Marshal Dillon Marshal Dillon
E-Cred: 3072
bamaphil bamaphil
E-Cred: 2962
Hannibal Lecter, MD Hannibal Lecter, MD
E-Cred: 2961

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Ark vs Bama game notes:  (Read 7905 times)
hscoach
Coach Xen Scott

E-Cred: 2824

hscoach

View Profile
« on: September 25, 2011, 12:52:32 PM »

Again, first let me say congrats to the players and coaches on the victory and a great game plan.

Offense:  In my opinion, this was the best the O has looked.  They had very few negative plays.  Also, they had big play, some of which were TD’s.  I think you can see how vanilla the O has been the past few games and the potential for more diversity.  There are still areas for improvement, getting the ball in the end zone inside the 1, but I like the improvement I saw yesterday. Bama had been effective running the ball on the edge why not goes here when on the goal line?   Bama ran the ball to the left and the right effectively.  I would love to see the Bama backs work more to open space and give the QB a better throwing lane when needing to check down.  The fake FG was run to perfection and game Ark something to think about on all punts and other possible FG’s.  One other thing that bothered me was Bama’s O was not ready after Ark scored their 1st TD and took a penalty to start a drive.  I also think early in the game Ark was timing the snap count well.

QB:  AJ had a good game.  He connected on 75% of his passes.  Of the 5 incompletes 3 were on deep balls.  This is an area where he needs to improve.  There we a couple of balls that should have been int’s but the Ark. D players missed.  One turned into a 61 yard TD for TR.  Also, I think, early on, he missed a couple of check downs.   He averaged over 13 yards per competitions.

RB:  Both running backs ran hard and well.  TR looked like the TR of old.  He got yards after contact as well as made people miss.  They also caught the ball and blocked well. 

REC:  The recs did a pretty good job.  Again it is hard to see routes on TV.  They were seen blocking downfield on the running plays.  KB was short by about a yard on a 3rd down throw that would have kept the drive going if he had been deeper. 

OL:  In my opinion, here was the most improvement on the offense.  They came off the ball very well.  There were very few plays where the RB’s were hit before they reached the LOS.    Also, AJ had time most of the day to get the ball downfield.  In the beginning Ark had 7 in the box and Bama ran effectively. At times there were 8 in the box and they still made positive yardage.    I will say #65 does a good job when he pulls.  What some people may not have noticed was when he stuck out his arm out to cut off the back side pursuit.  I think this was the 2nd play of the game.  That being said I do think he was the one who did not block down on the 3rd down goal line play which allowed the penetration.  This had to be done to cover for the pulling lineman. 

Defense:  This, in my opinion, was their best performance yet.  There were open field tackles, plays where they were supposed to be (assignment football), and some vicious hits.  It looks like this year there has been an emphasis placed on tackling.  However, it looks as if they don’t just want to tackle they want to hurt you when they tackle.   The D held, Ark to 244 yards of total offense.  According to who you ask, some had them averaging 517 yards per game I calculated it at 492 yards per game, Bama held them about 248/273 yards under their average.  The QB started out 11/12or 13 and ended up 11 for 23 with 1 int.  The average for completion was 8.4 yards for the starter.  I had the D for 11 pressures vs 10 for the TV guys and I had the QB hit9 times and the TV had 9.  Their biggest play was a 39 yard completion where someone didn’t get out on the back this went for a TD last year.  For you old folks, like me, if you had been watching when Coach Bear Bryant was doing his Sunday replay show, with his Golden Flakes, you would have heard, “Bingo that was a goodie” several times.  One last comment here, I hope everyone understands how complex Bama’s D is and how the coaches must be in tune during the game to get the proper packages into the game.

DL:  The D line had a good game.  They did not allow Ark to run the ball effectively and still put pressure on the QB.  They created several negative plays which put the O in long down and distance situations. 

LB:  The LB had a great game as they were ask to stop the run, cover the defenders and blitz the passer at times.  The only problem I saw was when CJM got hurt and NJ had to play on passing downs there seem to be a little confusion of where to line up.  I think DH had his best game of the year.  Also, did you notice on the int CU went looking for the QB on the return?  He actually passed one player up to get to him. 

DB:  This is the type of game I expected from the DB the entire year.  This was the best group of rec’s they have faced and they met the challenge.  No real deep balls were completed and they came up and made the plays on the short throws.  DK is really emerging as hitter.  I don’t know if you noticed, but on the TD, DK slipped when breaking up to the rec which allowed him to get into the end zone.  Also, on the completion for the TD in the second half that was just an outstanding catch by the rec.  Again, this was the best coverage as a unit that I have seen in a long time.

Special teams:  Again great job by MM and the punt return team.   Not only did the return impress me, but the amount of blockers who stayed with him into the end zone was impressive.  MM saved Bama valuable yardage by making the fair catch when needed.   I did watch #3 on the punt return and he looks like he is searching for someone to ear hole every time.  The punt coverage was very good and no big return was given up.   This was the worst field position given up by the kick off cover team and it still was not too bad.  I would like to see the ball kicked deeper. 

Penalties:  This is the first time Bama has had more penalties than the opponents.  The problem was 2 were for 30 yards.  Both could have been border line, but they were called. 

Please feel free to comment.

Good Luck and Roll Tide Roll
BAMADCHAMPSHIPS
Coach E. B. Beaumont

E-Cred: 3378

Male

BAMADCHAMPSHIPS

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2011, 01:07:02 PM »

Good stuff hscoach. Thanks.
SUPERCOACH
Coach Bear Bryant

E-Cred: 5654

Male

SUPERCOACH

"Let's go."

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2011, 01:27:37 PM »

Great notes again coach.  I was at a pee wee football game yesterday afternoon and I still have not had a chance to watch the game, but I am about to turn it on.  I may have some questions or comments later after I watch.

"The same thing win, that always won... and we just have a different bunch of excuses if we lose"
SUPERCOACH
Coach Bear Bryant

Male

SUPERCOACH

"Let's go."

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 25, 2011, 01:29:44 PM »

Also, did you notice on the int CU went looking for the QB on the return?  He actually passed one player up to get to him.

Opposing QBs will see that in the film room and make a little mental note in the back of their mind.  This could come into play down the road.

"The same thing win, that always won... and we just have a different bunch of excuses if we lose"
hscoach
Coach Xen Scott

hscoach

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 25, 2011, 01:40:05 PM »

That is the first perosn we tell DL to find on the int's.
crtuneman
Grad Student

E-Cred: 105

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 25, 2011, 01:46:28 PM »

The TD play to Dennis Johnson was a pick play where teh rec blocked Dre while the ball was  in the air. I know that doesn't get called much, but that really wasn't Dre's fault. Just good execution by Arky. The one negative I see for the offense was the lack of 3rd down conversions. 5-13 ain't gonna cut it against LSU or Florida. But overall the Offense, esp the OL, had a very good game. As always, no turnovers usually equals a win.
hscoach
Coach Xen Scott

hscoach

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 25, 2011, 01:56:14 PM »

The TD play to Dennis Johnson was a pick play where teh rec blocked Dre while the ball was  in the air. I know that doesn't get called much, but that really wasn't Dre's fault. Just good execution by Arky. The one negative I see for the offense was the lack of 3rd down conversions. 5-13 ain't gonna cut it against LSU or Florida. But overall the Offense, esp the OL, had a very good game. As always, no turnovers usually equals a win.

I notice a few pick plays hoping to get their playmakers free underneath.  Actually on the 39 yard reception the rec released inside and picked the lb from getting outside to cover the route.
Chechem
President Denny

E-Cred: 7228

Chechem

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 25, 2011, 02:03:11 PM »

The TD play to Dennis Johnson was a pick play where teh rec blocked Dre while the ball was  in the air. I know that doesn't get called much, but that really wasn't Dre's fault. Just good execution by Arky. The one negative I see for the offense was the lack of 3rd down conversions. 5-13 ain't gonna cut it against LSU or Florida. But overall the Offense, esp the OL, had a very good game. As always, no turnovers usually equals a win.

I notice a few pick plays hoping to get their playmakers free underneath.  Actually on the 39 yard reception the rec released inside and picked the lb from getting outside to cover the route.

True, and as you said (HSCoach), Dre slipped.  I noticed at least twice that our players slipped at inopportune times.  I was surprised to see that on our home field.

Thanks for the posts, HSC.

SUPERCOACH
Coach Bear Bryant

Male

SUPERCOACH

"Let's go."

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 25, 2011, 02:16:45 PM »

I am watching the game right now.  I must say Dre almost killed a man at the 10 yard line on the play right before they scored their first touchdown.  WOW!!!

SUPERCOACH
Coach Bear Bryant

Male

SUPERCOACH

"Let's go."

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 25, 2011, 02:19:06 PM »

Games where the D hits like that will put just a little bit of indecision and hesitation in the upcoming opponents since they will have those hits filed away in the back of their minds.  Watch for it to play out over the season.

ricky023
President Denny

E-Cred: 5062

Male

ricky023

To Be One Ask One

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 25, 2011, 02:32:51 PM »

Applause E-Cred, hscoach thanks for your work. you are appreciated and like having you onboard, also how did the recruits take the game?
My greatest 2 feelings of the game, We Win, and I hope we don't have VERN and Danelson next week.  RTR!

John 15:5
"The Preacher"
"Rangers Lead the Way"
1/75th Rangers
Coach Hank Crisp
Coach Frank Thomas

E-Cred: 983

Coach Hank Crisp

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 25, 2011, 02:58:04 PM »

I thought that Alabama over all played the best game since the SEC CG in 2009.

SUPERCOACH
Coach Bear Bryant

Male

SUPERCOACH

"Let's go."

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 25, 2011, 03:00:37 PM »

I just watched their goal line stand.  We have to be able to punch it in there, but it is not as bad as I had imagined.  I paused it on 1st down and there is no doubt that AJ got in.  The ball only has to cross the front edge of the white line, and the center of the ball was actually over the center of the white line.  And the 3rd down play was a missed assignment, as hscoach already mentioned.

BAMADCHAMPSHIPS
Coach E. B. Beaumont

E-Cred: 3378

Male

BAMADCHAMPSHIPS

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 25, 2011, 04:14:43 PM »

I thought that Alabama over all played the best game since the SEC CG in 2009.

I don't know the bowl game last year was a pretty impressive game.
XBAMA
Coach Wallace Wade

E-Cred: 4632

Male

XBAMA

Roll Tide

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: September 25, 2011, 04:45:51 PM »

Applause E-Cred, hscoach thanks for your work. you are appreciated and like having you onboard, also how did the recruits take the game?
My greatest 2 feelings of the game, We Win, and I hope we don't have VERN and Danelson next week.  RTR!

freat breakdown coach and Thanks ! 

speaking of recruits Ricky ... I found this while reading on hogville about the game ...

Game Day Atmosphere
« on: Today at 03:14:16 PM »
Went to the auburn game last year and the Alabama game yesterday. Personally I think the difference is atmosphere.

Let me preface this by saying I don't nor ever will think that we are poor lil ole arkiesaw. However, I do think that we as fans have got to do a better job to help out.

At both of the these games I attended the fans cheers and cohesiveness actually sent chills down my spine. They're not just loud they are impressive. We need to have that. When Alabama had us down by 24 points they were just as loud as when the game was tied.

Obviously winning, great coach and great facilities will all influence a recruit, but if I was being recruited and walked into that stadium at Alabama yesterday it would have been a easy decision (well not for me because I would have played for the hogs with out even being asked).

I don't know how to solve this problem, but I think we are headed in the right direction. The fact that the 9/11 memorial worked was impressive, and our fans have been louder this year than I've ever seen them. We just need to keep it up! One loss should not deflate our mentality that we belong! We do and we are on our way....Rome wasn't built in a day!

Also, the in game commercials have go to go! I know it's nothing any of us can control but some how some way they absolutely must go!!!

GO HOGS!!!!

God And Guns got us here and God and Guns will keep us here
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Next Game

vs.

Day: Saturday
Date: 8/31/2024
Time: TBD
TV: TBD
Radio: Fun 92.7
Tuscaloosa, AL

* Who's Online
  • Dot Guests: 511
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 1