Marshal Dillon Marshal Dillon
E-Cred: 3072
bamaphil bamaphil
E-Cred: 2962
Hannibal Lecter, MD Hannibal Lecter, MD
E-Cred: 2961

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Bama vs AU game notes:  (Read 8344 times)
hscoach
Coach Xen Scott

E-Cred: 2824

hscoach

View Profile
« on: November 27, 2011, 12:12:51 PM »

First, let me send congrats to the Bama players and coaches for their victory over AU.  I, like most fans think this is one of the sweetest victories each year.  Hopefully, it will be enough and the right people will see that there should be a rematch between Bama and LSU.

Offense:  The offense was simple, short passing game, take a couple of shots, and let TR run the ball.  It worked to perfection.  Bama gained 409 yards and TR had his best day ever rushing, 203 yards.  Not a lot to say on a methodical victory.
1.    It seemed the game plan was to utilize the TE’s and control the ball with the short passing game and wearing the AU D out.
2.   AU safeties first step was up to help with the running game.  Play action was utilized on the boot plays.
3.   On the true 2nd play of the game, remember there was a penalty the deep rec came open when the safety slipped.  AJ could have had a big play if he would have looked deep.
4.   BS had a great game blocking and catching the ball.
5.   The fumble for the TD was on AJ, he has to know he doesn’t have that much time tuck the ball and get what you can or throw it away.
6.   Most of the day the rec’s were open.
7.   The trick play worked to perfection.
8.   Rec pointed out the corner blitz and Bama did not take advantage.
9.   Bama wasted a time out because of a busted formation.
10.   Bama scoring TD drives were 89,36,80, and 90.

QB:    AJ played pretty well.  He took his early open read and hit them.  There were a couple of bad throw and one may have been on the rec, expecting him to be further outside.    The fumble for the TD has to be tucked or throw quickly in that situation. 

RB:  TR ran hard the whole day.  This was a game where he was hit hard and often.  His biggest run came in the second half when Bama needed it.  I truly believe he should win the Heisman.

REC:   TE/H-backs were a focus in the passing game.  Others caught the ball, but BS had 1/3 of the catches and many were for a first down or TD. 

OL:  They did well against a hard playing D.   They were consistently opening holes for 4+ yard gains. 

Defense:  This is where Bama excelled.  They had 4 three and outs and 1 4 and out.  They did all this playing pretty basic.
1.     If my count is correct Bama had 11 neg plays which include a int for a TD and a fumble recovery.
2.   The D gave up no points.
3.   The D line controlled the game.
4.   AU had 1 first down in the first half.  How you like GM now?
5.   Bama did get lucky on the option play.  The QB was inside and the RB would have gotten the corner.
6.   Bama wasted a TO here on D with the wrong personnel package.
7.   Nobody got the QB on the int and got a TD.
8.   I think CU scared the AU QB down one time for a sack.  This was 3rd and goal in the 4th quarter.
9.   Bama played good assignment football.  I know on one reverse AU lost 3 yards.

DL:  They controlled the game.  They did not allow the AU players to get to the 2nd level very often.  Not until the second half when they were playing a little safer.

LB:  They weren’t flashy but they made plays.  Most of the time the D linemen had the runners in the grasp and the LB’s were there to finish them off.

DB:  Played well.  No big play.  They also put points on the board. Actually, DK should have come up with an int.  VS came in and did a good job in place of MB.  Also, RL was in on a lot of tackles.

Penalties:  A few penalties.  The biggest one to me was the delay of the game when the center didn’t snap the ball in the red zone.

Special teams:   Gave up a TD on the kickoff return for the 2nd week in a row.  They didn’t get off blocks and I know, according to TV, #33 went the wrong way.  By the way,  I think #35 took his place the rest of the day.  The bad/short kick off was because of bad form again.  CM did a decent job punting and averaged 40 yards a punt and very little return, if any.

Please feel free to comment.

Good Luck and Roll Tide Roll
KoKoPuf
Coach Xen Scott

E-Cred: 3504

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2011, 12:33:47 PM »

Good job, Coach. DL did control the game. In fact Gary Danielson mentioned that he hadn't called DH's name because the DL was stopping the AU attack before it could get to the second level. JW was dominate all day long.  Special teams were awful but what else is new? AJ could have thrown all day against the AU defense. I was glad to see TR hit the big run to go over 200 yds, just wish it could have been a TD to finish his day. DM showed some serious speed on the int td.
McBaman
Coach Xen Scott

E-Cred: 1150

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2011, 12:57:17 PM »

2nd week in a row a kickoff returned for a TD.  What the F##K?!?  KO coverage has been a problem for 3 - 4 years now.  Something's gotta give here...like accountability...like a new special teams coach.  If this guy were working at GE under Jack Welch he's be a goner already.

Thanks Coach for your insightful comments all season long.
SUPERCOACH
Coach Bear Bryant

E-Cred: 5654

Male

SUPERCOACH

"Let's go."

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 27, 2011, 01:01:25 PM »

Thanks for the good notes coach.

8.   I think CU scared the AU QB down one time for a sack.  This was 3rd and goal in the 4th quarter.

I'm going to take credit for this one.  I bumped my TV and it knocked him down.  Laughing

"The same thing win, that always won... and we just have a different bunch of excuses if we lose"
Tustin
gilmer

E-Cred: 27

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 27, 2011, 01:12:47 PM »

very good update - just need to upgrade kickoffs - hopefully on the way with kid from GA. Applause E-Cred
carl childers
Grad Student

E-Cred: 349

Male

carl childers

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 27, 2011, 02:00:18 PM »

I noticed Moseley go down when he caught the wind of Upshaw. Smiley. I was very pleased with the discipline of the defense. The reverse worked to perfection 2 years ago but this time JH was playing his position perfectly to drop it for a loss. This game should have been a shutout, but I will definitely take the results!

Saban about the 2011 Alabama defense: "They are a hateful bunch..."
BAMAWV
Coach Nick Saban

E-Cred: 2454

BAMAWV

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 27, 2011, 02:07:02 PM »

Thanks hsc. Applause E-Cred This morning the woman asked what I was going to do without Bama football (for a while).  I told her HSC's game notes come out around 2. RTR

If my standards are not high enough, kindly lower yours.
pmull
Coach Nick Saban

E-Cred: 6109

Male

pmull

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 27, 2011, 02:29:55 PM »

Thanks hscoach. I enjoy your notes every week.

A couple of things I noticed.
1.We could throw the ball whenever we wanted to. We had good pass protection all day. We only threw the ball 5 times in the second half.
2. The barn had 44yds and 2 first downs after 3 quarters. The defense was awesome when the game was on the line. We substituted and let up a little in the 4th quarter but they never came close to scoring on the D.
3. The kicking game must be corrected.
4. Great call on the two point conversion. It fooled me too.

bama87
Coach E. B. Beaumont

E-Cred: 2132

Male

bama87

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 27, 2011, 03:09:10 PM »

If we could just work on kick coverage. It has been good up until recently. CF has been short all year but we haven't given up the big play until the last few games.

Offense had it its best game I thought. They did what ever they wanted throw/run. Thank you for the play action. It sucked the LBs/safety up.

What more can be said about our D.
Jamos
Coach Gene Stallings

E-Cred: 5801

Male

Jamos

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 27, 2011, 03:21:44 PM »

2nd week in a row a kickoff returned for a TD.  What the F##K?!?  KO coverage has been a problem for 3 - 4 years now.  Something's gotta give here...like accountability...like a new special teams coach.  If this guy were working at GE under Jack Welch he's be a goner already.

While we're waiting on a kicker, maybe Bama can get some players that will run the correct routes on the kickoffs and punts and tackle the runner when they get to him.  Wink

“There were no arguments, those are called ass-chewings,” . Coach Nick Saban
2Stater
President Denny

E-Cred: 7921

Male

2Stater

Kazowie!

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 27, 2011, 03:33:33 PM »

While we're waiting on a kicker, maybe Bama can get some players that will run the correct routes on the kickoffs and punts and tackle the runner when they get to him.  Wink

I wonder if there is another player on the team that could kick the ball, say 80 yds, that nobody knows about, J?  Thinking
Jamos
Coach Gene Stallings

E-Cred: 5801

Male

Jamos

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 27, 2011, 03:47:07 PM »

I wonder if there is another player on the team that could kick the ball, say 80 yds, that nobody knows about, J?  Thinking

I've been told there is one on the team that can. I went to one of the staffers on the team and asked him if he could, in very casual way, mention it to the coach that is in charge of the special teams. You would have thought that I had thrown a rattlesnake on him and his answer was, "I am not a coach".  This season is about over, maybe I will get a chance at a REC meeting to rub elbows with someone there, we don't have another meeting until after the BCSNCG.

“There were no arguments, those are called ass-chewings,” . Coach Nick Saban
2Stater
President Denny

E-Cred: 7921

Male

2Stater

Kazowie!

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 27, 2011, 03:50:21 PM »

I've been told there is one on the team that can. I went to one of the staffers on the team and asked him if he could, in very casual way, mention it to the coach that is in charge of the special teams. You would have thought that I had thrown a rattlesnake on him and his answer was, "I am not a coach".  This season is about over, maybe I will get a chance at a REC meeting to rub elbows with someone there, we don't have another meeting until after the BCSNCG.

Laughing
ricky023
President Denny

E-Cred: 5062

Male

ricky023

To Be One Ask One

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 27, 2011, 04:35:30 PM »

Hey hscoach when do you expect to see a kicking game improvement, if ever? I think we need a change in coaching at this position. RTR!

John 15:5
"The Preacher"
"Rangers Lead the Way"
1/75th Rangers
hscoach
Coach Xen Scott

E-Cred: 2824

hscoach

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 27, 2011, 08:06:39 PM »

Hey hscoach when do you expect to see a kicking game improvement, if ever? I think we need a change in coaching at this position. RTR!

I really don't know.  I can't understand why in the beginning of the year the cover team did a great job.  Now all of a sudden they can make a tackle.  Early, and I mentioned this in old game notes, you always saw #33, #3, #6, and #91 around the ball on the kick cover team.  What has changed?
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Next Game

vs.

Day: Saturday
Date: 8/31/2024
Time: TBD
TV: TBD
Radio: Fun 92.7
Tuscaloosa, AL

* Who's Online
  • Dot Guests: 870
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 0