Author Topic: Books  (Read 28831 times)
Allie
Senior

E-Cred: 65

Female

Allie

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: March 31, 2011, 01:34:45 PM »

I've read a lot of Michael Connelly's books in the past year, both the Harry Bosch and Mickey Haller series.  Anyone else read these?

The Lincoln Lawyer - recently released at the theater - is based on one of his Mickey Haller books.

I've read Connelly but I can't remember what it was.

I'm always looking for new stuff to read.
Terrie1959
Coach E. B. Beaumont

E-Cred: 724

Female

Terrie1959

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: March 31, 2011, 01:50:39 PM »

Even though I voted for him both times....I didn't always agree with Bush's politics; however I have been most impressed with how he has handled himself in regards to Obama since he left office.  He has been very respectful as even Oprah pointed out when she interviewed him during his book tour.  Rather refreshing from a politician.

AND I want to read his book...but I will be honest...I want someone to read it TO me.  Books that can border on dull are always better on tape.

I got the book on CD for Christmas. I'm ashamed to say that I haven't listened to it yet.  There are several CD's which is one reason I haven't. I think it's going to be too large for my ITouch.
Kupkake
Senior

E-Cred: 76

Female

Kupkake

My hero - Jumpin' Joe Namath

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: March 31, 2011, 02:00:02 PM »

I've read a lot of Michael Connelly's books in the past year, both the Harry Bosch and Mickey Haller series.  Anyone else read these?

The Lincoln Lawyer - recently released at the theater - is based on one of his Mickey Haller books.

Yes, we read these.  I think we have read all of the Harry Bosch and Mickey Haller although I prefer Harry Bosch.  I've downloaded The Reversal but haven't read it yet.  

I got back logged when my doctor told me about Peter Robinson and I started downloading his books!  I love the whole English countryside thing - geography, food, language - but Hedduk won't go near it. I've read 10 of his starting with In a Dry Season  Fortunately he hasn't released anything else recently so I'm caught up.  He wrote some before that but so far I haven't ventured further back!
« Last Edit: March 31, 2011, 02:02:04 PM by Kupkake » Logged
Hannibal Lecter, MD
Coach Wallace Wade

E-Cred: 2961

Hannibal Lecter, MD

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: March 31, 2011, 02:11:52 PM »

Brad Thor's Scot Harvath series is another one that I've read a few of in the past year.

Someone mentioned Lee Childs.  He writes the type of fiction than I enjoy, but I cannot get past his writing.  His style bores me for whatever reason.
Kupkake
Senior

Female

Kupkake

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: March 31, 2011, 02:18:47 PM »

Brad Thor's Scot Harvath series is another one that I've read a few of in the past year.

Someone mentioned Lee Childs.  He writes the type of fiction than I enjoy, but I cannot get past his writing.  His style bores me for whatever reason.

You mean you don't love that dashing figure, blue eyes, world class drop-out, Jack Reacher?  Maybe he's more Allie's type! Grin
Kupkake
Senior

Female

Kupkake

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: March 31, 2011, 02:24:58 PM »

Another writer I enjoy is Nelson DeMille.  The Lion's Game and it's sequel  The Lion are both good reads.  I found Nightfall to be fascinating - an alternate view of the crash of TWA's Flight 800. 

Does anyone other than Heduk and me read his books?
Hannibal Lecter, MD
Coach Wallace Wade

E-Cred: 2961

Hannibal Lecter, MD

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: March 31, 2011, 02:33:52 PM »

Another writer I enjoy is Nelson DeMille.  The Lion's Game and it's sequel  The Lion are both good reads.  I found Nightfall to be fascinating - an alternate view of the crash of TWA's Flight 800. 

Does anyone other than Heduk and me read his books?

I haven't yet, but he's been on my list for some time.
Crimson Phoenix
Grad Student

E-Cred: 173

Female

Crimson Phoenix

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: March 31, 2011, 02:38:07 PM »

Someone mentioned Lee Childs.  He writes the type of fiction than I enjoy, but I cannot get past his writing.  His style bores me for whatever reason.

You mean you don't love that dashing figure, blue eyes, world class drop-out, Jack Reacher?  Maybe he's more Allie's type! Grin

I might like Reacher too.  He sounds like an interesting character. I have never read a Lee Child book, but he sounds similar to Stuart Woods and think I'll enjoy his books.

Killing Floor
1st JACK REACHER BOOK

"The electrifying debut novel which introduces Jack Reacher, a drifter and ex-military policeman; a man of action unafraid to take justice into his own hands; a man of intelligence and cunning. Shortly after Reacher arrives in the sleepy town of Margrave, Georgia he's arrested for murder. The next three days' events leave everyone stunned. Unable to walk away from the situation, Reacher must unravel the mystery before a team of killers make him the next victim." Click here for link

I have read only one Nelson DeMille book...The General's Daughter.  It was very good...I couldn't put it down.  I have a couple more on the shelf....but have not gotten around to reading them.
« Last Edit: March 31, 2011, 02:40:23 PM by Crimson Phoenix » Logged
Allie
Senior

Female

Allie

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: March 31, 2011, 02:54:14 PM »

You mean you don't love that dashing figure, blue eyes, world class drop-out, Jack Reacher?  Maybe he's more Allie's type!

I might have to check that out...  Cool
I have a thing for blue eyes. 
GBG
gilmer

E-Cred: 15

Female

GBG

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: March 31, 2011, 07:51:04 PM »

Kupkake...you may very much like your iPad for reading. I love reading on mine and there is a free Kindle app. I recommend that over iBooks because of the price...iBooks are sometimes more expensive and the library they have to select from isn't as expansive.
Kupkake
Senior

Female

Kupkake

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: March 31, 2011, 08:28:53 PM »

Kupkake...you may very much like your iPad for reading. I love reading on mine and there is a free Kindle app. I recommend that over iBooks because of the price...iBooks are sometimes more expensive and the library they have to select from isn't as expansive.

Thanks GBG!  I've found that Amazon and Barnes and Noble both have apps for the IPad and that's part of what I am looking forward to using.  I download books now using my Sony Daily Edition Reader but it does not have an app for the other sites.  It was developing one for the IPad and Sony and Apple got into something and now Apple will not let them use it.  That's okay since I have my Sony.  I have compared costs among Sony, Amazon and B&N and found them to be pretty comparable.  Some of the publishers have now upped their prices and apparently the ereader folk have no control over that.  

I really am lookng forward to my IPad 2 for all kinds of reasons, but alas, since I ordered it online I have to wait until almost the end of April for it. Sad
« Last Edit: March 31, 2011, 08:43:26 PM by Kupkake » Logged
KoKoPuf
Coach Xen Scott

E-Cred: 3504

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: March 31, 2011, 08:31:15 PM »

I have read all the Michael Connolly books, both Harry Bosch & Mickey Haller. Some of his others like "The Poet" are really good also.

Harlan Coben is usually good but one of his recent releases was just awful. If I had read it first I probably not have bought another. I can't remember the name right now but it was his first novel but never published until last year.
Allie
Senior

Female

Allie

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: March 31, 2011, 08:50:44 PM »

Give the JR Ward series a shot.
Try something different.  :-)

Black Dagger Brotherhood series...
Book #1 is Dark Lover

It's not a sleazy smut book, as my mom would say.
(cross my heart)

Click here for link

Yes, it's vampires- but theyre the good guys and the aren't sissy's..
very macho..   

ssmithhhh
Senior

E-Cred: 142

Male

ssmithhhh

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: April 01, 2011, 07:26:40 AM »

Someone mentioned Lee Childs.  He writes the type of fiction than I enjoy, but I cannot get past his writing.  His style bores me for whatever reason.

You mean you don't love that dashing figure, blue eyes, world class drop-out, Jack Reacher?  Maybe he's more Allie's type! Grin

I might like Reacher too.  He sounds like an interesting character. I have never read a Lee Child book, but he sounds similar to Stuart Woods and think I'll enjoy his books.

Killing Floor
1st JACK REACHER BOOK

"The electrifying debut novel which introduces Jack Reacher, a drifter and ex-military policeman; a man of action unafraid to take justice into his own hands; a man of intelligence and cunning. Shortly after Reacher arrives in the sleepy town of Margrave, Georgia he's arrested for murder. The next three days' events leave everyone stunned. Unable to walk away from the situation, Reacher must unravel the mystery before a team of killers make him the next victim." Click here for link

I have read only one Nelson DeMille book...The General's Daughter.  It was very good...I couldn't put it down.  I have a couple more on the shelf....but have not gotten around to reading them.

I'm going to agree with Hannibal on the writing style of Lee Child.  The Jack Reacher character is interesting, but Child's writing structure is just strange at times.  One chapter he uses all the literary skills of a Hemingway.  The next chapter it's almost as if his grandkid wrote it as an afterthought.

That disrupts the flow of the "suspension of disbelief" in being "in the novel". 

I struggled through two Reacher novels.  That's enough.

Someone also mentioned Daniel Silva (KupKake I believe).  He's also getting my attention.  Excellent writer and consummate story teller.

Wit Has Replaced War - Old Tider speaking of CRS.
Crimson Phoenix
Grad Student

E-Cred: 173

Female

Crimson Phoenix

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: April 01, 2011, 09:30:20 AM »

Thanks.  After reading your critiques, I probably won't try any of Lee Child's novels.  I've never noticed any of his books on the best seller lists either.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Next Game

vs.

Day: Saturday
Date: 8/31/2024
Time: TBD
TV: TBD
Radio: Fun 92.7
Tuscaloosa, AL

* Who's Online
  • Dot Guests: 568
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 0