Marshal Dillon Marshal Dillon
E-Cred: 3072
bamaphil bamaphil
E-Cred: 2962
Hannibal Lecter, MD Hannibal Lecter, MD
E-Cred: 2961

Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Jalen hurts  (Read 8441 times)
Chechem
President Denny

E-Cred: 7228

Chechem

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: January 10, 2018, 05:50:25 PM »

Just my opinion...there's no way that Tua isn't the starter as of right now. There's multiple reasons why reverting to Jalen at this point would be detrimental. The team is aware of who gives them the best chance to win. If he is not the starter, you start losing the team. Two, do you think the 5 star talent at the WR position continues to roll in when they know that the QB is not well rounded and can throw the ball? Think Blake Sims...how many receptions did any receiver have that wasn't named Amari Cooper. This year...other than Ridley, how many receptions?

Why go back to a limited playbook because personnel limitations? Does Tua stay if Jalen is still the named the starter. No way Jalen improves enough to be a top 3 QB in the draft after his junior season...

Several things will happen within the next few months: Saban will meet with both QBs; Jalen will be given options; spring practice will help sort out the roles. 

For instance, Jalen could play a slot position, and still be a backup QB when needed.  Image him on a jet sweep with run/pass options.

2Stater
President Denny

E-Cred: 7921

Male

2Stater

Kazowie!

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 10, 2018, 06:17:05 PM »

Just my opinion...there's no way that Tua isn't the starter as of right now. There's multiple reasons why reverting to Jalen at this point would be detrimental. The team is aware of who gives them the best chance to win. If he is not the starter, you start losing the team. Two, do you think the 5 star talent at the WR position continues to roll in when they know that the QB is not well rounded and can throw the ball? Think Blake Sims...how many receptions did any receiver have that wasn't named Amari Cooper. This year...other than Ridley, how many receptions?

Why go back to a limited playbook because personnel limitations? Does Tua stay if Jalen is still the named the starter. No way Jalen improves enough to be a top 3 QB in the draft after his junior season...

All good points. Nice post.

As we all probably already know, it will come down to a QB competition in spring and maybe fall practices. If Tua was to emerge as the clear leader after the A Day game, then the discussions will begin about options for Jalen. I like the idea of a position change for Jalen, if it comes down to that, but using him also in certain packages and as a backup.

Long way to go though.
McBaman
Coach Xen Scott

E-Cred: 1150

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 10, 2018, 07:29:46 PM »

I watched the 2nd half of the game again today.  (Hey...I like the way it ends!!)

Tua is so far ahead of Jalen as a QB...it's not even close.  Imagine what he will be like as a 2nd year guy and with a playbook built around his skills.  It's a completely different mind set for the O.
Hannibal Lecter, MD
Coach Wallace Wade

E-Cred: 2961

Hannibal Lecter, MD

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 10, 2018, 08:18:10 PM »

I watched the 2nd half of the game again today.  (Hey...I like the way it ends!!)

Tua is so far ahead of Jalen as a QB...it's not even close.  Imagine what he will be like as a 2nd year guy and with a playbook built around his skills.  It's a completely different mind set for the O.

They will start spring "even" I'm sure, but that's in name only.  Jalen doesn't do anything better than Tua other than hold the ball and run out of bounds.  I salute him for his character and being a great teammate, but if there is a "competition," it is only out of respect to him for those qualities.  Jalen has not shown any significant improvement.  He was a bit more accurate this year, but his decision making and vision were still horrific.  He was dragging our offense down, including the game planning to try to use his "strengths."  Our offense had been horrible against good defenses all year.

In the LSU, MSU, and Auburn games he had the ball in his hands when the whistle blew 57 times (roughly 1/3 of our snaps), partly by design and partly due to his inability to distribute the ball.  That was ridiculous and ineffective (barely 3 yards a play).

« Last Edit: January 10, 2018, 08:27:21 PM by Hannibal Lecter, MD » Logged
2Stater
President Denny

Male

2Stater

Kazowie!

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 10, 2018, 08:54:00 PM »

I watched the 2nd half of the game again today.  (Hey...I like the way it ends!!)

Tua is so far ahead of Jalen as a QB...it's not even close.  Imagine what he will be like as a 2nd year guy and with a playbook built around his skills.  It's a completely different mind set for the O.

They will start spring "even" I'm sure, but that's in name only.  Jalen doesn't do anything better than Tua other than hold the ball and run out of bounds.  I salute him for his character and being a great teammate, but if there is a "competition," it is only out of respect to him for those qualities.  Jalen has not shown any significant improvement.  He was a bit more accurate this year, but his decision making and vision were still horrific.  He was dragging our offense down, including the game planning to try to use his "strengths."  Our offense had been horrible against good defenses all year.

In the LSU, MSU, and Auburn games he had the ball in his hands when the whistle blew 57 times (roughly 1/3 of our snaps), partly by design and partly due to his inability to distribute the ball.  That was ridiculous and ineffective (barely 3 yards a play).

That boggles the mind.  Shocked
ricky023
President Denny

E-Cred: 5062

Male

ricky023

To Be One Ask One

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 10, 2018, 09:32:48 PM »

What about Little Tua if he decides to come this way? RTR!

John 15:5
"The Preacher"
"Rangers Lead the Way"
1/75th Rangers
Chechem
President Denny

E-Cred: 7228

Chechem

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 11, 2018, 04:51:14 AM »

What about Little Tua if he decides to come this way? RTR!

READ the recruiting thread, Ricky.

Catch Prothro
Coach Gene Stallings

E-Cred: 5215

Catch Prothro

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 11, 2018, 07:43:01 AM »

Thanks for the stats.  We all saw it, but I wasn't counting.   

I agree that the offense should be built around Tua.  He made some freshman errors, but he also has a huge upside in terms of talent that can be developed through the spring and summer. 

After two seasons, JH hasn't progressed much in his passing or reads.  And with JH at QB, all that talent at WR is wasted.  JH is a great athlete, but he probably cannot realize his potential at the QB position.  As others have noted, some QBs take time to develop, but it seems that JH is not progressing much on the mental side of the game.   

I started wondering about midway through the season why Tua only had mop up duty.  After watching his freshman errors in the championship game, it was clear why he didn't play in the big games earlier -- we didn't need him, except maybe against Auburn.  Perhaps Tua's season, practicing and playing as backup, plus the extra practice time before the Clemson game when JH had the flu, allowed him to be ready when duty called.  The coaches seemed more willing to insert him into the Georgia game than other tight games Bama faced earlier in the season.  So while JH was frustrating at times, the coaches obviously thought he was our best chance for success during the regular season.  As Saban rightly noted, JH was the QB who got us to the playoffs.   
Catch Prothro
Coach Gene Stallings

Catch Prothro

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 11, 2018, 08:20:11 AM »

Pretty funny photo attached.  Don't know how to upload it.
2Stater
President Denny

Male

2Stater

Kazowie!

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 11, 2018, 08:24:43 AM »

Pretty funny photo attached.  Don't know how to upload it.

Here ya go, CP.

Catch Prothro
Coach Gene Stallings

Catch Prothro

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: January 11, 2018, 10:24:21 AM »

Awesome 2.

Speaking of FGs:

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6pm_z4Rtkg8" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6pm_z4Rtkg8</a>
XBAMA
Coach Wallace Wade

E-Cred: 4632

Male

XBAMA

Roll Tide

View Profile WWW
« Reply #26 on: January 11, 2018, 01:36:27 PM »

Tired of people not appreciating the fact that if this man led us to the National Championship. And for all the fans that are against Jalen, you against me too. You either WITH US or AGAINST US. Love you 2 🐐#BigBroLittleBro @JalenHurts pic.twitter.com/ExjHAB7yHh

— Tua Tagovailoa (@Tuaamann_) January 11, 2018

God And Guns got us here and God and Guns will keep us here
Crimson Phoenix
Grad Student

E-Cred: 173

Female

Crimson Phoenix

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: January 11, 2018, 03:47:46 PM »

Running Back
hscoach
Coach Xen Scott

E-Cred: 2824

hscoach

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: January 12, 2018, 11:43:45 AM »

As far as Jalen, he has come this year he still won't throw into tight windows the way Tua does. Like others have stated, I think this is because of the years of playin, probably with 1 read in the passing game, then get what you can mentality.   I honestly think Jalen would make a heck of a slot rec.  In this role, he could run the jet sweep as well as get isolated on LB's and safeties.  To also be honest, in my opinion, I think the OL played a hell of a lot better in the second half than they did in the first half which helped Tua.  I also think you could put a package where he lines up in the backfield and motions out to the side that gives the O an advantage as well as run the ball behind a lead back.  Think of what would look like a max protect set with 3 wide rec and Harris, either one, and Hurts in the backfield.  You could run a screen to either player but also release one who would have the opportunity to goes against a LB in coverage.  I really don't think Jalen is an NFL quarterback so it would benefit him to make a move.  The other question, who would be your back up quarterback?  I don't think you could as Jalen to be a backup quarterback and be an effective slot rec. 
XBAMA
Coach Wallace Wade

E-Cred: 4632

Male

XBAMA

Roll Tide

View Profile WWW
« Reply #29 on: January 12, 2018, 03:18:44 PM »

As far as Jalen, he has come this year he still won't throw into tight windows the way Tua does.

just not to tight coach 

Laughing Laughing Laughing

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5aGF7MwlDts" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5aGF7MwlDts</a>

God And Guns got us here and God and Guns will keep us here
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Next Game

vs.

Day: Saturday
Date: 8/31/2024
Time: TBD
TV: TBD
Radio: Fun 92.7
Tuscaloosa, AL

* Who's Online
  • Dot Guests: 539
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 0