Marshal Dillon Marshal Dillon
E-Cred: 3072
bamaphil bamaphil
E-Cred: 2962
Hannibal Lecter, MD Hannibal Lecter, MD
E-Cred: 2961

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Billy Neighbors, Alabama football great dies at 72  (Read 2413 times)
Jamos
Coach Gene Stallings

E-Cred: 5801

Male

Jamos

View Profile
« on: April 30, 2012, 06:12:04 PM »

Billy Neighbors, a College Football Hall of Famer who anchored the line for Bear Bryant's first national championship team at Alabama, died Monday afternoon at age 72.

Neighbors, a prominent Huntsville businessman after his retirement from professional football, suffered a heart attack last Wednesday.

Neighbors is survived by his wife Susan, daughter Claire and sons Wes and Keith. Both Wes and Keith followed their father's footsteps and played football at Alabama. Of his six grandchildren, grandson Wesley was a student assistant coach at Alabama last season after an injury ended his playing career there and another grandson Connor plays for LSU.

Neighbors, who played both offense and defense for the Tide, was named to Alabama's All-Century team. He had an eight-year career in pro ball with the Boston Patriots and Miami Dolphins and was twice named All-Pro.

He is a member of the Alabama Sports Hall of Fame, the Huntsville-Madison County Athletic Hall of Fame as well as the college hall.

« Last Edit: April 30, 2012, 06:19:09 PM by Jamos » Logged

“There were no arguments, those are called ass-chewings,” . Coach Nick Saban
XBAMA
Coach Wallace Wade

E-Cred: 4632

Male

XBAMA

Roll Tide

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2012, 06:16:24 PM »

RIP Billy ...  Pray for your family

the Crimson Flame your name is written in burns on in honor 

God And Guns got us here and God and Guns will keep us here
BAMAWV
Coach Nick Saban

E-Cred: 2454

BAMAWV

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2012, 06:20:41 PM »

Roll Tide.

If my standards are not high enough, kindly lower yours.
cbbama99
Coach Wallace Wade

E-Cred: 2889

Male

cbbama99

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2012, 06:29:05 PM »

ROLL TIDE, Billy. You will be greatly missed.  Sad

"Fat, drunk, and stupid is no way to go through life, son."
Chechem
President Denny

E-Cred: 7228

Chechem

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 30, 2012, 07:28:39 PM »

One of Bama's greatest.  Roll Tide.   Sad

Leewillie
Coach Xen Scott

E-Cred: 3348

Leewillie

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 30, 2012, 08:00:11 PM »

My condolences to the Neighbors family.

Billy was one of the good guys and played during my college days.

Roll Tide
KoKoPuf
Coach Xen Scott

E-Cred: 3504

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 30, 2012, 08:25:38 PM »

Billy was a friend of mine and I worked closely with him for a couple of years. He truly was one of the good guys and a great player! He will be missed. My condolences to Susan and his family.
XBAMA
Coach Wallace Wade

E-Cred: 4632

Male

XBAMA

Roll Tide

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: April 30, 2012, 11:26:55 PM »

thought some of you may not have read this and might want to ...
Kerry G. shared it on FB

SEE YOU DOWN THE ROAD 'BIG BILLY' By:Jack Norman Roby

I just received a text message from my son Bubba that I had been uneasily waiting for for several days. I had hoped and prayed I would get something different but in my heart and reasoning mind was almost certain I would get exactly what came at 2:41 pm. I had lost a good friend and a true idol in many ways. My friend and Bubba's father-in-law, Billy Neighbors had ended this part of his journey and moved on to the eternal life he claimed and was promised so long ago.

As a high school football lineman in the early 60's, living in Alabama I first came to know Billy as one of Coach Bryant's first recruits and the cornerstone of arguably the best team in college football history. Billy was everybody's All-American and pretty much considered the best lineman in college football during those first heady days of Coach Bryant's early days. I watch in awe as he appeared on the Bob Hope All-American show and starred in the Senior Bowl at the conclusion of his senior year. I read every article and remember every picture of Coach Bryant, Billy, Pat Trammel, Lee Roy Jordan and all the rest of those great teams that finally ended the Civil War for a lot of us Alabamians.

Even though I was always an Auburn fan I found it hard to ever believe there was a better lineman alive. I continued to follow my hero's career as he played 10 years in the AFL and NFL at New England and Miami. Billy was bigger than life to me and I had never even met him. That's just the way it is with young folks in Alabama back in the day.

Later as the 80's broke my hero was sending his kids to play and excel for my old rival Alabama. Wes and Keith, two sons followed their dad to Tuscaloosa and even though they continued to harass my Tigers I had to admire the boys because of the place in my mind I had their Dad. I did not even know Billy was also the father of a beautiful, smart and talented daughter, Claire, until Bubba had the good sense to find her, fall and love and ask her to marry him.

I don't know if it was 15 or 16 years ago but when my son told me he was dating and very serious about Billy Neighbors daughter I was totally blown away. When the time came for me to meet this person I had idolized so long I had no idea what to expect. We met at a sandwich shop on Governors Drive across from the hospital where our grandchildren were born and Billy completed this part of the journey. On that night I could not have had greater expectations if we had been meeting the President of the US or any other person alive at the time. That night, along with my wife Patsy, Billy's fantastic wife Susan, Charley Warren and his wife I finally met the man I had held in such high regard for so long. He was nothing like the man I had created in my mind since those days back in the early sixty's.

From the first time I met Billy I was impressed this man was so much more than I had ever imagined. Billy along with my Dad and a few others in my life showed me what a real man was really all about. It was easy to see the man's man I had expected. By then in his mid to late 50's Billy was still imposing as a physical specimen. 6'0 to 6'2 and still weighing around 250 pounds I saw the Billy Neighbors I had expected to see. Thick as a side of prime beef but carrying very little of any excess weight, I would not have doubted his ability to still move anyone the Green Bay Packers would have put in front of him. The thing I did not expect was the kind, sensitive, loving father and grandfather and husband I came to know.

From then on I was around Billy through all kinds of times. I was with him in New York when he was inducted into the College Football Hall of Fame and later in Indianapolis when he was enshrined. We have shared many meals and ball park time. He was no different than when he was watching every son, daughter, grandson, grand-daughter play T-ball, college football or being confirmed as a member of a church. I have seen and witnessed great family men in my own family and others I have been around, but no one any more devoted to their family than Billy Neighbors. My last meal in his home was this past Easter. Billy's love for those around him, his own and all others surrounding them was immeasurable. Every child and grandchild will never doubt what was important to 'Big Billy'. These kids and all those who knew him in any way know that while the history of the pictures on the wall in the basement den were reminders of a wonderful life, nothing equaled the love this man had for Susan, Wes, Claire, Keith, all the grand kids and those people Billy embraced in his huge reach.

Billy was so much more than anything that will be written about him. He loved Coach Bryant, all his teammates both at Alabama and in the Pros. He also loved the guy that came by the office and cleaned up his car from time to time. He loved those who tried to be winners in their lives and loved them regardless of the level of success they reached. Billy loved the University of Alabama but when his grandson Conner went to LSU he loved the Tigers. It took a big man to have and share all the love Billy Neighbors shared.

Billy Neighbors was a winner long before Coach Bryant found him and he was a winner on the last day of April 2012. If God is assembling a team to win that final battle the Bible tells us about he's got his Captain and indisputable leader with him today.

Billy was a lot more about love than I ever dreamed. For this he is being brought home to never suffer another minute throughout eternity. When the day comes for Christ to come again, don't be surprised to see #73 leading all the angels out of the huddle.

God And Guns got us here and God and Guns will keep us here
Chechem
President Denny

E-Cred: 7228

Chechem

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 01, 2012, 05:11:02 AM »

Mal Moore:
“Hearing the news of the passing of Billy Neighbors is very difficult,” Alabama athletic director Mal Moore said. “Billy meant so much to Alabama football over the decades. He was one of our first great players under Coach Bryant, and he had become a tremendous friend to me and everyone in the Alabama family. Billy was easy to like. It was always easy to talk with Billy. We spoke three or four times a week for as far back as I can remember."
Click here for link

Jamos
Coach Gene Stallings

E-Cred: 5801

Male

Jamos

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 01, 2012, 05:40:37 AM »

The last time that I saw Billy was at a scrimmage in Bryant Denny, I sat behind him and some of his friends. Wes was a soph that year and was battling for some playing time but his dad was quick to say at times during the scrimmage that Wes needed to get a little quicker and tougher if he expected to get that playing time. I wish I could remember who was sitting with him, they were past players as well.

RIP Billy and Roll Tide!!  Sad

“There were no arguments, those are called ass-chewings,” . Coach Nick Saban
2Stater
President Denny

E-Cred: 7921

Male

2Stater

Kazowie!

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 01, 2012, 06:06:31 AM »

R.I.P. Billy.
cbbama99
Coach Wallace Wade

E-Cred: 2889

Male

cbbama99

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 01, 2012, 09:20:08 AM »

Geez, this has been a rough last couple of months. First, we lose two of our own here in Taz and Coach Hank close together, now we lose two of our football heroes so close together.  Sad Sad

"Fat, drunk, and stupid is no way to go through life, son."
bama87
Coach E. B. Beaumont

E-Cred: 2132

Male

bama87

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 01, 2012, 10:11:43 AM »

RIP and God Bless you, Billy Neighbors.
Leroy
Coach E. B. Beaumont

E-Cred: 1906

Leroy

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 01, 2012, 10:59:41 AM »

Sad RIP Billy Neighbors...  Prayers for all of your family and friends along with all of those whose lives you touched and influenced in such a positive way...you will be missed  Pray

ricky023
President Denny

E-Cred: 5062

Male

ricky023

To Be One Ask One

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 01, 2012, 11:42:39 AM »

RIP Brother Billy. May God be your coach now and you will always win the game no matter what. Family we are praying for you. RTR!

John 15:5
"The Preacher"
"Rangers Lead the Way"
1/75th Rangers
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Next Game

vs.

Day: Saturday
Date: 8/31/2024
Time: TBD
TV: TBD
Radio: Fun 92.7
Tuscaloosa, AL

* Who's Online
  • Dot Guests: 709
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 0