Marshal Dillon Marshal Dillon
E-Cred: 3072
bamaphil bamaphil
E-Cred: 2962
Hannibal Lecter, MD Hannibal Lecter, MD
E-Cred: 2961

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Who's On The Hot Seat???  (Read 6598 times)
Jamos
Coach Gene Stallings

E-Cred: 5801

Male

Jamos

View Profile
« on: September 08, 2013, 08:48:18 AM »

We're only 2 games into the college football season and already there are loud rumblings of displeasure concerning the fate of some of the top coaches. In all reality, there was already some concern for a couple of them and another pacified his naysayers with a big win. There is one though that is skating on thin ice and it's just a mattter of time before the fans come after him.

There were two coaches though that really lit up the firing squad and they are Mack Brown and Lane Kiffin. Both has been on the hot seat for quite some time, as far as the fans are concerned, and the performances of their teams last night only poured some gas on the fire.

I have never figured out the love of the University of Texas for Mack Brown. He's only had one championship team since arriving there and with the size of Texas and the number of top quality athletes to recruit from, I have to question his coaching and staffing abilities. I can think of a few coaches that would have done a lot better there if given the chance.

Lane Kiffin is a bird of another feather though. He is young and cocky and doesn't mind ruffling a few feathers of others all for the sake of winning. I thought he would be a perfect fit at Southern Cal as they always seemed a liitle brash about their program and flaunted themselves as being the untouchables when it came to recruiting players. The cockiness and brashness seemed to be that perfect fit until the NCAA and their investigation came snooping around. The results of the investigation changed everything with their program and now the two of them are very average at the most. How long will this wedding last?

There is another coach at one of the major schols who seems to be paving a way for some big problems ahead and that is Will Muschamp. The loss to Miami yesterday follows a pattern of Muschamp losing to quality teams. Miami is a team that is rebuilding after going through a few years of turmoil with the NCAA but Florida hasn't had any problems other than they have been unable to coach up their recruits and win some big games. Florida State and Miami has put some huge pressure on Muschamp's career at Florida now and if he doesn't change some things in the near future and win some premium games, there will be some loud rumblings coming out of Gainsville and they can get loud down there.

Now to the good side of things. I think there was one coach who really helped himself yesterday, Mark Richt. There have been plenty of naysayers making a lot of loud noise at Georgia about Richts inability to win some big games when it counts most. The loss to Alabama in the SEC Championship last fall didn't help Richt's case at all. But yesterday, Richt and the Bulldogs did win a big game, They beat Spurrier and the highly touted Jadeveon Clowney and they beat them convincingly. This will give Richt a lot of forgiveness from the fan base and things should smooth out in Athens Ga.

There are some other coaches, Mississippi State's Mullen in particular, but I was more interested in the future of some of the top name schools in the country and these seemed to be the most interesting to me at this time. This is just my opinion and I'm sure all of you have your own as well. Wink

“There were no arguments, those are called ass-chewings,” . Coach Nick Saban
Chechem
President Denny

E-Cred: 7228

Chechem

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2013, 08:52:41 AM »

Well done, Jamos.

Obviously, Kiffin and Mack Brown.  But Mullen?  All he has to do is beat Ole Miss every other year.  That's all it takes for the Bullies to stay happy; they're cheap.

Jamos
Coach Gene Stallings

Male

Jamos

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2013, 09:04:58 AM »

Well done, Jamos.

Obviously, Kiffin and Mack Brown.  But Mullen?  All he has to do is beat Ole Miss every other year.  That's all it takes for the Bullies to stay happy; they're cheap.

Yeah, I know they are cheap but I think Ole Miss is setting themselves up to own State unless something gets better for them and I don't see that happening in the near future. State needs to beat Auburn or I think the cows will be mooing long and loud.

Catch Prothro
Coach Gene Stallings

E-Cred: 5215

Catch Prothro

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2013, 09:17:13 AM »

Nice job Jamos.  I agree that it might just be a matter of time for Muschamp, but probably not this year.

I think Bob Stoops will also make the hot seat, eventually, but not yet.  His teams consistently under perform these days -- last year Oklahoma lost badly to Notre Dame and Texas A&M with similar talent.  He also was outcoached by 73 year-old Bill Snyder with lesser talent.

On the other hand, Mack Brown and Kiffin could be gone this year.  Kiffin never has done much as a coach, and now he is a similar situation to Shula with scholarship reductions and high expectations. 

I don't agree about Mullen this year, mostly because of low expectations at Mississippi State.  But his best season was his first one at Mississippi State, when he inherited a team Sly Croom had situated for a run.  So yes, he hasn't improved their situation.  Mullen hasn't shown himself capable of competing long-term in the SEC.  So he eventually could hit the hot seat, especially with Hugh Freeze doing an excellent job at rival Ole Miss.  Often it is a rival's success that makes that seat start to burn.

ALTideUp
Coach E. B. Beaumont

E-Cred: 2045

ALTideUp

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 08, 2013, 09:19:15 AM »

Mike Lupica just now on the radio:

"The difference between Mack Brown and Lane Kiffin is that Mack Brown can coach. How Lane Kiffin can keep failing up [in his coaching career] is beyond me"

"When the going get's weird, the weird turn pro"

Hunter S. Thompson
SUPERCOACH
Coach Bear Bryant

E-Cred: 5654

Male

SUPERCOACH

"Let's go."

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 08, 2013, 11:57:30 AM »

Another front page write up J.

Applause E-Cred Applause E-Cred

"The same thing win, that always won... and we just have a different bunch of excuses if we lose"
bama87
Coach E. B. Beaumont

E-Cred: 2132

Male

bama87

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 08, 2013, 01:27:42 PM »

So if Brown is truly on the hot seat and resigns/fired where do they turn. Is Freeze the up and comer. Not sure he is the answer. What about Dykes at Cal. It won't be Mischamp. Trying to think of others. Is there someone from the NFL that could be the new UT coach.
ricky023
President Denny

E-Cred: 5062

Male

ricky023

To Be One Ask One

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 08, 2013, 02:35:47 PM »

Great job Jamos. I think Mack Brown started losing his flavor when the Texas QB COLT got hurt against us in Pasadena. I would not want to see Bobby coaching in the SEC or Big 12. I think he moves to USC if Lane can't hold his team together this year. I don't think Pat Haden likes him as much as he puts on anyway. JMHO. RTR!

John 15:5
"The Preacher"
"Rangers Lead the Way"
1/75th Rangers
cbbama99
Coach Wallace Wade

E-Cred: 2889

Male

cbbama99

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 08, 2013, 05:25:46 PM »

So if Brown is truly on the hot seat and resigns/fired where do they turn. Is Freeze the up and comer. Not sure he is the answer. What about Dykes at Cal. It won't be Mischamp. Trying to think of others. Is there someone from the NFL that could be the new UT coach.

So far Dykes has had his hands full at Cal (though to be fair, he didn't have much to work with, so he could jump at the chance to go to Texas). Do they try to go after Muschamp this time?

"Fat, drunk, and stupid is no way to go through life, son."
N.AL-Tider
Coach Wallace Wade

E-Cred: 3190

N.AL-Tider

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 08, 2013, 08:55:43 PM »

I'm not sure about Kiffin or Brown being on the hot seat or not.  IMO I would think that Brown would probably go first.  He has under performed since Muschamp left for UF.  Speaking of Muschamp, I doubt he will be legitimately on the hot seat this year.  He coached the Gators to a 7-6 record his first year (2011) and then 11-2 last year.  Even if he does lose some more games I think he would be given at least another year to prove his ability.  Everyone knows that he can recruit so his "proof" is coaching the quality players he brings in there.  I honestly doubt the gators will lose more than a couple or three games and those are to teams that are obviously better than they, aTm, LSU, UGA... A 4 loss year will hurt the gator nation but not enough for them to demand his departure IMO.

"Play by play, that’s how we win here."

Eddie Jackson  Dec. 2016
Catch Prothro
Coach Gene Stallings

E-Cred: 5215

Catch Prothro

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 08, 2013, 09:18:57 PM »

I was watching a bit of the Giants v. Cowboys game, and I was really impressed with the Cowboys' defense.  For a Jerry Jones controlled team, with back-up QB Jason Garrett at head coach, the defense looked really sharp.  So I was like, Texas might want to look at this guy, I wonder who he is.  So I looked online, it's Monte Kiffin.   
Chechem
President Denny

E-Cred: 7228

Chechem

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 08, 2013, 09:29:41 PM »

I was watching a bit of the Giants v. Cowboys game, and I was really impressed with the Cowboys' defense.  For a Jerry Jones controlled team, with back-up QB Jason Garrett at head coach, the defense looked really sharp.  So I was like, Texas might want to look at this guy, I wonder who he is.  So I looked online, it's Monte Kiffin.   
Laughing
To be fair, he's a coach.  I don't know what happened to Lane!

Jamos
Coach Gene Stallings

Male

Jamos

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 09, 2013, 06:14:22 AM »

Laughing
To be fair, he's a coach.  I don't know what happened to Lane!

Without his dad, Lane is a nothing. Wink

roll tide roll
Grad Student

E-Cred: 1332

roll tide roll

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 09, 2013, 09:23:07 AM »

Kiffin has always been suspect.  He did nothing at UT before USC hired him.

Football aside, his actions at UT should disqualify him from consideration as night janitor.

Brown is definitely on the hot seat.  If they do not beat the Baylor, OU, and OSU this year he is gone.  In fact, a loss to just one of those teams may siganl his exit.  He is counting his blessings that they do not play A&M this year.  B/c that would definitely be a loss and the nail in the coffin.

Muschamp (Mus-CHOMP to UF fans) was way hyped coming in to Gainesville.  They are an impatient bunch down there after having their comeuppance with HBC in the 90's and a continuation of that success with Myer.

Mullins?  MSU is somewhat delusional.  They need to stay with him and see where he can take them.  IF they fire him he will immediately get a job with a program outside of the SEC.

Ole Miss is a head-scratcher.  I like Freeze's style.  Everybody is saying they are cheating.  I do not know.  I do know that playing against BAMA every year is second only to playing for BAMA every year.

This obviously applies to the conference as a whole, but I am biased.  Similarly to how playing basketball for anyone in the ACC is a high plateau surpassed only by playing for UNC or Duke.

It all comes down to the level of competition and that with limited rosters good players filter down to mid-level teams they might not have picked first.  Also, some are lazy and do not want to have to compete for their position.
« Last Edit: September 09, 2013, 09:25:43 AM by roll tide roll » Logged
Jamos
Coach Gene Stallings

Male

Jamos

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 16, 2013, 07:52:53 PM »

After watching Nebraska get totally annihilated at home by UCLA Saturday I thought I better go to the graveyard and dig up this thread and add another name to it.

If Bo Pellini isn't on the hot seat at Nebraska then there's something wrong with their whole football program. Nebraska was once one of the premier programs in college football but you wouldn't know it today.

I say they are a bad team, but they might just be just an average Big ten team.

Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Next Game

vs.

Day: Saturday
Date: 8/31/2024
Time: TBD
TV: TBD
Radio: Fun 92.7
Tuscaloosa, AL

* Who's Online
  • Dot Guests: 873
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 0