Marshal Dillon Marshal Dillon
E-Cred: 3072
bamaphil bamaphil
E-Cred: 2962
Hannibal Lecter, MD Hannibal Lecter, MD
E-Cred: 2961

Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Rule changes proposal could slow down HUNH, make targeting foul consistant  (Read 12731 times)
2Stater
President Denny

E-Cred: 7921

Male

2Stater

Kazowie!

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: February 14, 2014, 08:58:04 AM »

Well, what we were all probably thinking is true.

"Nick Saban voiced support of rule (and Bielema)"
Click here for link

NEW YORK -- Alabama coach Nick Saban and Arkansas coach Bret Bielema voiced their concerns about the effects of up-tempo, no-huddle offenses on player safety to the NCAA committee that passed a proposal to slow down those attacks.

Neither Saban nor Bielema were on the committee and they did not vote on the proposal passed Wednesday to allow defenses time to substitute between plays by prohibiting offenses from snapping the ball until 29 seconds are left on the 40-second play clock.NCAA coordinator of officials Rogers Redding said Thursday that Bielema was at the meeting in Indianapolis as a representative of the American Football Coaches Association.

"Coach Saban asked for the opportunity to meet with the committee and talk about this," Redding said. "It's not routine, but it's not unique, either."
Chechem
President Denny

E-Cred: 7228

Chechem

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 14, 2014, 12:11:39 PM »

The proposal must be approved by the playing rules oversight panel, which meets March 6. Redding said it's not a rubber stamp panel, but more often than not it approves proposals. The panel does not consider competitive issues, Redding said.
"Their role is to examine rules on the basis of player safety, economic impact and image of the game," he said.

Right now the proposal is in what is known as a comment period. Coaches can electronically submit their opinions to the NCAA on the proposal, supporting it or opposing it.

roll tide roll
Grad Student

E-Cred: 1332

roll tide roll

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 15, 2014, 04:16:24 PM »

The fixing of the targeting rule is good.

Anything that limits a team's ability to operate their offense is junk.
« Last Edit: February 15, 2014, 04:21:20 PM by roll tide roll » Logged
Jamos
Coach Gene Stallings

E-Cred: 5801

Male

Jamos

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 15, 2014, 04:38:20 PM »

Anything that limits a team's ability to operate their defense is junk.

“There were no arguments, those are called ass-chewings,” . Coach Nick Saban
2Stater
President Denny

Male

2Stater

Kazowie!

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 15, 2014, 04:46:28 PM »

I agree. As pmull pointed out earlier, in any other sport, both sides have the ability to be set, so that it's a level playing field.
roll tide roll
Grad Student

roll tide roll

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 15, 2014, 04:50:03 PM »

I agree. As pmull pointed out earlier, in any other sport, both sides have the ability to be set, so that it's a level playing field.

The sport of basketball would disagree.
cbbama99
Coach Wallace Wade

E-Cred: 2889

Male

cbbama99

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 15, 2014, 04:56:53 PM »

In what way, just out of curiosity?

"Fat, drunk, and stupid is no way to go through life, son."
pmull
Coach Nick Saban

E-Cred: 6109

Male

pmull

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 15, 2014, 05:19:44 PM »

Basketball is a continuous game. There is no whistle after a made basket. However, after a whistle the ref will not put the ball back in play until both teams are ready.
« Last Edit: February 15, 2014, 05:22:36 PM by pmull » Logged
roll tide roll
Grad Student

roll tide roll

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 15, 2014, 05:27:13 PM »

Basketball is a continuous game. There is no whistle after a made basket. However, after a whistle the ref will not put the ball back in play until most teams are ready.

I am aware of how the game of basketball is played.  I just witnessed BAMA losing to the worst team in the SEC.

Whistle, or no whistle, "any other sport" does not allow both sides the ability to be set before play resumes/begins.

If you play assignment football and cover your assignment it does not matter  if the opposition is running a HUNH, run and shoot, or any other scheme.
pmull
Coach Nick Saban

Male

pmull

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 15, 2014, 05:35:30 PM »

Basketball is a continuous game. There is no whistle after a made basket. However, after a whistle the ref will not put the ball back in play until most teams are ready.

I am aware of how the game of basketball is played.  I just witnessed BAMA losing to the worst team in the SEC.

Whistle, or no whistle, "any other sport" does not allow both sides the ability to be set before play resumes/begins.

If you play assignment football and cover your assignment it does not matter  if the opposition is running a HUNH, run and shoot, or any other scheme.

Name one sport that allows a team to "hurry up" after a stoppage in play in an attempt to catch the other team out of position.
roll tide roll
Grad Student

roll tide roll

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: February 15, 2014, 05:46:22 PM »

Name one sport that allows a team to "hurry up" after a stoppage in play in an attempt to catch the other team out of position.

I already did.

Basketball.

Ask Larry Bird about it.
pmull
Coach Nick Saban

Male

pmull

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: February 15, 2014, 05:48:36 PM »

I already did.

Basketball.

Ask Larry Bird about it.

Maybe you should call Larry because I don't think you know what you are talking about.
roll tide roll
Grad Student

roll tide roll

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: February 15, 2014, 06:08:28 PM »

Maybe you should call Larry because I don't think you know what you are talking about.

Says the guy who thinks Grant is doing a bang up job.

Firstly, comparing basketball, and most certainly baseball, to football is like comparing apples to cats.

Just b/c you do not like my answers does not make me incorrect.

Call Peyton Manning and ask him about HUNH in football, and from the pro set no less.

You are going to honestly claim that referees hold balls for extended periods of time in basketball games to prevent the offensive team from a quick inbound pass?

With a few exceptions, the only time a referee holds the ball in a basketball game until both teams are completely set is on the opening tip.

How about soccer?  How about rugby?  How about volleyball?

Those are all sports, in addition to basketball, where the offensive team is generally allowed to move without the readiness of the defense being an issue.

You wanted sports, right?

Should a rule also be put in place that limits the number of running backs, or receivers, on the field in the event that the defense does not have enough serviceable secondary players, or linebackers, to adequately cover the offensive players in that particular offensive package?
Jamos
Coach Gene Stallings

E-Cred: 5801

Male

Jamos

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: February 15, 2014, 06:23:43 PM »

Firstly, comparing basketball, and most certainly baseball, to football is like comparing apples to cats.

Call Peyton Manning and ask him about HUNH in football, and from the pro set no less.

You are going to honestly claim that referees hold balls for extended periods of time in basketball games to prevent the offensive team from a quick inbound pass?

With a few exceptions, the only time a referee holds the ball in a basketball game until both teams are completely set is on the opening tip.

Those are all sports, in addition to basketball, where the offensive team is generally allowed to move without the readiness of the defense being an issue.

Should a rule also be put in place that limits the number of running backs, or receivers, on the field in the event that the defense does not have enough serviceable secondary players, or linebackers, to adequately cover the offensive players in that particular offensive package?

Like the other poster stated, you have no clue as to what you are talking about.

“There were no arguments, those are called ass-chewings,” . Coach Nick Saban
2Stater
President Denny

Male

2Stater

Kazowie!

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: February 15, 2014, 06:24:44 PM »

You are overlooking the main point. In all other sports, teams are able to substitute, and in doing so, the officials keep the ball out of play until the substitution is complete.
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Next Game

vs.

Day: Saturday
Date: 8/31/2024
Time: TBD
TV: TBD
Radio: Fun 92.7
Tuscaloosa, AL

* Who's Online
  • Dot Guests: 956
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 0

There aren't any users online.

* Recent Posts
Re: ***CRIMSON RED DAILY THREAD*** by N.AL-Tider
[Today at 08:09:00 AM]

Re: ***CRIMSON RED DAILY THREAD*** by ricky023
[Today at 07:29:28 AM]

Re: ***CRIMSON RED DAILY THREAD*** by 2Stater
[Yesterday at 01:35:05 PM]

[Yesterday at 12:53:36 PM]

Re: ***CRIMSON RED DAILY THREAD*** by N.AL-Tider
[Yesterday at 09:53:59 AM]

Re: Game time for WKU vs Bama by ricky023
[Yesterday at 08:26:40 AM]

Game time for WKU vs Bama by 2Stater
[Yesterday at 08:22:02 AM]

Re: ***CRIMSON RED DAILY THREAD*** by 2Stater
[Yesterday at 07:45:02 AM]

[Yesterday at 06:08:17 AM]

Re: Who will be Alabama football's toughest opponent on 2024 schedule? Ranking all 1 by ricky023
[May 14, 2024, 05:36:08 PM]

More

* New Members
  • Dot Wsimpson174 - 30 Apr
  • Dot tzadick - 14 Nov
  • Dot debtidefan - 11 Jan
  • Dot OneOfTheIV - 30 Jul
  • Dot mepboy - 02 Dec
  • Dot Crimsonchamp22 - 19 Oct
  • Dot CoachEidson88 - 05 Sep
  • Dot Rascal - 02 Jun
  • Dot mr mako - 12 Jan