Marshal Dillon Marshal Dillon
E-Cred: 3072
bamaphil bamaphil
E-Cred: 2962
Hannibal Lecter, MD Hannibal Lecter, MD
E-Cred: 2961

Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Game notes: LSU vs Bama  (Read 9571 times)
hscoach
Coach Xen Scott

E-Cred: 2824

hscoach

View Profile
« on: November 10, 2013, 01:12:33 PM »

First: I want to congratulate the Bama coaches and players on the win.  This was a game of two halves.  The game was won in the second half.   I honestly think the adjustments/decisions, along with depth, the Bama coaches made in the 2nd half won the game.  This was big boy, slobber knocking football. 

Offense:   The offense played a good game.  They came out in the second half and they were determined to run the football.  They had 6 negative plays and 1 three and out.  All were tackles for losses except for the 1 sack.  Bama had 14 plays for over 10 yard and these were balanced since there were 7 receptions and 7 runs.  Bama got into the red zone 4 times and came out with 4 TD’s, 100%.  They did score one TD from outside the red zone.  They also had 1 field goal just outside the red zone where two opportunities for TD passes.   Bama, after the first two drives scored on every drive except the one right before half time and the one where they were in victory formation.  After the field they scored on drives of 78, 80, 79, 71, and 79 yards. The fake punt was huge in this continued success.  They also never punted again after the 2nd drive.  It did looked like the D was getting off the LOS pretty good, I wonder if that had something to do with the snap count.  I also want to say here I like running out of the spread in the red zone so people can’t load the box especially with the rec’s Bama has. Also, after Bama trailed 7-3, they never trailed again.  They outgained LSU 190 to 83 in the second half.

QB:   AJ played a very good game.  He started out 3 for 7 and finished 11 for 13.  The only passes the missed were the deep balls.  One was on the flea flicker and the other shouldn’t have been thrown into double coverage.  I think KB actually came open on that play.  He did miss a throw on the first drive on the crossing route to White which would have given Bama a first down and kept the drive alive.   Also, a special congrats to AJ for being the best QB in Bama history according to stats.

RB:   Both Yeldon and Drake ran hard.  They secured the football and hit the hole hard.  They also caught the ball out of the backfield and pass blocked when called upon.

REC:  They caught the ball well and ran well after the catch when given the opportunity.  Two things I want to point out here.  One, OJ Howard can run, he was leaving DB’s which usually match up pretty well with TE’s.  Second, I like the wide rec screen, but asking Vogler to block a more agile CB on the screen is a hard job.  On two plays before the FG, I don’t know if OJ quit running or the ball was overthrown that much.  Also, the next play AJ threw the corner, but Jones looked like he was on a seam route.  I don’t know what the read was on that play.  I also, think Jones was grabbed by the DB and holding call could have been made.

OL:   They played pretty well.  They dominated the LOS in the second half.  Bama took all three of their drives for TD mostly by running the football.  I saw combo blocks and OLmen getting a big push.   

Defense:  The defense also was a game of two halves. LSU gained 232 yards in the first half but only 83 in the second.  Now part of this was the way the offense held on to the football.  They did give up 11plays for over 10 yards.  The good news is 8 of those were in the first half and only 3 in the second.  Only two of these plays were runs. The D had 12 negative plays.  They had 4 TFL, 5 sacks, and 2 fumble recoveries.  They also had the opportunity for 3 or 4 interceptions, but didn’t make the play.  They had 1 3 and out and one 4 and out.  The 4 and out was huge.  LSU had just taken the kickoff for 82 yards and the LSU went backwards from there.  Bama took over on downs.  They did lose the edge a couple of time early but overall played a solid game.  The players that stood out to me were 30, 32, 33, 8, 42, 49 and 26.  One of the biggest plays in the game was on the first drive with LSU going in and Patrick knocks the ball lose and Bama recovers.

DL:  I thought this was one of their best games.  I thought they were physical and got a good push on passing plays.  They may not have always sacked the QB, but they hit him a few times.   There are some plays you just have to see.  Ivory did a great job one time where you can see him extend his hands and hold the OLmen off and help make the play. This is great DL play.

LB:  I thought all played well and came up with some big hits.  I guess the negative here is CJ could have had a couple of int’s. 

DB:  They played some of the most talented rec’s they will face and did a pretty good job.  The LSU QB was 10 for 13 in the first half and only 6 for 10 in the second half.   This was also aided by a better pass rush. 

Penalties:   Bama had a few penalties, but was able to overcome most of them. 

Special teams:   I will take reasonability for the kick cover team lack of tackling.  Ever since I started a thread about this being the best special teams at Bama, they have given up big yards on kickoff returns.  A couple of observations, one a Bama player was being held so bad on the big return it could have been considered illegal activity in many states and two did  you notice the hustle of Drake trying to make the play on the long return.  I would also like to see Jones take a knee in the end zone when he is back peddling to make the catch in the end zone.  If his momentum is going out, then bring the ball out.

Finally:  Have you all noticed how young this defense is?
Chechem
President Denny

E-Cred: 7228

Chechem

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2013, 01:35:37 PM »

This was big boy, slobber knocking football.
Laughing  Well said!

OJ Howard can run...
Can't argue with you, coach.  The boy's a missile. 

I guess the negative here is CJ could have had a couple of int’s. 
You're a tough sell, coach.  The boy had an incredible game, made a ton of tackles, directed the defense, and even made the call on the fake punt.  Guess he should have sold cokes at half time!   

Have you all noticed how young this defense is?
Sorry, coach, but I gave up noticing how young everybody is when I passed 60.  They were all born after 1990!  They have never seen a dial telephone, never heard 60s music, and never eat anything that sprouted roots or ears.   

hscoach
Coach Xen Scott

hscoach

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 10, 2013, 01:42:38 PM »

This was big boy, slobber knocking football.
Laughing  Well said!

OJ Howard can run...
Can't argue with you, coach.  The boy's a missile.  

I guess the negative here is CJ could have had a couple of int’s.  
You're a tough sell, coach.  The boy had an incredible game, made a ton of tackles, directed the defense, and even made the call on the fake punt.  Guess he should have sold cokes at half time!  

Have you all noticed how young this defense is?
Sorry, coach, but I gave up noticing how young everybody is when I passed 60.  They were all born after 1990!  They have never seen a dial telephone, never heard 60s music, and never eat anything that sprouted roots or ears.  

Love all your responses.

« Last Edit: November 10, 2013, 01:47:51 PM by Chechem » Logged
lstephen
Coach E. B. Beaumont

E-Cred: 83

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 10, 2013, 03:01:17 PM »

Love the slobber knocking comment, coach!  I just hope the guys remember the A&M game last year and don't wait until the second half to start playing next week.  With all the Alabama hate around the country we can't afford any sips on the way to 16!  ROLL TIDE!!!  And thanks for the notes!
carl childers
Grad Student

E-Cred: 349

Male

carl childers

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 10, 2013, 03:59:46 PM »

This game was like watching two sledgehammers pound on each other. This game always has me nervous because LSU matches up personnel-wise better than anyone and it is such a physical game. I think that the O line has grown by leaps and bounds since game 1. Also, Collins  and Howard are absolute studs who get better each week. 

Saban about the 2011 Alabama defense: "They are a hateful bunch..."
BAMADCHAMPSHIPS
Coach E. B. Beaumont

E-Cred: 3378

Male

BAMADCHAMPSHIPS

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 10, 2013, 06:09:05 PM »

Great notes as usual hscoach!

I've been wondering what your thoughts are on A. Hubbard. He was a guy that was suppose to make a lot of noise this year then move on to the NFL. Is he having a great season but overshadowed by CJ? I know by his measurables he's a shoe in to enter early. Do you think he'll be back next year?
hscoach
Coach Xen Scott

hscoach

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 10, 2013, 06:31:33 PM »

I've been wondering what your thoughts are on A. Hubbard. He was a guy that was suppose to make a lot of noise this year then move on to the NFL. Is he having a great season but overshadowed by CJ? I know by his measurables he's a shoe in to enter early. Do you think he'll be back next year?

I think he is doing a good job in what they ask him to do.  This is a hard question because I don't know what his responsibilities are in the game plan each week.   I hope he comes back but that will be decided later. 
Jamos
Coach Gene Stallings

E-Cred: 5801

Male

Jamos

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 10, 2013, 06:35:06 PM »

Good stuff Coach, wish you could have been there.

“There were no arguments, those are called ass-chewings,” . Coach Nick Saban
hscoach
Coach Xen Scott

hscoach

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 10, 2013, 06:53:41 PM »

Good stuff Coach, wish you could have been there.

Thanks, I wish I could have been there. Maybe I can make the MSU game.
BAMADCHAMPSHIPS
Coach E. B. Beaumont

E-Cred: 3378

Male

BAMADCHAMPSHIPS

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 10, 2013, 06:57:32 PM »

I think he is doing a good job in what they ask him to do.  This is a hard question because I don't know what his responsibilities are in the game plan each week.   I hope he comes back but that will be decided later. 

Thanks. I think he's an important piece to the defense.
lstephen
Coach E. B. Beaumont

E-Cred: 83

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 10, 2013, 10:21:12 PM »

I was really glad to see Tana Patrick make his play on the Copeland strip.  A senior who has been there, done the right things, etc., with little or no recognition.  There's a life lesson there for all of us!
N.AL-Tider
Coach Wallace Wade

E-Cred: 3190

N.AL-Tider

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 11, 2013, 09:50:16 AM »

Did anyone else besides me notice that Ivory looks like he has lost a substantial amount of weight?  Last year he was huge but Saturday I saw him and he almost looked more like a LB...almost. Wink

"Play by play, that’s how we win here."

Eddie Jackson  Dec. 2016
SUPERCOACH
Coach Bear Bryant

E-Cred: 5654

Male

SUPERCOACH

"Let's go."

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 11, 2013, 10:25:56 AM »

Thanks for the good notes, as always, coach.

Congrats to AJ for being the best QB in the country, according to CNS (and me).

This game was a huge test to see how far we have come since the beginning of the season.  We were not perfect, but we are ready for anything that comes our way now.
« Last Edit: November 11, 2013, 10:27:35 AM by SUPERCOACH » Logged

"The same thing win, that always won... and we just have a different bunch of excuses if we lose"
SUPERCOACH
Coach Bear Bryant

E-Cred: 5654

Male

SUPERCOACH

"Let's go."

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 11, 2013, 10:27:17 AM »

This game was like watching two sledgehammers pound on each other. This game always has me nervous because LSU matches up personnel-wise better than anyone and it is such a physical game. I think that the O line has grown by leaps and bounds since game 1. Also, Collins  and Howard are absolute studs who get better each week. 

I wonder if a reporter is going to ask CLM how he likes being the nail again in his press conference on Monday.  Laughing

"The same thing win, that always won... and we just have a different bunch of excuses if we lose"
hscoach
Coach Xen Scott

hscoach

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 11, 2013, 01:45:06 PM »

I just want to throw this out there.  This concerns the play where Norwood was hit late.  To be honest I don't think he was down.  I thought he was laying on top of the LSU player and could have gotten up to run.  However, that being said, I did think the LSU player came in with the crown of the helmet and could have been called for targeting.  Your toughts.
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Next Game

vs.

Day: Saturday
Date: 8/31/2024
Time: TBD
TV: TBD
Radio: Fun 92.7
Tuscaloosa, AL

* Who's Online
  • Dot Guests: 757
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 0