E-Cred: 3072
bamaphil bamaphil
E-Cred: 2962
Hannibal Lecter, MD Hannibal Lecter, MD
E-Cred: 2961

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Coach Saban outcoached, I think not!  (Read 5880 times)
hscoach
Coach Xen Scott

E-Cred: 2824

hscoach

View Profile
« on: November 07, 2011, 08:41:11 PM »

Some people have expressed that CNS got outcoached the other night.  I for one don’t believe it.   Let me put it this way, if the trick play had been thrown properly then it would have been a TD.  Also it was the perfect time to call it.  Did you see how wide open MW was?   I know the throw was not perfect, but how do we know the rec that Reid came off of did not run the route too deep?  If it had worked everyone would have been saying what a perfect call at the perfect time..  Also, did CNS throw the block in the back?  I can guarantee that player has be taught numerous times, not to make attempt that block in that situation.  As a coach I know the players don’t always do what is taught.  The D dominated LSU and the O was more effective than LSU.  The only thing is the kicking game was not executed.  Yes, you can second guess about punting, but if those FG’s had been made, then it again would have been a great decision.  I have to believe that CF has made kicks from that distance in practice or it would not have been an option.  CNS is my coach of choice and I don’t want anyone else.
First Down Alabama
Junior

E-Cred: 41

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2011, 08:47:55 PM »

Amen and Roll Tide!
SUPERCOACH
Coach Bear Bryant

E-Cred: 5654

Male

SUPERCOACH

"Let's go."

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2011, 09:17:22 PM »

I thought the trick play was a great call.  It was not executed properly, but it was a fantastic call.
« Last Edit: November 07, 2011, 09:21:13 PM by SUPERCOACH » Logged

"The same thing win, that always won... and we just have a different bunch of excuses if we lose"
McBaman
Coach Xen Scott

E-Cred: 1150

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 07, 2011, 10:53:23 PM »

I think we all need to let CNS know that... yes, we are all deeply disappointed at the final score of this game, but that there is NOBODY we'd rather have as our head football coach.
ricky023
President Denny

E-Cred: 5062

Male

ricky023

To Be One Ask One

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 07, 2011, 11:55:44 PM »

CNS can be here as far as I am concerned till he retires! RTR!

John 15:5
"The Preacher"
"Rangers Lead the Way"
1/75th Rangers
bamalum67
Grad Student

E-Cred: 119

Male

bamalum67

Bama born and Bama bred

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 08, 2011, 04:55:23 AM »

CNS is THE MAN! 

(I am surprised we have not heard the "dig 'im up" cries)  You old timers will remember that one.

"It ain't the size of the dog in the fight..it's the size of the fight in the dog"
Chechem
President Denny

E-Cred: 7228

Chechem

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 08, 2011, 05:55:26 AM »

Terrie1959
Coach E. B. Beaumont

E-Cred: 724

Female

Terrie1959

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 08, 2011, 08:04:51 AM »

You know, there are always going to be THOSE fans who believe that if a team stumbles, the coach needs to be fired (yeah I read that yesterday somewhere). CNS can only teach so much - it HAS to be executed on the field. He does not control that at all. I admit, I questioned a few of his calls - but would I ever question his ability to have a National Championship team? NEVER! Do I think he's the best coach? absolutely! Smiley
The game is a memory now and we need to attack MSU like it's the championship.
I love the integrity and pride that CNS has been able to return to our state.
I am PROUD to be able to call CNS our Coach! Smiley (and Bro Ricky, I, too, hope he stays with us til retirement!)
crtuneman
Grad Student

E-Cred: 105

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 08, 2011, 08:21:43 AM »

I still think Saban is a great coach, but how can you say he didn't ge outcoached? The 3 FG attempts in the 1st qt were poor decisions. We should have punted and played for field position. And why did we call that trick play right then? Trent had just made his best run of the night to get the ball in scoring position. We had momentum. We should have given the ball back to Trent and pounded it. I have always heard that you don't take the ball out of your best player's hands. Well that's just what we did Saturday night. Whenever Trent finally broke a run we would try a trick play or a slow-developing play. I know that the plays were poorly executed, but still; we should have kept pounding away with Trent instead of putting the game in AJs hands or Marquis Maze's hands. I still love Saban, but those were some bad decisions Saturday night, and no amount of white-washing can change the facts.
KoKoPuf
Coach Xen Scott

E-Cred: 3504

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 08, 2011, 08:48:37 AM »

I think CNS got outcoached in the LSU game. I liked the trick play but thought it came at the wrong time. Sure it was open but you can't count on a wide receiver to execute a perfect pass. And TR had just ripped off a couple of runs. I thought at that time Bama was starting to impose their will on the LSU D. I thought field position was key and Bama should have punted deep in the first half. I just don't see trying for long field goals without a good kicker. And it has been said before but our play calling just never seems to get into a good rhythm. As far as the players making the mistakes, absolutely they did. But the HC takes the blame and gets the credit when they make great plays.

Ali didn't win all his fights. Babe Ruth didn't always hit home runs. So CNS got outcoached in this one, I would still take him over any coach in the country and I'm betting he is already working to insure it doesn't happen again.
bama57
Coach Xen Scott

E-Cred: 3858

bama57

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 08, 2011, 10:03:42 AM »

I don't think we were out coached......in overtime,we appeared mentally and physically exhausted
SUPERCOACH
Coach Bear Bryant

E-Cred: 5654

Male

SUPERCOACH

"Let's go."

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 08, 2011, 10:21:23 AM »

I don't think we were out coached......in overtime,we appeared mentally and physically exhausted

I agree.  I think when we decided not to go for that last drive in regulation we took the pressure off LSU and they got their second wind, while we mentally succumbed to the pressure of having to go to OT without a decent kicking game to rely on.

"The same thing win, that always won... and we just have a different bunch of excuses if we lose"
pmull
Coach Nick Saban

E-Cred: 6109

Male

pmull

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 08, 2011, 10:43:54 AM »

I don't want to take anything away from LSU or Coach Les Miles. They did what they had to do to win the game. But, there is no way Coach Saban was outcoached in that game. CNS put the team in a position to win the game. At some point players have to make plays. I felt during the game, after the game and after watching the replay that Alabama was the better team. I put this loss on the players, not CNS and staff.

ricky023
President Denny

E-Cred: 5062

Male

ricky023

To Be One Ask One

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 08, 2011, 11:08:44 AM »

When I saw this score I automatically blamed the REF's and anybody but the players. I love this coaching staff and players and they worked so hard I couldn't blame my beloved team but your right. Players have to make plays you have to hold on to the football and you have to take the ball away from  the other guy.
We have to many jaw jackers, it comes a time that talk is ignorant and it is time to knock their helmet off. i.e. win the game like men. RTR!

John 15:5
"The Preacher"
"Rangers Lead the Way"
1/75th Rangers
Hannibal Lecter, MD
Coach Wallace Wade

E-Cred: 2961

Hannibal Lecter, MD

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 08, 2011, 12:19:59 PM »

My two cents - anyone who follows Bama's program closely knows that FGs from 45+ yards we're likely going to be 1 of 3 on or maybe 1 of 4 on a normal day.  It would be an EXTREMELY good day for Cade to hit 2 of 3 from 45-52 yards.  I truly believe Coach Saban would have told you this himself before the game had he been questioned and wanted to give a full, honest answer.

Kicking field goals from the 35 yard line with an expected value (for you stats guys) of .75-1 point for each kick is doing your team a disservice, IMO.  Punt the ball inside the 15 (and hopefully the 10) and make LSU drive the field.  Likely we would've gotten the ball back around midfield with a fresh set of downs and opportunity for a better drive.  If not, keep LSU on their end of the field, which our defense could have done.

I was also pretty livid when we wasted the final 1:30.  That seemed a cowardly move.  Maybe some saw it as smart, but I hate the "playing not to lose" mentality, especially when we were so beat up and our FG kicking was poor.  OT did not make much sense if we could possibly avoid it.  Be aggressive, take control.

I wouldn't trade Saban for any other coach in America, but IMO Saturday was a poor performance for him and the staff.  He's human; it's bound to happen.  I certainly have my share of bad days.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Next Game

vs.

Day: Saturday
Date: 8/31/2024
Time: TBD
TV: TBD
Radio: Fun 92.7
Tuscaloosa, AL

* Who's Online
  • Dot Guests: 732
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 0