Marshal Dillon Marshal Dillon
E-Cred: 3072
bamaphil bamaphil
E-Cred: 2962
Hannibal Lecter, MD Hannibal Lecter, MD
E-Cred: 2961

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Wal-mart Double Dealing  (Read 4995 times)
SUPERCOACH
Coach Bear Bryant

E-Cred: 5654

Male

SUPERCOACH

"Let's go."

View Profile
« on: August 15, 2014, 06:59:32 PM »

My kids wanted a new video game so I checked on Walmart.com to see if they had it here in town or if it was something I would have to order.  Their web site showed they had it in stock and it was $42.33.  So I told the kids we would go by and pick it up after dinner.

When we got to the store, it was actually $59.96.  I know from past experience that they refuse to price match their own web site, so I didn't even bother arguing with them.  Then I checked on amazon.com and the exact same item was $29.20 with free shipping.

I think I am about done with this nonsense.  I pretty much buy everything from amazon.com these days, but occassionally I will get something locally if I don't want to wait a couple of days for shipping and the price is fairly close.  But a company that will sell you the same item for $42 or $60 depending on which door you come through is not worthy of my trust, nor my money.  I wouldn't be upset with them if they couldn't/wouldn't match amazon, but not matching your own web site is ridiculous.

I knew that was their policy from a similar incident with a microwave that happened once before.  That time I asked them about it and they said they could not honor the price on walmart.com.  I said, OK, no problem, then proceeded to pull out my phone and buy the item from walmart.com standing right there in the store.  A couple minutes later, they got an email telling them to get the item ready for me to come pick up.  Do they not realize that customers can do that?  This whole two price policy is just downright sleazy.  How is a customer supposed to trust a company that behaves like that?

"The same thing win, that always won... and we just have a different bunch of excuses if we lose"
KoKoPuf
Coach Xen Scott

E-Cred: 3504

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2014, 09:01:08 PM »

I know, Coach, it makes no sense that you can order on line for store pickup for less than you can buy it direct from the store but that is Walmart. Amazon is just so easy and provides such good service, I find I buy more and more from them each year.
Chechem
President Denny

E-Cred: 7228

Chechem

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2014, 04:32:53 AM »

I buy almost everything on line now.  The waders I use for fishing come from LL Bean.  When they started to leak last year I simply shipped them back in the packaging they provided, and got a new pair.  Wal-Mart sells low-quality waders without slip-proof boots, and I doubt they take items back without a fight.

Thanks for confirming, SC.  I've had the same issue with prices on line for Home Depot; quoted cheaper on line than in the store.  When asked, they say the on-line prices are for on-line orders.  Right.

Angry

Jamos
Coach Gene Stallings

E-Cred: 5801

Male

Jamos

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2014, 05:36:22 AM »

My kids wanted a new video game so I checked on Walmart.com to see if they had it here in town or if it was something I would have to order.  Their web site showed they had it in stock and it was $42.33.  So I told the kids we would go by and pick it up after dinner.

When we got to the store, it was actually $59.96.  I know from past experience that they refuse to price match their own web site, so I didn't even bother arguing with them.  Then I checked on amazon.com and the exact same item was $29.20 with free shipping.

I think I am about done with this nonsense.  I pretty much buy everything from amazon.com these days, but occassionally I will get something locally if I don't want to wait a couple of days for shipping and the price is fairly close.  But a company that will sell you the same item for $42 or $60 depending on which door you come through is not worthy of my trust, nor my money.  I wouldn't be upset with them if they couldn't/wouldn't match amazon, but not matching your own web site is ridiculous.

I knew that was their policy from a similar incident with a microwave that happened once before.  That time I asked them about it and they said they could not honor the price on walmart.com.  I said, OK, no problem, then proceeded to pull out my phone and buy the item from walmart.com standing right there in the store.  A couple minutes later, they got an email telling them to get the item ready for me to come pick up.  Do they not realize that customers can do that?  This whole two price policy is just downright sleazy.  How is a customer supposed to trust a company that behaves like that?

You make a valid point about what is happening in today's world and moving forward I will do more research in my future purchasing and use your tactics, it makes a lot of "cents". Wink

“There were no arguments, those are called ass-chewings,” . Coach Nick Saban
Catch Prothro
Coach Gene Stallings

E-Cred: 5215

Catch Prothro

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 16, 2014, 08:39:37 AM »

Yes, I noticed WalMart does that.  It's a poor strategy, and sleazy. 

Lowes and Home Depot seem to have the same price online and in store. 

Most of my purchases are on amazon; with Prime and free 2-day shipping.  But amazon's price includes shipping costs, and sometimes you're better off finding it locally, or online with a local store that keeps it in stock.

XBAMA
Coach Wallace Wade

E-Cred: 4632

Male

XBAMA

Roll Tide

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: August 16, 2014, 08:44:40 AM »

helps explain the loss WalMarks reported last qtr. too   Laughing

God And Guns got us here and God and Guns will keep us here
Crimson Phoenix
Grad Student

E-Cred: 173

Female

Crimson Phoenix

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 16, 2014, 10:29:34 AM »

WalMart did have good prices years ago when they opened their big ugly stores and drove local retailers out of business.  

So many people are reporting that big box stores are going out of style.  They have too much competition and people are abandoning them for reasons y'all are discussing.

Just the same, WalMart is building a brand new super store here in the north end of Cullman because the store in the south of town is so crowded that it is exceeding safety regulations.  

« Last Edit: August 16, 2014, 10:33:33 AM by Crimson Phoenix » Logged
ricky023
President Denny

E-Cred: 5062

Male

ricky023

To Be One Ask One

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 16, 2014, 01:22:03 PM »

Well everybody you have to understand Sam Walton is dead. When died integrity died with him. His kids are like a lot of others, that was raised rich spoiled brats. My personal opinion is I agree. RTR!

John 15:5
"The Preacher"
"Rangers Lead the Way"
1/75th Rangers
SUPERCOACH
Coach Bear Bryant

E-Cred: 5654

Male

SUPERCOACH

"Let's go."

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 16, 2014, 01:27:48 PM »

I ended up buying it for $60 because I didn't want to disappoint the kids.  I wanted to make the point that I say what I mean and I mean what I say.  Of course they already know that, but this incident just reinforced it.  Even if Walmart lied to me about the price, that is not a good excuse for me to go back on what I told them I would do.  I wanted them to see that even if someone else is not holding up their end of the bargain, you still need to do what you said you would do, as long as it is within your power to do so.  And it was in this case.

Now I realize that for some folks the price difference would make the difference in whether or not they could afford it.  But that wasn't an issue here, it was simply the principle of the matter that irked me.  Don't tell me one price to get me in the store when I am shopping from my living room and then refuse to honor that price when I drive over to the store to pick it up.

But this story has a happy ending for me at least, in spite of Walmart's double dealing.  I went back to the store late last night for something else.  When I got out of my car, I literally stepped on $11 laying in the parking lot.  I looked around to see who the money belonged to, but there was nobody.  So I put it in my pocket and went in the store.  A little while later I came back out of the store and looked around again to see if maybe someone came back and was looking for their money.  There still wasn't anyone around.  So I got in my car to drive away, thinking none other than Almighty God had partially repaid me for my trouble.

As I pulled out of the parking space, my headlights flashed underneath the car next to me.  I thought I saw a piece of paper behind the back tire that was about the shape of a dollar bill, so, given what had already happened, I stopped and checked it out.  It was a $20 bill this time.

That is $31 total.  I paid $60 for the game at Walmart, and amazon.com had it for $29... a difference of (you guessed it) $31!!!

Cool

"The same thing win, that always won... and we just have a different bunch of excuses if we lose"
ricky023
President Denny

E-Cred: 5062

Male

ricky023

To Be One Ask One

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 16, 2014, 01:34:13 PM »

I ended up buying it for $60 because I didn't want to disappoint the kids.  I wanted to make the point that I say what I mean and I mean what I say.  Of course they already know that, but this incident just reinforced it.  Even if Walmart lied to me about the price, that is not a good excuse for me to go back on what I told them I would do.  I wanted them to see that even if someone else is not holding up their end of the bargain, you still need to do what you said you would do, as long as it is within your power to do so.  And it was in this case.

Now I realize that for some folks the price difference would make the difference in whether or not they could afford it. 
 Cool

Sc where I was raised that is called integrity. My dad was very Hardliner believer in integrity. Well done sir. RTR!

John 15:5
"The Preacher"
"Rangers Lead the Way"
1/75th Rangers
pmull
Coach Nick Saban

E-Cred: 6108

Male

pmull

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 17, 2014, 07:37:44 AM »

I always look online for price but not patience enough to wait two days for shipping. I never understand why stores do not price match their own website. Walmart will price match a competitors printed ad price but not their own website. It makes no sense.

I am shopping online more. You can save money. Living in a small town I like to buy local if I can but price matters. 
Merk
Coach Xen Scott

E-Cred: 3915

Merk

ROLL TIDE!!!!

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 06, 2014, 07:28:17 PM »

I don't care for Wally World either.

Wife and I flew to WVA to visit her family. While there, we bought a croquet set at Wally's which turned out to be missing pieces. We tried to return it to a closer Wally and found out that it must be returned to the same store where it was bought if there are parts missing.

So I asked the question if I bought it in California I had to return it there? Yep. Apparently so.

Moral of the story: if you buy something at Wally's and it needs to be assembled, better put it together before u travel with it.

"Son, we're Alabama. We don't play second fiddlle to anyone". ~Friday Night Lights
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Next Game

vs.

Day: Saturday
Date: 8/31/2024
Time: TBD
TV: TBD
Radio: Fun 92.7
Tuscaloosa, AL

* Who's Online
  • Dot Guests: 565
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 0