Marshal Dillon Marshal Dillon
E-Cred: 3072
bamaphil bamaphil
E-Cred: 2962
Hannibal Lecter, MD Hannibal Lecter, MD
E-Cred: 2961

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Whew what a day! Spring news and notes...  (Read 9296 times)
Toxik76
Junior

E-Cred: 386

Male

Toxik76

Touch that thang 4!!!!

View Profile
« on: March 10, 2012, 12:53:50 AM »

Hi guys, what a busy day it has been, but Spring is FINALLY here and we finally have the return of football yipee!!

I know it has been a while, been working OT, you guys already know, so I'll get right into it

Saban feels like this layout is by far the best. Simply put, we have a larger number of impact enrollees, note the word IMPACT, so we did a WO today then they will go away for SB and come back and get into it, keeps players minds focused even with the week off and lays groundwork.

As far as EEs go, a number of them look to have significant roles on this years team. I will start with both JuCo guys Deion Belue and Travell Dixon. Belue is going to be a wonderful asset, he is almost an exact clone of NFL CB and one of my fav Bama players over the last 5 or so yrs Javy Arenas, just taller (Javy was 5'7 at combine, Belue is easily 6') he has been a film junkie ever since he stepped foot on campus studying Bama secondary the last 2 yrs and getting a feel, and all indications are he is a VERY quick learner, Saban raved about both JuCo guys today at practice all day, but I think he has a soft spot for Belue because he always sees him with a coach looking at film, something a few of the D greats under Saban have had like Rolando and Hightower. Dixon is a physical specimen, he honestly looks like a LB at most SEC schools and running drills today in coverage kept step for step with every WR, had great hip movement and hand motion in coverage, gonna be lockdown, can't wait to get him in pads and see how well he does, Bama got 2 really great CBs that I could likely see starting if not playing monumental roles next year (especially Belue as a returner)

Fair warning to all of you on TJ Yeldon, he is a monster already, dove into our strength and conditioning program with Scott and is up to about 215 and easily a foot taller than any other RB, just a site to see, and a totally different threat at RB than Saban has had, more in the mold of a fast and powerful downhill runner think Darren McFadden. He is already SEC size as mentioned, if he can get in there and block on passing downs he will see the field sooner rather than later.

The 2 WRs are progressing well, Chris Black honestly is a lot faster than I expected and anticipated and remember the staff had little opportunity to work Chris out extensively until he got on campus because of the injury he sustained in HS this year. I could see him having a role on screens etc just a speed demon with good hands. Amari Cooper is a different animal, we might not have seen a total package WR like him since Julio, although he is smaller (6'1, 205) he was turning heads left and right today with catches one handed and extending etc, like I said he needs some meat and muscle, but he is one to watch out for when Spring resumes.

On the 2 LB's, I really feel both are gonna be something special, Ryan Anderson showed his versatility and athleticism today and honestly his body type looks like that of a 2nd or 3rd year player, but he has great feet and change of direction and already has a good feel for the position at Jack OLB, look for him to seriously push Hubbard and Dickson for that open spot. I really liked what I saw out of Diploma Lee as well, he is only about 235, feels funny saying only referencing a LB, but I remember when Moseley 1st participated in practices and you could see his versatility and ability to cover in space and in different coverages as a sort of roamer, and Diploma has that same type of ability, he has a knack for the ball in coverage, but he just has the ability I saw Moseley have in coverage.

Big boy (Alphonse) Taylor, man oh man, he has slimmed down to about 345 and you can see big time what the staff sees in signing him and letting him play NG in our 3 man, he is athletic and quick, a LOT better technique and fundamentals than honestly I thought (expecting a very raw player, standing straight up no early push at attack point, none of that, and remember the reason we thought that is he hasn't played at DT since he was a Soph in HS, switched to OL). I think Saban might have found our next great NG ala Mt Cody

Now for the state of the team:

Most of these guys are really excited and eager to jot let next year be a repeat of 2010, On O there are a few very clear leaders, McCarron has really taken a leadership role and it is definitely his team, also it goes without saying that Barrett Jones is also a team leader and somewhat of a folk hero to the new underclassmen lol since word spread today about his annual SB trip this year to Guatemala I believe, could be wrong, anyway he is back inside and thrilled, had a huge grin, Saban told him today if he let's him stay he better win another lineman trophy, Barrett told him anything to stay here coach, how remarkable would that be also to have an OL to win an award as an OG, OT, and OC (which is what he was practicing at and what he will be playing this year) greatest lineman in the history of Bama football. That means it is full speed ahead for Cyrus or CyKo at LT, I am excited about that.

On D, a few guys really starting to step up but the most important thing this unit is looking to achieve is to have a group effort in leadership, the main guys though are Nico, Lester, and Square so far, also saw a good bit of Vinnie talking to players pumping guys up

Our absolute bellcow position this year is DL, there are some serious monsters in those trenches this year, Jesse Williams has put on weight up to 325 about 10 lbs and kept speed and agility, a few guys factoring in heavily are gonna be Square of course, Jeoffrey Pagan who looks like a Greek god, and LaMichael Fanning, Fanning has the versatility of being an inside guy on 4 down and an outside guy on 3, and he almost won a backup role last year and at the last second coaches decided to RS him to let him get plays etc under his belt, Pagan had a better grasp, which is why he wasn't RSed and played a good bit last year. The Jack OLB/rush is wide open great competition for all this Spring for that role, Hubbard looks like he has the best grasp of the termanology etc, but I would be lying if I said I would be shocked to even see a TF like Anderson win out if he knows D simply because he is so much more athletic.

A few WRs have added on some muscle, most notably Norwood, who will likely have expanded role this year, and Marvin Shinn, who was RSed because he was EXTREMELY talented but came in so skinny at about 175 now he is at 195, nice size for his frame

The staff feels so confident at the DL position they moved Brandon Lewis over to TE permanently and changed his # to 88, he is behind Michael Williams and Hback is Harrison Jones and then Brian Vogler

I'll update you guys with more later its late lol
Chechem
President Denny

E-Cred: 7228

Chechem

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2012, 03:32:46 AM »

Tox, this is a great update (and very timely and welcomed after the basketball loss).

Thanks for the news.  Once I wake up a bit I'll ask a few questions.  Good stuff!   Applause E-Cred

BAMAWV
Coach Nick Saban

E-Cred: 2454

BAMAWV

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2012, 05:22:05 AM »

CyKo---LOL  Applause E-Cred

If my standards are not high enough, kindly lower yours.
2Stater
President Denny

E-Cred: 7921

Male

2Stater

Kazowie!

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2012, 05:34:03 AM »

As always, we appreciate your detailed info. Sounds like a lot to be excited about again. Can't wait for the A Day game! Thanks Tox.  Applause E-Cred
Jamos
Coach Gene Stallings

E-Cred: 5801

Male

Jamos

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2012, 06:02:56 AM »

Good stuff Tox, great way to start my Saturday!!   Applause E-Cred

“There were no arguments, those are called ass-chewings,” . Coach Nick Saban
pmull
Coach Nick Saban

E-Cred: 6108

Male

pmull

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 10, 2012, 07:23:17 AM »

Great report Tox. thanks for taking the time to give us such a good and detailed report. I put this on the front page so no one will miss it.
BAMADCHAMPSHIPS
Coach E. B. Beaumont

E-Cred: 3378

Male

BAMADCHAMPSHIPS

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 10, 2012, 07:26:20 AM »

Nice info!
ALTideUp
Coach E. B. Beaumont

E-Cred: 2045

ALTideUp

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 10, 2012, 07:27:23 AM »

Tox - you have to give it to us in smaller doses, man. I just ran out my front door and pancaked a jogger.

"When the going get's weird, the weird turn pro"

Hunter S. Thompson
Toxik76
Junior

Male

Toxik76

Touch that thang 4!!!!

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 10, 2012, 07:46:29 AM »

Good morning

Also a little note on an underclassman at Bama's Pro Day. Scouts were al floored by this, but almost every school will have 1 or 2 underclassmen just do a preliminary WO, run and lift to get scouts interested for next year, one was Jesse Williams this year, his measurements were right over 6'3, taller than the avg DL in this years draft, weight was 328, again bigger and larger than what he played at (played at 310 15 range, bulking up for NG) then he mined up and ran his 40 twice, a scout I talked to clicked his 1st time at 4.81 and his 2nd at 4.74, shocked everyone in attendance, then he got to lift and in front of a huge crowd and Cochran pumping him up he benches the 225 (combine weight) 54 times no lie that's 10 reps better than the all time record, I got asked several times and I quote "Why the HELL isn't he coming out? If he ran and lifted like that at the combine, he would be Bama's 6th 1st rd pick" My reply? "Too much Bama in him still, gotta come back and help win another 'Ship" Mayock told me he could easily be a top 5 pick next year as a Haloti Ngata clone, and he is gonna go watch all the tape he can get because he knows he will be a MAJOR prospect teams will be fighting over next year, in fact the word got out so fast about him that Mike said some teams have changed draft plans to take a DL NEXT year hoping to get him. Also a few notes on some underrated guys coming out this year, Mayock told me he has been a HUGE fan of Menzie simply put because he was a starter among a group of superstars and he still stood out on film and is easily one of the better tacklers at his position this year, he knows the 40 time at Combine was slower than he thought, but he improved it, and he expects him to be drafted and push for a starting spot as a nickel/dime DB. Also raved about Brad Smelley who he compared favorably to Indy TE or former now I guess Dallas Clark as a smaller guy with great hands and athleticism, could def see him on a pass heavy offense as an option still as a blocker and said he thinks in the right offense could have a very productive NFL career.
lstephen
Coach E. B. Beaumont

E-Cred: 83

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 10, 2012, 08:07:33 AM »

Thanks, Tox.  Great stuff!
Toxik76
Junior

Male

Toxik76

Touch that thang 4!!!!

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 10, 2012, 08:16:26 AM »

A few more notes

**Robert Lester, Jesse Williams, Damion Square, Dee Milliner, A.J. McCarron, Barrett Jones and Michael Williams all make up the team’s leadership committee.

**Found out this morning that Saban met with Duron Carter about reinstatement to the team yesterday, still hope that he rejoins the team, he's got a way to go though I'll update if I find anything else out

**I'm sorry it was so late before I got to get on here and as a result forgot a few more notes. Yesterday was Coach Nuss' 1st practice and LT's 1st back, and both guys had some new drills and termanology, particularly Nuss with groups of TEs, seems like he is gonna have a lot more involvement early on with the TEs and had them running full route trees, Vogler stood out recieving, and MWill is a freak as well got bigger also, also I talked earlier about Brandon Lewis switching permanently to TE, but what I didn't mention is he dropped about 35 lbs down to 265, trying to get a hold of that position at a much smaller weight.

**Another guy I forgot to mention that got absolutely ripped is Christion Jones, staff expect him to earn a starting spot as a WR and be a high impact guy, he is up to 215 all muscle

The 2 guys players are raving about so far since yesterday like I mentioned is Belue and Dillon Lee (MSed it yesterday). D players and coaches are raving especially about Lee saying he seems to have a better grasp of the D than we saw with DePreist or Moseley, I'll give you this quote from a pay site from Nico

Johnson is already impressed with early enrollee Dillon Lee’s ability to pick up the defense. “When C.J. (Mosley) came in he caught on to it fast. When Trey (DePriest) came in he caught on to it faster that C.J. Dillon is catching on faster than any of them.”

Also I mentioned Belue, and Saban heaped praise onto him at the presser which wasn't surprising, like I told you lol Saban has his new favorite in the secondary, but in all honesty Belue is gonna be a great player.
« Last Edit: March 10, 2012, 08:22:27 AM by Toxik76 » Logged
2Stater
President Denny

E-Cred: 7921

Male

2Stater

Kazowie!

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 10, 2012, 08:53:16 AM »

Good morning

Also a little note on an underclassman at Bama's Pro Day. Scouts were al floored by this, but almost every school will have 1 or 2 underclassmen just do a preliminary WO, run and lift to get scouts interested for next year, one was Jesse Williams this year, his measurements were right over 6'3, taller than the avg DL in this years draft, weight was 328, again bigger and larger than what he played at (played at 310 15 range, bulking up for NG) then he mined up and ran his 40 twice, a scout I talked to clicked his 1st time at 4.81 and his 2nd at 4.74, shocked everyone in attendance, then he got to lift and in front of a huge crowd and Cochran pumping him up he benches the 225 (combine weight) 54 times no lie that's 10 reps better than the all time record, I got asked several times and I quote "Why the HELL isn't he coming out? If he ran and lifted like that at the combine, he would be Bama's 6th 1st rd pick" My reply? "Too much Bama in him still, gotta come back and help win another 'Ship" Mayock told me he could easily be a top 5 pick next year as a Haloti Ngata clone, and he is gonna go watch all the tape he can get because he knows he will be a MAJOR prospect teams will be fighting over next year, in fact the word got out so fast about him that Mike said some teams have changed draft plans to take a DL NEXT year hoping to get him. Also a few notes on some underrated guys coming out this year, Mayock told me he has been a HUGE fan of Menzie simply put because he was a starter among a group of superstars and he still stood out on film and is easily one of the better tacklers at his position this year, he knows the 40 time at Combine was slower than he thought, but he improved it, and he expects him to be drafted and push for a starting spot as a nickel/dime DB. Also raved about Brad Smelley who he compared favorably to Indy TE or former now I guess Dallas Clark as a smaller guy with great hands and athleticism, could def see him on a pass heavy offense as an option still as a blocker and said he thinks in the right offense could have a very productive NFL career.

Makes ya kinda proud, eh Kuiyam?
cbbama99
Coach Wallace Wade

E-Cred: 2889

Male

cbbama99

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 10, 2012, 09:03:05 AM »

Tox you are spoiling us with all this great info. Like ALTideUp, this makes me want to tackle the first Michigan fan I find. Great stuff!

"Fat, drunk, and stupid is no way to go through life, son."
Bandit
Senior

E-Cred: 2779

Bandit

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 10, 2012, 10:00:15 AM »

Tox - you have to give it to us in smaller doses, man. I just ran out my front door and pancaked a jogger.

The Crime Scene photo  Tinfoil Hat
KoKoPuf
Coach Xen Scott

E-Cred: 3504

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 10, 2012, 10:13:37 AM »

Great work, Tox! It looks like a fun spring!
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Next Game

vs.

Day: Saturday
Date: 8/31/2024
Time: TBD
TV: TBD
Radio: Fun 92.7
Tuscaloosa, AL

* Who's Online
  • Dot Guests: 481
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 0