Marshal Dillon Marshal Dillon
E-Cred: 3072
bamaphil bamaphil
E-Cred: 2962
Hannibal Lecter, MD Hannibal Lecter, MD
E-Cred: 2961

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Shaun Alexander on Alabama: 'This team has got something special'  (Read 6020 times)
Coach Hank Crisp
Coach Frank Thomas

E-Cred: 983

Coach Hank Crisp

View Profile
« on: September 27, 2011, 08:37:41 AM »

Click here for link

TUSCALOOSA, Ala. - He had just seen Trent Richardson run for 126 yards, and pick up a touchdown on a 61-yard screen play. He saw Richardson's backup Eddie Lacy chip in another 61 yards and a touchdown.

Shaun Alexander, former Alabama star and NFL running back with the Seattle Seahawks
The next day, he could see Mark Ingram score the decisive touchdown for the New Orleans Saints.

"You know, its hard to get a (great running back)," said the man in a corridor underneath the Bryant-Denny stands, fighting back a grin.

"Gosh, I run by Johnny Musso and Bobby Humphrey and they're like, 'Do you think they'll ever be another good one here?'

"Maybe," the man said, tongue planted even more deeply in cheek, "if we pray hard enough, something will happen."

Shaun Alexander, a former All-SEC and All-NFL great, one of the classiest guys in Alabama history. He was the man who was signing autographs and chatting up fans and one pesky reporter late Saturday afternoon in the shadows underneath Bryant-Denny Stadium.

The family tradition was deftly handled by Ingram, who won the Heisman Trophy in 2009, the year Alabama went on to its 13th national title.

It looks to be national championship caliber again.

"They're talented," Alexander said. "And we're talented (enough) to win the whole thing.

"That's how Alabama has been for many years. The tradition is back. We're strong. We're going to keep on recruiting great talent and keep on having great coaching. This team has got something special."

2Stater
President Denny

E-Cred: 7921

Male

2Stater

Kazowie!

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2011, 09:06:04 AM »

Shaun was a great running back for Bama and Seattle. Too bad the injury he had slowed him down that last year in Seattle. That and the OL stunk.
Coach Hank Crisp
Coach Frank Thomas

Coach Hank Crisp

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2011, 09:25:38 AM »

Shaun was a great running back for Bama and Seattle. Too bad the injury he had slowed him down that last year in Seattle. That and the OL stunk.

In the 1998 Iron Bowl, boogers jumped out to a 17-0 lead. Shaun had big play after big play to bring Bama back for the win. Anyone who has big games against the barn is a life long hero to me!

hscoach
Coach Xen Scott

E-Cred: 2824

hscoach

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 27, 2011, 10:43:07 AM »

Does anyone remember, what I call his coming out party in the game against LSU.   I think this is the correct game.
Coach Hank Crisp
Coach Frank Thomas

Coach Hank Crisp

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 27, 2011, 10:46:29 AM »

Does anyone remember, what I call his coming out party in the game against LSU.   I think this is the correct game.

Oh yeah, I think he had 3 TDs and all kind of yards. Stallings was having trouble finding him playing time behind the starters.

2Stater
President Denny

Male

2Stater

Kazowie!

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 27, 2011, 10:46:30 AM »

You are correct, Coach. He ran all over them that night. It was a great game to watch. I remember thinking "Who is this guy?"
hscoach
Coach Xen Scott

E-Cred: 2824

hscoach

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 27, 2011, 10:57:00 AM »

I think he had over 200 yards that night?
Hannibal Lecter, MD
Coach Wallace Wade

E-Cred: 2961

Hannibal Lecter, MD

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 27, 2011, 11:05:26 AM »

I think he had over 200 yards that night?

20 rushes, 291 yards, 4 TDs

1996 game against LSU.  Shaun was a mere freshman.

I also remember when he had 5 TDs against BYU to start the 1997 season.  We "unveiled" the east side upper deck that year to bump the capacity up to 83,818.  My how the place has grown.
pmull
Coach Nick Saban

E-Cred: 6109

Male

pmull

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 27, 2011, 11:09:29 AM »

He went off for about 290 yards that night. Stallings was still the coach. Even after that game he did not play much the rest of the year because Stallings said he was not picking up the blocking assignments. Shaun went on to have a great career at Bama and in the pros.

He made one of the most unselfish decisions I have ever seen when he returned to Alabama for his senior year. He was a sure fire 1st round pick. I remember him saying he was having the time of his life in Tusacloosa and he was not ready to move on. He will always be one of my favorite Bama players.

When Alabama's basketball team that reached the Elite 8 went to Settle in the Sweet 16 round to play overall # 1 Stanford Shaun meet the team at the airport and had the team over to his house. I think he was the MVP of the NFL at the time.
Jamos
Coach Gene Stallings

E-Cred: 5801

Male

Jamos

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 27, 2011, 12:21:01 PM »

Shaun was invited to play in Coach Stallings golf tournament for RISE when he was playing for Seattle. He was in New York doing some commercial work and his schedule was to fly on to Tuscaloosa for the golf event.

There was a terrible fog in New York City the night Shaun was to fly to Tuscaloosa and his agent called me late that evening before the tournament to let me know that Shaun may not make it because of the fog. She said he would do his best to find a flight out of there. At 7 a.m the next morning Shaun's agent called me again to say that he was up all night trying to get a flight out and it looked like he had finally got one into Birmingham. She said a limo would be waiting for him at the airport and he was going to try to make the 1:00 p.m tee time.

Shaun did make it but he was a little late to make the tee time and very tired but he asked me to take him to Coach Stallings. Coach Stallings always plays from a designated tee box and hits a shot for each team that plays. I took him over and he and Coach Stallings had the best time that afternoon meeting and greeting all of the participants. He meant so much to our success with the golf tournament.

He was a great player at Alabama but he was just as great of a person and I will never forget him.

“There were no arguments, those are called ass-chewings,” . Coach Nick Saban
2Stater
President Denny

Male

2Stater

Kazowie!

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 27, 2011, 12:32:46 PM »

Shaun was invited to play in Coach Stallings golf tournament for RISE when he was playing for Seattle. He was in New York doing some commercial work and his schedule was to fly on to Tuscaloosa for the golf event.

There was a terrible fog in New York City the night Shaun was to fly to Tuscaloosa and his agent called me late that evening before the tournament to let me know that Shaun may not make it because of the fog. She said he would do his best to find a flight out of there. At 7 a.m the next morning Shaun's agent called me again to say that he was up all night trying to get a flight out and it looked like he had finally got one into Birmingham. She said a limo would be waiting for him at the airport and he was going to try to make the 1:00 p.m tee time.

Shaun did make it but he was a little late to make the tee time and very tired but he asked me to take him to Coach Stallings. Coach Stallings always plays from a designated tee box and hits a shot for each team that plays. I took him over and he and Coach Stallings had the best time that afternoon meeting and greeting all of the participants. He meant so much to our success with the golf tournament.

He was a great player at Alabama but he was just as great of a person and I will never forget him.

Applause E-Cred Great story, J.
Coach Hank Crisp
Coach Frank Thomas

Coach Hank Crisp

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 27, 2011, 12:45:01 PM »

Applause E-Cred Great story, J.

Class act! 

SUPERCOACH
Coach Bear Bryant

E-Cred: 5654

Male

SUPERCOACH

"Let's go."

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 27, 2011, 03:39:36 PM »

Great story Jamos.  I put it on the front page and sent out a tweet.  Who knows, maybe Shaun will stop by and say hello some time.

"The same thing win, that always won... and we just have a different bunch of excuses if we lose"
Jamos
Coach Gene Stallings

E-Cred: 5801

Male

Jamos

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 27, 2011, 05:08:46 PM »

Great story Jamos.  I put it on the front page and sent out a tweet.  Who knows, maybe Shaun will stop by and say hello some time.

That would be great, he's just a nice person. There was also another Bama player that I got to know at the golf tournament, Siran Stacy. He and I had many laughs together at the tournament. He and Coach Jack (Gerald Jack) were big buddies and the three of us had many chances to share some of those "football days" stories. The year of Siran's wreck, he brought his wife and one of his daughters and we had a chance to talk for a while. I've never been so sadden as I was when I heard of the wreck. There is a beautiful story of Siran and one of his discipline issues when he played at Alabama, I'll have to share that with you sometime.

“There were no arguments, those are called ass-chewings,” . Coach Nick Saban
2Stater
President Denny

Male

2Stater

Kazowie!

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 27, 2011, 05:30:59 PM »

That would be great, he's just a nice person. There was also another Bama player that I got to know at the golf tournament, Siran Stacy. He and I had many laughs together at the tournament. He and Coach Jack (Gerald Jack) were big buddies and the three of us had many chances to share some of those "football days" stories. The year of Siran's wreck, he brought his wife and one of his daughters and we had a chance to talk for a while. I've never been so sadden as I was when I heard of the wreck. There is a beautiful story of Siran and one of his discipline issues when he played at Alabama, I'll have to share that with you sometime.

Please do. He has to have an amazing story about courage and I would guess faith, after such a devastating and tragic loss.

Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Next Game

vs.

Day: Saturday
Date: 8/31/2024
Time: TBD
TV: TBD
Radio: Fun 92.7
Tuscaloosa, AL

* Who's Online
  • Dot Guests: 585
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 0