2Stater
President Denny

E-Cred: 7921

Male

2Stater

Kazowie!

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: March 31, 2011, 08:46:48 AM »

Even though I voted for him both times....I didn't always agree with Bush's politics; however I have been most impressed with how he has handled himself in regards to Obama since he left office.  He has been very respectful as even Oprah pointed out when she interviewed him during his book tour.  Rather refreshing from a politician.

AND I want to read his book...but I will be honest...I want someone to read it TO me.  Books that can border on dull are always better on tape.

Nothing dull about this book GBG. It's a great read.
BAMAWV
Coach Nick Saban

E-Cred: 2454

BAMAWV

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 31, 2011, 08:53:03 AM »

Even though I voted for him both times....I didn't always agree with Bush's politics; however I have been most impressed with how he has handled himself in regards to Obama since he left office.  He has been very respectful as even Oprah pointed out when she interviewed him during his book tour.  Rather refreshing from a politician.

AND I want to read his book...but I will be honest...I want someone to read it TO me.  Books that can border on dull are always better on tape.

Catching up on your reading lately? Let it go!

If my standards are not high enough, kindly lower yours.
Allie
Senior

E-Cred: 65

Female

Allie

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 31, 2011, 09:10:29 AM »

Reading Lover UnLeashed.
It's book #9 (I think) of the Black Dagger BrotherHood series.

THE BLACK DAGGER BROTHERHOOD SERIES
Six Warrior Vampires. Lovers, Fighters, Brothers. Lethal, not Evil, they're coming for you.

.....Love it.... 
2Stater
President Denny

E-Cred: 7921

Male

2Stater

Kazowie!

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 31, 2011, 09:46:10 AM »

Catching up on your reading lately? Let it go!

Whatchoo talkin' 'bout W....................?
KoKoPuf
Coach Xen Scott

E-Cred: 3504

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 31, 2011, 10:01:52 AM »

I'm currently reading "The Girl Who Kicked The Hornet's Nest" by Stieg Larrsen. It is the third book in the series that includes "The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo" and "The Girl Who Played With Fire". Absolutely great books! Unfortunately, Stieg Larrsen died at age 43 so this is the last of the books unless another author continues the series.
Allie
Senior

Female

Allie

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 31, 2011, 10:05:18 AM »

Allie throw your review in here too once you're done!  

REALLY good so far..  I started it yesterday so I should be able to pass it to you Monday..  

I can't wait for you to read it so we can talk about it...

Did you remember that Wrath is the one who broke Payne's back at the end of the last book?  I had forgotten that.

Vishous is back to the old V...  (rememberthe apartment he kept with all of his toys? .....  )
There are some great lines between he and Butch.  ""She's just a pimp away from being a prostitute, true?"  

Dr. Manello has lots of potential.   Getting to know him has been fun so far.

So far there hasn't been much about the Lessers.  
Crimson Phoenix
Grad Student

E-Cred: 173

Female

Crimson Phoenix

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 31, 2011, 10:57:35 AM »

I just finished reading Frank Kriegel's Namath.  I recommend for anyone who is a Joe Namath fan.  Shows  the Joe off the field, not just on.  Actually went back a re-read parts because I wanted to absorb it more.

Just started Daniel Silva's The Rembrandt Affair.  The latest in a series about Gariel Allon, Israel assassin for the government and masterful art restorer.  I read all the books Siva has written about him.  Love 'em, love 'em, love 'em. 

Downloaded Johathan Kellerman's Mystery and Harlen Coben's Live Wire.  I already have downloaded Decision Points but haven't started it yet.  I need to be able to concentrate when I read it.  Laura Bush also has a book coming out April 5, Spoken from the Heart, which I will download when it comes out.

I love to read - as should be obvious! - and prefer to read books written by men rather than women.  Hedduk and I have very similar tastes in reading.

The list of writers I download whenever they publish a new book goes on and on!

KupKake....do you have a Kindle?  I need to get one.  What do you and Hedduk use?
Kupkake
Senior

E-Cred: 76

Female

Kupkake

My hero - Jumpin' Joe Namath

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 31, 2011, 11:29:43 AM »

and prefer to read books written by men rather than women.

I found this to be a curios statement.  Would you care to elaborate?

Sure!  Most of the fiction written by men just is written crisper, defines characters better, handles dialogue well  and has a good action story line:  Examples:  Jonathan Kellerman; Daniel Silva, Dennis LeHane, James Lee Burke, Lee Child, John Lescroart, Michael Connelly, Nelson DeMille, T. Jefferson  arker, John Sandford, Stieg Larsson and Ken Follett.  I like action rather than emoting.

When I was younger I read more books written by women.  But they were more the mushy, bosom rippers!  

Also, maybe part of it is that I enjoy being around men more than women.  I grew up with 3 brothers, have 14 male cousins, worked in a world where I was the only woman supervisor among men and all in all I just feel more comfortable with them.  Call me weird!
« Last Edit: March 31, 2011, 12:08:51 PM by Kupkake » Logged
Kupkake
Senior

Female

Kupkake

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 31, 2011, 11:38:23 AM »

I just finished reading Frank Kriegel's Namath.  I recommend for anyone who is a Joe Namath fan.  Shows  the Joe off the field, not just on.  Actually went back a re-read parts because I wanted to absorb it more.

Just started Daniel Silva's The Rembrandt Affair.  The latest in a series about Gariel Allon, Israel assassin for the government and masterful art restorer.  I read all the books Siva has written about him.  Love 'em, love 'em, love 'em.  

Downloaded Johathan Kellerman's Mystery and Harlen Coben's Live Wire.  I already have downloaded Decision Points but haven't started it yet.  I need to be able to concentrate when I read it.  Laura Bush also has a book coming out April 5, Spoken from the Heart, which I will download when it comes out.

I love to read - as should be obvious! - and prefer to read books written by men rather than women.  Hedduk and I have very similar tastes in reading.

The list of writers I download whenever they publish a new book goes on and on!

KupKake....do you have a Kindle?  I need to get one.  What do you and Hedduk use?

CP -
We both have a Sony Daily Edition Readers.  We bought them because we liked the bigger screen size.  I will admit my main frustration is with Sony which does not have the number of books that Amazon or B&N have and you cannot download books from Amazon or B&N because of some DRM thingy.  I have ordered an IPad 2 and although I don't plan to use it for a lot of reading (because of weight) I will be able to load from Amazon and B&N.  

As for you, I would suggest that you look at the Kindles.  Find the one that you think best meets your needs.  I think they make a good reader and you will have a great variety of books.  I do suggest that you buy a cover.  I have dropped my ereader at least twice with no ill effects!  Good luck - let me know what you get!  

As for us, we currently have about 58 books downloaded.  We bought ours Dec, 2010.  That's 58 books that aren't sitting around the great room stacked everywhere and cluttering a space already full of books!
« Last Edit: March 31, 2011, 01:18:58 PM by Kupkake » Logged
Allie
Senior

Female

Allie

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 31, 2011, 11:45:47 AM »

I found this to be a curios statement.  Would you care to elaborate?

Sure!  Most of the fiction written by men just is written crisper, defines characters better, handles dialogue well  and has a good action story line:  Examples:  Jonathan Kellerman; Daniel Silva, Dennis LeHane, James Lee Burke, Lee Child, John Lescroart, Michael Connelly, Nelson DeMille, Jefferson T. Parker, John Sandford, Stieg Larsson and Ken Follett.  I like action rather than emoting.

When I was younger I read more books written by women.  But they were more the mushy, bosom rippers! 

Also, maybe part of it is that I enjoy being around men more than women.  I grew up with 3 brothers, have 14 male cousins, worked in a world where I was the only woman supervisor among men and all in all I just feel more comfortable with them.  Call me weird!

You're weird.  :-)

I understand what youre saying.
Is it weird that I like the Nora Roberts books written under the JD Robb pseudonym more than the normal romances she writes.

I am not a romance reader.

She did have a couple of series that I really likes but they were sci-fy/suspense... 
Allie
Senior

Female

Allie

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: March 31, 2011, 11:52:21 AM »

KupKake - Do you like the Harlen Coben books?
I was looking at them in B&N last week and almost bought a cpl but wanted to investigate a little more first.
Crimson Phoenix
Grad Student

Female

Crimson Phoenix

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 31, 2011, 12:00:48 PM »

I found this to be a curios statement.  Would you care to elaborate?

Sure!  Most of the fiction written by men just is written crisper, defines characters better, handles dialogue well  and has a good action story line:  Examples:  Jonathan Kellerman; Daniel Silva, Dennis LeHane, James Lee Burke, Lee Child, John Lescroart, Michael Connelly, Nelson DeMille, Jefferson T. Parker, John Sandford, Stieg Larsson and Ken Follett.  I like action rather than emoting.

When I was younger I read more books written by women.  But they were more the mushy, bosom rippers!  

Also, maybe part of it is that I enjoy being around men more than women.  I grew up with 3 brothers, have 14 male cousins, worked in a world where I was the only woman supervisor among men and all in all I just feel more comfortable with them.  Call me weird!

Thanks KupKake.  I think a Kindle seems best for me too.

I also read more books by male authors than female authors.  But I still like light mysteries by Mary Higgins Clark, and rarely miss one.  This probably goes back to my Childhood years (9 and 10) when I read all 26 Nancy Drew mysteries.  Grin  I didn't see Stuart Woods on your list.  Palindrome got me started with his books.  
« Last Edit: March 31, 2011, 12:08:38 PM by Crimson Phoenix » Logged
Kupkake
Senior

Female

Kupkake

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: March 31, 2011, 12:12:42 PM »

KupKake - Do you like the Harlen Coben books?
I was looking at them in B&N last week and almost bought a cpl but wanted to investigate a little more first.

I like the Harlen Coben books and it helps to read them somewhat in order.  My favorite of his involve the character of Marvin Bolitar.  He is a real character and is surrounded by some really funny characters!  They are just a light, really fun read.

I used to read the Mary Higgins Clark books but somehow got away from them.  I did read ALL the Nancy Drew mysteries as a child! 

I do read a few books by women.  One of my favorites was Founding Mothers by Cokie Roberts.  And one I read and passed on to my college roommate was The Memory Keepers Daughter by Kim Edwards.  I just liked the look of the cover and bought the paperback at Costco.  It really is a beautifully written and poignant book.
« Last Edit: March 31, 2011, 12:18:15 PM by Kupkake » Logged
Crimson Phoenix
Grad Student

Female

Crimson Phoenix

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: March 31, 2011, 12:58:41 PM »

I read light stuff all the time.  

For my "serious" reading, I'm reading The Death and Life of the Great American School System by Diane Ravitch.  

This is more like me.  Cheesy My reading material ranges from light art magazines and Birds and Blooms magazines to mostly nonfiction. I get around to reading fiction during the winter months.

Right now, I am re-reading an old book of mine....Prehistoric Indians of the Southeast: Archaeology of Alabama and the Middle South by John Walthall.  I sent in my dues to the Alabama Archaeological Society and AAS Cullman Chapter yesterday.  I used to be really involved but haven’t been a member or kept up with research the past few years (such as there is a lot going on now in South Alabama with excavations of a very old town.  

“The town of Old St. Stephens was an important settlement on the frontier of a new nation; the site of a Spanish Fort, an American Fort, the Choctaw Trading Post, a Federal Land Office, Alabama’s Territorial Capital, and the first capital of the state of Alabama. The first American flag was raised over the region in 1799 at the fort.  Old St. Stephens is one of the most important historical and archaeological sites in Alabama.”
Click here for link  
Hannibal Lecter, MD
Coach Wallace Wade

E-Cred: 2961

Hannibal Lecter, MD

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: March 31, 2011, 01:31:19 PM »

I've read a lot of Michael Connelly's books in the past year, both the Harry Bosch and Mickey Haller series.  Anyone else read these?

The Lincoln Lawyer - recently released at the theater - is based on one of his Mickey Haller books.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Next Game

vs.

Day: Saturday
Date: 8/31/2024
Time: TBD
TV: TBD
Radio: Fun 92.7
Tuscaloosa, AL

* Who's Online
  • Dot Guests: 515
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 0