Marshal Dillon Marshal Dillon
E-Cred: 3072
bamaphil bamaphil
E-Cred: 2962
Hannibal Lecter, MD Hannibal Lecter, MD
E-Cred: 2961

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: A couple of questions for discussion:  (Read 7836 times)
hscoach
Coach Xen Scott

E-Cred: 2824

hscoach

View Profile
« on: August 05, 2013, 07:45:55 PM »

How do you feel about the paying of athletes?  Also, what should happen to boosters, who think they are helping, go behind the coaches backs and pay players?
Catch Prothro
Coach Gene Stallings

E-Cred: 5215

Catch Prothro

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2013, 07:53:47 PM »

How do you feel about the paying of athletes?  Also, what should happen to boosters, who think they are helping, go behind the coaches backs and pay players?
1.  I am all for paying players a stipend.
2. The boosters should be banned from ticket privileges and disassociated from the University.
2Stater
President Denny

E-Cred: 7921

Male

2Stater

Kazowie!

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2013, 08:00:48 PM »

1.  I am all for paying players a stipend.
2. The boosters should be banned from ticket privileges and disassociated from the University.

Simply put, this^^, although some lesser programs may have difficulty paying the players.
Jamos
Coach Gene Stallings

E-Cred: 5801

Male

Jamos

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2013, 08:08:55 PM »

I don't know about paying the players per se.  Undecided

“There were no arguments, those are called ass-chewings,” . Coach Nick Saban
XBAMA
Coach Wallace Wade

E-Cred: 4632

Male

XBAMA

Roll Tide

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: August 05, 2013, 09:13:26 PM »

which players will we pay ? all of them ? just the starters ? or will it include players of every sport or just the big money sports like football or basketball ?  

or say like ... I got a scholarship ... lets say for say baseball
but in high school I was at best a "C" student and not really brainy with
school work
and I make mention of my lack of the smarts to make the Deans List to the recruiter
so the College Coach offers to give me a helper or aka a test taker/tutor

that is a very valuable  commodity  to some people and worth a lot  ...
would that be considered "pay" too ?  
« Last Edit: August 05, 2013, 09:15:00 PM by XBAMA » Logged

God And Guns got us here and God and Guns will keep us here
XBAMA
Coach Wallace Wade

Male

XBAMA

Roll Tide

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: August 05, 2013, 09:21:19 PM »

as for the boosters ... they need to be kicked out of all things BAMA

Chechem
President Denny

E-Cred: 7228

Chechem

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 05, 2013, 09:28:41 PM »

1.  I'm not for paying football players.  It'd rapidly grow into 'pay for all athletes' (women too), at every school.  Top athletes would want more than benched players.  How would a school afford it?  

But if approved, Alabama will be one of the schools that would benefit most.  One of the proposals is to allow a school to pay what it can.  Alabama has the revenue to pay players more than most schools.  We'd be first in recruiting every year (harumph).

2.  Boosters who get out of control should be forced to watch games with Harvey Updyke.  

McBaman
Coach Xen Scott

E-Cred: 1150

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 05, 2013, 09:31:43 PM »

I don't know the time demands that are put on athletes in all the sports that offer schollys, but the time that training/practicing etc. requires makes is real tough for these students to have jobs while in school.  So I've long thought that some stipend to mitigate the restrictions of these time demands is fair.  An idea who's time has come.

XBAMA
Coach Wallace Wade

Male

XBAMA

Roll Tide

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: August 05, 2013, 09:34:43 PM »

But if approved, Alabama will be one of the schools that would benefit most.  One of the proposals is to allow a school to pay what it can.  Alabama has the revenue to pay players more than most schools.  We'd be first in recruiting every year (harumph).

Oh my God !  start digging the "over signers.com" graves now ...
this would kill them instantly !!!!!

Laughing Laughing Laughing

Chechem
President Denny

Chechem

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 05, 2013, 09:48:54 PM »

Oh my God !  start digging the "over signers.com" graves now ...
this would kill them instantly !!!!!
 Laughing Laughing Laughing
Laughing  Pretty funny, X.

A couple of years ago I was contacted by a member of the NCAA Presidential Task Force on Athletics.  We discussed the problems that big money has brought colleges, and we discussed potential solutions.  One of the proposals was to return to the original intent of TV revenues.  If you recall, Chevrolet was the original sponsor for many of the top TV games.  They gave scholarships to each school.  But soon the schools wanted cash instead.  The proposal was to return to scholarship funds instead of cash.  CNS won't like it, but such a policy would dry up the free flow of cash immediately.  It would also benefit education.  Gosh, money for education.  Never catch on!

You get the idea.  More in another thread (and an earlier hour)...

Catch Prothro
Coach Gene Stallings

E-Cred: 5215

Catch Prothro

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 05, 2013, 10:32:50 PM »

I don't know the time demands that are put on athletes in all the sports that offer schollys, but the time that training/practicing etc. requires makes is real tough for these students to have jobs while in school.  So I've long thought that some stipend to mitigate the restrictions of these time demands is fair.  An idea who's time has come.

^THIS^   But also --  many of these kids have few family resources, so they have to rely upon the generosity of other players to do something simple, like go out for pizza.  And a stipend might actually eliminate some of the "illegal booster activity."

As for big schools v. smaller schools, it is looking more and more like another tier could be created (Division IV?, Division X?) for the larger universities tired of the mid-major's undue influence in their athletic activities.

As for the amount of the stipend, it seems the discussions mostly agree it should be a set amount for all universities, and the same for all players, so as to eliminate the appearance of compensation and eliminate that type of competition.  Hence, a "stipend," not "compensation."

And Saban is in favor of a stipend.  That's enough for me.
#1Tidefan
Grad Student

E-Cred: 119

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 06, 2013, 12:34:51 AM »

How do you feel about the paying of athletes?  Also, what should happen to boosters, who think they are helping, go behind the coaches backs and pay players?

I don't feel they need to get payed as amateur athletes. They're already on a free-ride scholly, which is costly/expensive enough. And we all know about the "Booster Society" @ AU. I'm purty sure CNS and the faculty has made that clear since we haven't had that problem in awhile...JM 2cents worth.
Chechem
President Denny

Chechem

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 06, 2013, 05:59:11 AM »

How do you feel about the paying of athletes?  Also, what should happen to boosters, who think they are helping, go behind the coaches backs and pay players?
I don't feel they need to get payed as amateur athletes. They're already on a free-ride scholly, which is costly/expensive enough. And we all know about the "Booster Society" @ AU. I'm purty sure CNS and the faculty has made that clear since we haven't had that problem in awhile...JM 2cents worth.

Stop with the griping about money for players.  Football players DO GET STIPENDS for expenses not covered by their full tuition scholarship, books, full meal ticket, guest tickets, and full housing allowances.  It's a substantial amount of money for many players.  See: Click here for link  In addition, since 2011 the NCAA allows universities to pay a $2,000 stipend per full-scholarship athlete.
If you want to feel sorry for underpaid players   , spend your tears on those students on half scholarships or less.  Check baseball, for instance.  Most football players at big schools are treated (and paid) like kings, by comparison.
« Last Edit: August 06, 2013, 06:09:22 AM by Chechem » Logged

Jamos
Coach Gene Stallings

E-Cred: 5801

Male

Jamos

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 06, 2013, 06:17:00 AM »

Boosters should be held liable for bribery and tried in a coutroom when caught. This I think should be a state law and not an NCAA rule. If and when they put a minimum of 5 years in jail if caught and prosecuted, this type of thing will continue on.

These poor football players are living at school year round anymore, with education, rent and food free. They have some perks and seem to be doing well if they can afford the many tatoos from head to toe, wearing nice brand name clothing, shoes, and jewelry. Some even drive pretty nice autos. If they are so poor and deprived, I would think this would be a driving point to excel at the sport to make it to the next level where there are millions of dollars awaiting them.

“There were no arguments, those are called ass-chewings,” . Coach Nick Saban
2Stater
President Denny

E-Cred: 7921

Male

2Stater

Kazowie!

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 06, 2013, 07:16:14 AM »

Boosters should be held liable for bribery and tried in a coutroom when caught. This I think should be a state law and not an NCAA rule. If and when they put a minimum of 5 years in jail if caught and prosecuted, this type of thing will continue on.

These poor football players are living at school year round anymore, with education, rent and food free. They have some perks and seem to be doing well if they can afford the many tatoos from head to toe, wearing nice brand name clothing, shoes, and jewelry. Some even drive pretty nice autos. If they are so poor and deprived, I would think this would be a driving point to excel at the sport to make it to the next level where there are millions of dollars awaiting them.

Just pay them enough to afford some Skittles. 

J, didn't the State of Alabama pass a law similar to what you're talking about? Seems like I remember something to that effect happening after the Albert Means debacle.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Next Game

vs.

Day: Saturday
Date: 8/31/2024
Time: TBD
TV: TBD
Radio: Fun 92.7
Tuscaloosa, AL

* Who's Online
  • Dot Guests: 742
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 0