Marshal Dillon Marshal Dillon
E-Cred: 3072
bamaphil bamaphil
E-Cred: 2962
Hannibal Lecter, MD Hannibal Lecter, MD
E-Cred: 2961

Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Game notes Bama vs UK  (Read 11572 times)
hscoach
Coach Xen Scott

E-Cred: 2824

hscoach

View Profile
« on: October 13, 2013, 01:22:07 PM »

First: I want to congratulate the Bama coaches and players on the win.  After a mistake laced 1t quarter the coaches didn’t panic and, as they say, righted the ship for a dominant victory.

Offense:  Again the O did whatever they wanted in this game.  They had 668 yards of total offense.  The only problem with this is Bama had close to 140 yard in the first quarter and no points.  The only reason drives were stopped was because Bama stopped themselves.  They did this by fumbling twice with one being in the red zone.  Bama also had a dropped pass that would have given them a first down and kept the drive alive.  Bama only had 3 negative plays last night.  Two of the three were fumbles and the other was a tackle for loss.  There were no three and outs for Bama’s offense last night.  The Bama offense had 24 plays of 10 plus yards.  Fourteen of these were pass plays and 10 were runs. Two other pass plays for over 10 yards were negated by a step out of bounds and the other a penalty.   If my stats are correct the Bama RB’s only got hit 3 times behind the LOS and 2 of these, I think, were attributed to the TEs.  Bama got into the red zone 7 times.  They had a fumble, 2 field goals, and 4 touchdowns.  Two touchdowns came from just outside the red zone.  Too me the biggest concern was the 5 drops last night. I thought for a while the team was not real focused and it looked like they knew they were playing an inferior opponent and was playing not to get hurt.   Finally, I am really surprised the starters were left in as long as they were.

QB:   AJ had a good game.  Officially he was 21 for 35 which is 60%.  However, there were 5 legitimate drops that would have pushed his completion rate to 74 %.  He also had two receptions negated by a penalty and a catch out of bounds.  What I like most was how he recognized coverage and where to go with the ball quickly.  The only knock on AJ was the underthrown deep balls a couple of times.  BS did a nice job cleaning up and leading a touchdown drive. 

RB:  They ran hard and did a good job pass blocking.  The knock you have to protect the ball, cover the ball up, in the red zone and not leave points on the field.  KD had 4 of the runs for 10+ yards while TJ had 3.  KD also had a couple of catches which gained more than 10 yards.  He also had one of the drops along with TJ.  JF was used mostly as a blocker this game, but he did have one of the drops.

REC:  Overall they did a good job.  KB had 2 drops and was the only wide rec to drop the ball. Again, my big complaint here is the lack of effort when AJ is scrambling.  They is a perfect example on a couple of plays where you can see potential recs watching as AJ is scrambling.  We use to incorporate the scramble drill in our pass hull sessions even in high school.  I hate to keep harping on this, but it is something that is important and keeps drives alive.

OL:   I thought they played well.  They seem to communicate better and it seemed as though the LOS was always pushed, not driven back.   GH got a lot of playing time and others may have also, I just didn’t notice.

Defense:   The defense played well.  They only gave up188 total yards.  They had 5 negative plays which included 4 sacks and 1 tackle for loss. The defense had 3 three and outs and 2 four and outs.  What I mean here is there were a couple of drives where they made 1st downs of the first play, one by a pass and one by a penalty, but then went 3 and out.  Also, I didn’t count, but it didn’t seem like UK really put together more than a couple of 1st downs all night.  They gave up 2 runs for 10+ yards and 3 passes for 10 plus yards.  I don’t know what others thought, but I thought Bama played a lot of base defense.  I include nickel in the base package.  Here I mean I didn’t see a lot of stunts or blitzes.  There were a few, but not a lot.  The defense played very good assignment football most of the night. 

DL: They did a good job putting pressure on the QB with a 4 man rush many times.  They kept the OL from getting to the 2nd level allowing LB to make play.     

LB:  This is another game that showed the way CJM plays.  He gets people where they need to be.  He not only got the DL in place, but did you see him tell VS what he was supposed to do when he almost didn’t blitz.  Right after this you see CKS talking to VS on the sideline.  I would like to see everyone play with the fire/passion of CJM.

DB:   I have the DB’s for 5 pass break ups.  The only negative what the TD, which I couldn’t see on TV, but the announcers called a rub route.    This basically means the DB got picked off of his rec.   I really like the way VS breaks on the ball.  I thought JW play a good game.  One thing that really stood out in the 4th quarter was when LC comes down hill and filled the lane and made a play for a short gain.

Penalties:   Bama had 7 penalties which needs to be cut down.  They are lucky that AK didn’t get a spearing call on that one play.

Special teams:  They gave Bama good field position on a couple of punt returns.  Also, they didn’t allow any real big returns.  I feel like CF is kicking the ball better this year than he has in the past.  If I remember correctly Bama only punted once the whole night. 

Finally:  Bama seems to have made strides to improve.  Again, they played a vastly inferior team.  Hopefully, they can continue to improve.  One other thing Bama has been able to do the last couple of games is get some valuable playing time for those who may be needed in the future. 

Please feel free to comment.

Good Luck and Roll Tide Roll 
15 and counting
Old Tider
Coach Frank Thomas

E-Cred: 1634

Old Tider

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2013, 02:50:54 PM »

Many thanks, Coach.
I noted one Kentucky reporter howling about Bama running on 4th and 1 with the a 41-7 lead. But someone commented that this is known as a gift to the defense, giving them a chance to make a stop. In other words, Bama didn't kick an easy field goal instead.
ricky023
President Denny

E-Cred: 5062

Male

ricky023

To Be One Ask One

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2013, 02:58:32 PM »

Excellent job hsc. Many times the people complaining don't even know what they are complaining about. RTR!

John 15:5
"The Preacher"
"Rangers Lead the Way"
1/75th Rangers
XBAMA
Coach Wallace Wade

E-Cred: 4632

Male

XBAMA

Roll Tide

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: October 13, 2013, 03:16:43 PM »

Excellent job hsc. Many times the people complaining don't even know what they are complaining about. RTR!

plus that we were resting Cade's leg   

great job HSC !   

God And Guns got us here and God and Guns will keep us here
pmull
Coach Nick Saban

E-Cred: 6110

Male

pmull

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 13, 2013, 04:16:25 PM »

Good job as always hsc.

I like what I see from A'Shawn Robinson. He is turning into the dominate pass rusher we have been missing. He got his 4th sack of the year last night.

Going into the year I was concerned with Cade Foster as our place kicker. However, he has looked very solid so far. I guess anyone would have a low percentage if they only kicked 50 plus yard field goals. I think kicking extra points and shorter field goals helps him get in a rhythm. His kickoffs have been good. His kicks are so high that they are rarely returned past the 20.

I don't like the fumbles but when they hold on to the ball we have a good one-two punch with Yeldon and Drake. To me Drake has been very impressive. He hits the hole fast and gets up field. It seems like our # 2 RB every year is my favorite.

Kevin Norwood is having good year. He has made some outstanding catches in traffic. He did it again last night. I love this group of receivers. We are so deep Black rarely sees the field. Cooper looked a lot better last night.

CJ Mosley is having an All-American year. Besides making play after play he is doing a good job of making sure everyone is on the same page and in the correct place. Alabama has been fortunate to have some great linebackers but CJ is one of the best we have ever had.

Did anyone else get annoyed by the announcer calling AJ a game manager about 100 times last night?

hscoach
Coach Xen Scott

hscoach

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 13, 2013, 04:57:25 PM »

Good job as always hsc.

I like what I see from A'Shawn Robinson. He is turning into the dominate pass rusher we have been missing. He got his 4th sack of the year last night.

Going into the year I was concerned with Cade Foster as our place kicker. However, he has looked very solid so far. I guess anyone would have a low percentage if they only kicked 50 plus yard field goals. I think kicking extra points and shorter field goals helps him get in a rhythm. His kickoffs have been good. His kicks are so high that they are rarely returned past the 20.

I don't like the fumbles but when they hold on to the ball we have a good one-two punch with Yeldon and Drake. To me Drake has been very impressive. He hits the hole fast and gets up field. It seems like our # 2 RB every year is my favorite.

Kevin Norwood is having good year. He has made some outstanding catches in traffic. He did it again last night. I love this group of receivers. We are so deep Black rarely sees the field. Cooper looked a lot better last night.

CJ Mosley is having an All-American year. Besides making play after play he is doing a good job of making sure everyone is on the same page and in the correct place. Alabama has been fortunate to have some great linebackers but CJ is one of the best we have ever had.

Did anyone else get annoyed by the announcer calling AJ a game manager about 100 times last night?

I agree, very good points.
lstephen
Coach E. B. Beaumont

E-Cred: 83

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 13, 2013, 05:03:43 PM »

Excellent stuff hsc.  On the run when we were up 41-7.  What were we supposed to do there?  Seems like it is the job of the defense to stop the run!    Applause E-Cred
SUPERCOACH
Coach Bear Bryant

E-Cred: 5654

Male

SUPERCOACH

"Let's go."

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 13, 2013, 05:05:20 PM »

Good job as always hsc.

I was really annoyed when they put the game in a small window and talked to Todd McShay for so long.  Believe it or not ESPN, I did not tune into this game to hear why Todd McShay thinks AJ is a "3rd tier" QB.  I know it might be hard to believe, but I did actually want to watch the game.  When I want to hear Todd McShay I watch College Football Live.

Angry Angry

"The same thing win, that always won... and we just have a different bunch of excuses if we lose"
2Stater
President Denny

E-Cred: 7921

Male

2Stater

Kazowie!

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 13, 2013, 06:50:23 PM »

Good job as always hsc.

I was really annoyed when they put the game in a small window and talked to Todd McShay for so long.  Believe it or not ESPN, I did not tune into this game to hear why Todd McShay thinks AJ is a "3rd tier" QB.  I know it might be hard to believe, but I did actually want to watch the game.  When I want to hear Todd McShay I watch College Football Live.

Angry Angry

What I thought was great was AJ conducting a picture perfect drive while McShay was running his flap-trap about AJ not Being a first rounder. It actually seemed to fluster McShay.
Bamaphile
Coach E. B. Beaumont

E-Cred: 3183

Bamaphile

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 13, 2013, 07:01:25 PM »

Many thanks, Coach.
I noted one Kentucky reporter howling about Bama running on 4th and 1 with the a 41-7 lead. But someone commented that this is known as a gift to the defense, giving them a chance to make a stop. In other words, Bama didn't kick an easy field goal instead.

I also don't think that CNS intended for us to score on that last drive.  After the game when he was talking to Stoops, it looked like CNS was motioning down the field and shaking his head.  It looked like Stoops said something like, "That's ok."  I was wondering if anybody else saw this or had seen anything written about it.
hscoach
Coach Xen Scott

hscoach

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 13, 2013, 07:18:28 PM »

Many thanks, Coach.

I also don't think that CNS intended for us to score on that last drive.  After the game when he was talking to Stoops, it looked like CNS was motioning down the field and shaking his head.  It looked like Stoops said something like, "That's ok."  I was wondering if anybody else saw this or had seen anything written about it.

I don't think Saban thought they would score with the back up line in there.  It is hard to tell those guys,who don't get to play as much, not to play hard.  They all want to show the coach they deserve more playing time if they are any type of competitor.
cbbama99
Coach Wallace Wade

E-Cred: 2889

Male

cbbama99

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 13, 2013, 07:33:34 PM »

Good job as always hsc.

Angry Angry

Yes, on both of these points. I also got annoyed with Brock Huard at the end of the game running his mouth about how wonderful the Pac-12 is.

"Fat, drunk, and stupid is no way to go through life, son."
SUPERCOACH
Coach Bear Bryant

Male

SUPERCOACH

"Let's go."

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 13, 2013, 08:32:30 PM »

Good job as always hsc.

Angry Angry

What I thought was great was AJ conducting a picture perfect drive while McShay was running his flap-trap about AJ not Being a first rounder. It actually seemed to fluster McShay.

Yeah, it was pretty funny when they had to interrupt him to tell him that AJ just threw another touchdown pass.

Laughing

"The same thing win, that always won... and we just have a different bunch of excuses if we lose"
SUPERCOACH
Coach Bear Bryant

Male

SUPERCOACH

"Let's go."

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 13, 2013, 08:35:33 PM »

Good job as always hsc.

Angry Angry

Yes, on both of these points. I also got annoyed with Brock Huard at the end of the game running his mouth about how wonderful the Pac-12 is.

Look on the bright side.  This is actually progress.  Nobody even bothers to try to pump up the Big 10 or Big 12 any more.

Laughing

ALTideUp
Coach E. B. Beaumont

E-Cred: 2045

ALTideUp

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 13, 2013, 08:45:43 PM »

Thanks HSC. Always enjoy the Sunday read.

"When the going get's weird, the weird turn pro"

Hunter S. Thompson
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Next Game

vs.

Day: Saturday
Date: 8/31/2024
Time: TBD
TV: TBD
Radio: Fun 92.7
Tuscaloosa, AL

* Who's Online
  • Dot Guests: 175
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 0