Marshal Dillon Marshal Dillon
E-Cred: 3072
bamaphil bamaphil
E-Cred: 2962
Hannibal Lecter, MD Hannibal Lecter, MD
E-Cred: 2961

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: SEC: The Monday "Three and Out"  (Read 1283 times)
Coach Hank Crisp
Coach Frank Thomas

E-Cred: 983

Coach Hank Crisp

View Profile
« on: October 17, 2011, 08:04:04 AM »

Click here for link

Here’s what caught my eye.

--- If You Are An Alabama Fan (Richardson And A Cloud of Dust)
LSU has a vaunted defense. They are littered with future NFL draft picks, and might be the only team (other than your favorite) that can solely rely on its defense to win a National Championship. But, Tennessee exposed a chink in that armor on Saturday, a small deficiency that can perhaps be exploited by one of Alabama’s strengths.

The Volunteers ran the ball well, netting 111 yards on the ground against LSU. Tauren Poole had some individual success, running for 70 yards a touchdown.

Again, not a Heisman caliber performance, but Tennessee’s running game isn’t nearly as good as Alabama’s.  As a matter of fact, the Vols are the league’s worst rushing offense, gaining only 84 yards on the ground per game.

Alabama is the SEC’s best, gashing teams for over 215 yards per game. Trent Richardson, who to me is the conference’s best shot at winning a Heisman Trophy, is on a roll, having run for over 100 yards in six straight games.

Alabama can run the rock with the best of them. After Tennessee’s success doing the same in a losing effort against LSU, Crimson Tide fans should see a possible opening for when these two squads meet in three weeks.

--- If You Are An LSU Fan (Score Early And Often)
I compared Alabama’s defense a few weeks back to video game team, and that comparison makes even more sense with the way they’ve played lately. In the Crimson Tide’s seven games this year, they have given up a total of 49 points. I wasn’t a math major, but I think that is a touchdown per game. Considering some of the offenses they’ve matched up with (Arkansas, Florida) that’s pretty impressive.

What makes Alabama’s defense special is their ability to adapt, making adjustments on the fly to what teams are trying to do to them. What that means is that they become harder to score against as the game goes on, wearing you down on both sides of the ball and capturing the win. This is an NFL type formula, and Nick Saban uses it in college better than anyone.

If they have shown any hole at all, it is that it takes a small amount of time before they become totally locked into what the other sideline is up to. In two of their four SEC games this year, the Crimson Tide gave up a touchdown on their opponent’s first possession. Against Arkansas, they gave up a score in the first quarter, as the Razorbacks were tied with Alabama after the opening stanza. Against Florida and Ole Miss, Saban’s squad gave up scores less than four plays into the game. Alabama’s defense is susceptible, well as susceptible as an all-time great defense can be, early in the ballgame.

This vibes well with LSU, as the Bayou Bengals play their best football while ahead. Other than against Oregon (the first game of the year), LSU had jumped out to leads against every other opponent. In critical matchups against West Virginia and Florida, LSU outscored both teams a combined 51-10 in the first half.

To the average fan, Alabama and LSU did everything they needed to Saturday. But, what we can learn from these wins is that each squad still has kinks to work out before they are completely ready to square off in Tuscaloosa in November.

Chechem
President Denny

E-Cred: 7228

Chechem

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2011, 08:30:28 AM »

Good job, Crisp.  Good story.

Most people agree that Alabama's offense will be able to run on LSU, at least by the 4th Q.

But that enthusiasm among Bama fans is countered by LSU's passing attack, which is more imaginative and features stronger athletes than Alabama's.  And their kicking game... (well, you know).

2Stater
President Denny

E-Cred: 7921

Male

2Stater

Kazowie!

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2011, 08:41:52 AM »

Most people agree that Alabama's offense will be able to run on LSU, at least by the 4th Q.

But that enthusiasm among Bama fans is countered by LSU's passing attack, which is more imaginative and features stronger athletes than Alabama's.  And their kicking game... (well, you know).

I've already talked to the coaching staff about removing the embedded golden horseshoe from the football on kickoffs.  Wink
Chechem
President Denny

E-Cred: 7228

Chechem

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2011, 08:46:50 AM »

I've already talked to the coaching staff about removing the embedded golden horseshoe from the football on kickoffs.  Wink

Laughing  ... and I know where they implanted it (again).

2Stater
President Denny

E-Cred: 7921

Male

2Stater

Kazowie!

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 17, 2011, 08:52:15 AM »

Laughing  ... and I know where they implanted it (again).

Laughing You got that right!
SUPERCOACH
Coach Bear Bryant

E-Cred: 5654

Male

SUPERCOACH

"Let's go."

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 17, 2011, 10:25:26 AM »

The team that can run the ball and stop the run will win.  Who does that sound like?  Cheesy

"The same thing win, that always won... and we just have a different bunch of excuses if we lose"
ricky023
President Denny

E-Cred: 5062

Male

ricky023

To Be One Ask One

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 17, 2011, 11:14:29 AM »

I agree that ball control and some of the trick plays they have will answer the game. RTR!

John 15:5
"The Preacher"
"Rangers Lead the Way"
1/75th Rangers
BAMAWV
Coach Nick Saban

E-Cred: 2454

BAMAWV

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 17, 2011, 07:16:49 PM »

The team that can run the ball and stop the run will win.  Who does that sound like?  Cheesy
I'm glad I cheer for the ball control, NFL defense guys.

If my standards are not high enough, kindly lower yours.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Next Game

vs.

Day: Saturday
Date: 8/31/2024
Time: TBD
TV: TBD
Radio: Fun 92.7
Tuscaloosa, AL

* Who's Online
  • Dot Guests: 906
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 0