Marshal Dillon Marshal Dillon
E-Cred: 3072
bamaphil bamaphil
E-Cred: 2962
Hannibal Lecter, MD Hannibal Lecter, MD
E-Cred: 2961

Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: I got a big scare last night  (Read 9675 times)
Jamos
Coach Gene Stallings

E-Cred: 5801

Male

Jamos

View Profile
« on: October 15, 2011, 09:44:01 AM »

My grandson was playing on his high schools kick off team last night and a defender hit him with a crack-back block wich flipped him high in the air. He went high in the air and landed head first. He was transported to the hospital and I was there pretty late but the test came back negative on the scan. He has some pain in his right knee and was still had a headache whenb they released him at the hospital. He will have further tests this coming week.

I was amazed at the people that came to the hospital to check on his status after the game. The referee that saw the play and threw the penalty flag came to the hospital as well and told us that he saw him come down awkward on the play. He said he had to follow the play until it ended but kept looking back at him with concern.

We all take a lot for granted as we watch these young men play the sport, as most of us played football, but as we wish for someone to really hit the opposing player hard, you never know what the consequences might be after the play is over. After my grandson gets over his soreness though, he will be right back out there trying to make another tackle and he wouldn't have it any other way.

“There were no arguments, those are called ass-chewings,” . Coach Nick Saban
#1Crimson
Senior

E-Cred: 59

#1Crimson

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2011, 09:55:09 AM »

hope he recovers well and soon
BAMAWV
Coach Nick Saban

E-Cred: 2454

BAMAWV

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2011, 09:55:20 AM »

Great story? I don't really know how to respond other than it sounds like everything turned out alright. I'm not a fan of these guys that hope others get hurt-- even if you say "not career ending or anything". The object of Bama's "D" hitting as hard as they do is not to put a guy in the hospital-- but to make them remember, on the next play, what is gonna happen.

If my standards are not high enough, kindly lower yours.
BAMAWV
Coach Nick Saban

BAMAWV

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 15, 2011, 10:03:47 AM »

Great story? I don't really know how to respond other than it sounds like everything turned out alright. I'm not a fan of these guys that hope others get hurt-- even if you say "not career ending or anything". The object of Bama's "D" hitting as hard as they do is not to put a guy in the hospital-- but to make them remember, on the next play, what is gonna happen.
Also the ones that add, "It's football or football's rough". This is the UGLY side of a sport we all love.

hscoach
Coach Xen Scott

E-Cred: 2824

hscoach

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 15, 2011, 10:06:48 AM »

Glad he his fine and can get back out there soon.
cbbama99
Coach Wallace Wade

E-Cred: 2889

Male

cbbama99

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 15, 2011, 10:23:59 AM »

Wow, I can't imagine what that must have been like to have to watch that happen, Jamos. Glad to hear he is OK.

"Fat, drunk, and stupid is no way to go through life, son."
SUPERCOACH
Coach Bear Bryant

E-Cred: 5654

Male

SUPERCOACH

"Let's go."

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 15, 2011, 10:40:13 AM »

I am glad he is going to be OK Jamos.

I struggle with whether or not I am going to let my son even play.  I love the game, but I have a new perspective now.  I was never concerned for my own safety when I played, but it is different now.  Right now I am leaning toward holding him out until high school and then letting him decide for himself.  The problem with that is that he will be way behind the other guys on basic fundamental techniques if he doesn't play at all until then.  I still am not sure what the best approach is.  He is only 4 right now.  He can't even play pee wee for a couple more years, so I have time to think about it

"The same thing win, that always won... and we just have a different bunch of excuses if we lose"
cbbama99
Coach Wallace Wade

Male

cbbama99

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 15, 2011, 10:43:57 AM »

I am glad he is going to be OK Jamos.

I struggle with whether or not I am going to let my son even play.  I love the game, but I have a new perspective now.  I was never concerned for my own safety when I played, but it is different now.  Right now I am leaning toward holding him out until high school and then letting him decide for himself.  The problem with that is that he will be way behind the other guys on basic fundamental techniques if he doesn't play at all until then.  I still am not sure what the best approach is.  He is only 4 right now.  He can't even play pee wee for a couple more years, so I have time to think about it

I'm in the same boat, SC. My son is 4 as well, and I also struggle with this. We have let him try t-ball and (this was NOT my decision) soccer and he seemed to show little interest in either. I probably will let he try pee wee when he gets big enough, and if he likes it, I will let him continue as long as he wants. Of course, we fathers will never stop worrying about them out on the field.

BAMAWV
Coach Nick Saban

BAMAWV

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 15, 2011, 10:50:03 AM »

You're the parents and what you say goes, but it's probably the boy's decision. Age old struggle of how you'll feel if somnething goes bad and you could have stopped it, but did not. If it was up to parents, we wouldn't be able to field a military.

:Prayer:

SUPERCOACH
Coach Bear Bryant

Male

SUPERCOACH

"Let's go."

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 15, 2011, 10:52:29 AM »

My son is playing soccer right now too.  In fact I am the coach for both of the teams that my kids play on.  Some of our boys soccer games get pretty rough.  I thought there was going to be a fist fight the other night between some of them.  I am watching him close to see how he does when some of those kids start pushing and grabbing him, or even just innocently bumping into him and knocking him down.

"The same thing win, that always won... and we just have a different bunch of excuses if we lose"
cbbama99
Coach Wallace Wade

Male

cbbama99

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 15, 2011, 10:56:13 AM »

My son is playing soccer right now too.  In fact I am the coach for both of the teams that my kids play on.  Some of our boys soccer games get pretty rough.  I thought there was going to be a fist fight the other night between some of them.  I am watching him close to see how he does when some of those kids start pushing and grabbing him, or even just innocently bumping into him and knocking him down.

At least they were doing something. My son stood in the middle of the field all last fall and watched a mob of other kids chasing the ball. I don't think soccer is going to be his calling in life.  Tongue

SUPERCOACH
Coach Bear Bryant

Male

SUPERCOACH

"Let's go."

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 15, 2011, 10:57:52 AM »

You're the parents and what you say goes, but it's probably the boy's decision. Age old struggle of how you'll feel if somnething goes bad and you could have stopped it, but did not. If it was up to parents, we wouldn't be able to field a military.

:Prayer:

It is definitely his decision, but not at 4 obviously.  By 10th grade, yes.  But at what point does it become his decision?  That I don't know.  I might let him try pee wee.  He definitely wants to play.  I told you I struggled with this.  Cheesy

CrimsonCrusader
Junior

E-Cred: 65

Male

CrimsonCrusader

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 15, 2011, 11:04:21 AM »

Hope everything i sgood. Pray
Jamos
Coach Gene Stallings

E-Cred: 5801

Male

Jamos

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 15, 2011, 11:23:01 AM »

Thanks to all of you for your thoughts and prayers. It is much different sitting and watching the contact versus when I played. I will be curious to see how my grandson reacts to this, his main sport is soccer and he has a chance to earn a scholarship in it, Furman and North Carolina has talked to him already.

“There were no arguments, those are called ass-chewings,” . Coach Nick Saban
Hannibal Lecter, MD
Coach Wallace Wade

E-Cred: 2961

Hannibal Lecter, MD

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 15, 2011, 11:24:09 AM »

Glad it didn't turn out to be too serious, Jamos.  Here's hoping for a speedy recovery!
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Next Game

vs.

Day: Saturday
Date: 8/31/2024
Time: TBD
TV: TBD
Radio: Fun 92.7
Tuscaloosa, AL

* Who's Online
  • Dot Guests: 865
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 0