Marshal Dillon Marshal Dillon
E-Cred: 3072
bamaphil bamaphil
E-Cred: 2962
Hannibal Lecter, MD Hannibal Lecter, MD
E-Cred: 2961

Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: *** Official Libya In-Game Thread ***  (Read 15715 times)
ssmith general
Coach Frank Thomas

E-Cred: 1460

Male

ssmith general

View Profile
« on: March 19, 2011, 05:38:15 AM »

I have not been paying attention, but seems to be [kip dynamite voice] getting pretty serious [/kip dynamite voice]

I guess the rebels are pretty well armed if they are shooting down jets?  Where is NATO?  What are we doing about it?  

We should have killed that guy in '82 or whenever.

Here is an article from Fox News today

Libyan Forces Reportedly Defy Cease-Fire, Engage in Battle for Rebel Stronghold

BENGHAZI, Libya –  Libyan forces struck Saturday at the heart of the rebellion against Muammar al-Qaddafi, shelling the outskirts of the rebel capital and launching airstrikes in defiance of international demands for a halt to the fighting.

Leaders from the Arab world, Africa, the United States and other Western powers were holding urgent talks in Paris on Saturday over possible military action against Qaddafi's forces, which are trying to crush the nearly 5-week-old rebellion against him.

Trying to outmaneuver Western military intervention, Qaddafi's government declared a cease-fire on Friday as the rebel uprising faltered against his artillery, tanks and warplanes. But the opposition has said shells rained down well after the announcement and accused the Libyan leader of lying.

More Here

ssmith general
Coach Frank Thomas

Male

ssmith general

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2011, 05:44:35 AM »

Obama threatens Khadafy with force

WASHINGTON — President Obama ordered Moammar Khadafy yesterday to carry out an immediate cease-fire, withdraw his forces from rebel-held cities, and stop all attacks on Libyan civilians or face military action from the United States and its allies in Europe and the Arab world.

“Let me be clear; these terms are not negotiable,’’ Obama said from the East Room of the White House.

Those terms, particularly lifting the siege of opposition-held territories, would give the rebels a reprieve, if not a military advantage.

Libya had pledged a cease-fire hours before. But reports from rebel-held territory in the east and west indicated that the attacks by Khadafy militias continued unabated.

Government forces continued to advance on Benghazi, the rebel’s capital in the east, and people fleeing nearby Ajdabiya said troops were bombing and conducting assaults in the afternoon. The western city of Misrata remained under siege, its electricity and water cut by the government, and doctors reported that at least 25 people were killed, including 16 unarmed civilians. In Tripoli, the repression of peaceful protests continued, and gunfire was heard late in the evening.

More- NYT via Boston.com

SUPERCOACH
Coach Bear Bryant

E-Cred: 5654

Male

SUPERCOACH

"Let's go."

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2011, 08:59:17 AM »

Obama threatens Khadafy with force

WASHINGTON — President Obama ordered Moammar Khadafy yesterday to carry out an immediate cease-fire, withdraw his forces from rebel-held cities, and stop all attacks on Libyan civilians or he is going to tell his momma the U. N.

“Let me be clear; these terms are not negotiable,’’ Obama said from the East Room of the White House.

Those terms, particularly lifting the siege of opposition-held territories, would give the rebels a reprieve, if not a military advantage.

Libya had pledged a cease-fire hours before. But reports from rebel-held territory in the east and west indicated that the attacks by Khadafy militias continued unabated.

Government forces continued to advance on Benghazi, the rebel’s capital in the east, and people fleeing nearby Ajdabiya said troops were bombing and conducting assaults in the afternoon. The western city of Misrata remained under siege, its electricity and water cut by the government, and doctors reported that at least 25 people were killed, including 16 unarmed civilians. In Tripoli, the repression of peaceful protests continued, and gunfire was heard late in the evening.

More- NYT via Boston.com

FIFY

"The same thing win, that always won... and we just have a different bunch of excuses if we lose"
ricky023
President Denny

E-Cred: 5062

Male

ricky023

To Be One Ask One

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2011, 11:44:20 AM »

Well Pres. Obama said no ground troops but the Air Strikes could come soon. That no-fly zone is being implemented and we as well as others will protect it. I think Fox News and CNN said it would cost 300 million dollars a day. RTR!

John 15:5
"The Preacher"
"Rangers Lead the Way"
1/75th Rangers
ssmith general
Coach Frank Thomas

Male

ssmith general

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2011, 01:10:49 PM »

Well Pres. Obama said no ground troops but the Air Strikes could come soon. That no-fly zone is being implemented and we as well as others will protect it. I think Fox News and CNN said it would cost 300 million dollars a day. RTR!

man, and I only need about 50k once.  Angry

ssmith general
Coach Frank Thomas

Male

ssmith general

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 19, 2011, 01:38:00 PM »

Just heard on the news that NATO has begun air-strikes on khadafee

ricky023
President Denny

Male

ricky023

To Be One Ask One

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 19, 2011, 02:35:16 PM »

Well it won't be long now. The Airstrikes will tear him up. I am not sure about all this but if they take him down maybe the oil will become freer. RTR!

"The Preacher"
"Rangers Lead the Way"
1/75th Rangers
ssmith general
Coach Frank Thomas

Male

ssmith general

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 20, 2011, 06:02:15 AM »

Explosions, Gunfire Heard Over Tripoli as U.S. and Allies Continue Military Strikes on Libya

Explosions and gunfire were heard in the Libyan capital of Tripoli Sunday morning as the U.S. and its allies continued military strikes against targets of Libyan leader Muammar al-Qaddafi, who on Libyan state radio said the raids were "acts of terrorism".

Qaddafi added that all of the country's people were now carrying weapons to defend the nation.

"We will not leave our land and we will liberate it," he said.

He said he has opened up the weapons depots to Libyans, and said everyone is armed with "automatic weapons, mortars, bombs."

"We promise you a long war," he said in the address.

Pentagon officials Sunday were poring over satellite images to ascertain the damage of Saturday's military strikes.

Large explosions were heard in Tripoli, possibly a cruise missile targeting a command and control center, Fox News' Steve Harrigan reports. Anti-aircraft tracer fire from Pro-Qaddafi forces was seen in the night sky after an explosion was heard two miles from the compound housing the Libyan strongman.

Thousands of regime supporters, meanwhile, packed into the sprawling Bab al-Aziziya military camp in Tripoli where Qaddafi lives to protect against attacks.

Read more: Click here for link

ssmith general
Coach Frank Thomas

Male

ssmith general

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 20, 2011, 06:05:48 AM »

Peace through superior firepower.

cbbama99
Coach Wallace Wade

E-Cred: 2889

Male

cbbama99

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 20, 2011, 03:46:57 PM »

Uncle Muammar has had it coming for a LONG time. Everybody remember the airstrikes ordered by President Reagan back in the day?

"Fat, drunk, and stupid is no way to go through life, son."
ssmith general
Coach Frank Thomas

Male

ssmith general

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 20, 2011, 03:49:54 PM »

Uncle Muammar has had it coming for a LONG time. Everybody remember the airstrikes ordered by President Reagan back in the day?

yes I do, funny too because I was very young.  That may have been the first major news story that I can remember at the time.

cbbama99
Coach Wallace Wade

E-Cred: 2889

Male

cbbama99

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 20, 2011, 04:17:29 PM »

yes I do, funny too because I was very young.  That may have been the first major news story that I can remember at the time.

Same here. That was in, what, '85? That would have made me 10 years old.

"Fat, drunk, and stupid is no way to go through life, son."
ricky023
President Denny

Male

ricky023

To Be One Ask One

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 20, 2011, 05:31:01 PM »

Well no ground troops and the Air Riders is going to have a ball with those guys. Gadaffi better do like Sadam and hit the ground running or he will loose family and all. Those missiles don't have eyesight they are going to hit where directed. RTR!

"The Preacher"
"Rangers Lead the Way"
1/75th Rangers
ssmith general
Coach Frank Thomas

Male

ssmith general

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 20, 2011, 07:38:01 PM »

yes I do, funny too because I was very young.  That may have been the first major news story that I can remember at the time.

Same here. That was in, what, '85? That would have made me 10 years old.

I thought it was more like '81 or '82, but you're right, it was '86.

ssmith general
Coach Frank Thomas

Male

ssmith general

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 21, 2011, 06:07:28 AM »

Qaddafi Compound Hit by U.K. Missiles as Coalition Says Leader’s Forces in Disarray

British submarines fired two missiles at Libyan leader Muammar al-Qaddafi’s compound in downtown Tripoli Sunday, a senior coalition official confirmed to Fox News, as part of a weekend of punishing attacks aimed at protecting the Libyan people.

The British Ministry of Defense confirmed that Qaddafi was not the target, but that the compound was hit because of its military significance. A Pentagon official had previously said Sunday that the coalition “will not be going after Qaddafi.”

The 4-story compound in downtown Tripoli was home to Qaddafi and was demolished by the attacks, though it hadn’t been confirmed when the strike occurred, Fox News’ Steve Harrigan reported.

Two circular holes in the roof, which are consistent with a missile strike, were visible and rubble littered the street. There were no known injuries, and it remains unclear where the leader has been living since the U.N.-sanctioned no-fly zone was ordered.

Pentagon officials said the weekend of strikes had scattered and isolated Qaddafi’s forces, and American military authorities are moving to hand control of the operation to other countries.

Defense Secretary Robert Gates said the U.S. expects to turn control of the mission over to a coalition -- probably headed either by the French and British or by NATO -- "in a matter of days."

Navy Vice Admiral William E. Gortney, director of the Joint Staff, said the coalition had control of the air space between Benghazi and Tripoli, Libya's capital and that the attacks had been successful.

"We judge these strikes to have been very effective in significantly degrading the regime's air defense capability," Gortney said. "We believe his forces are under significant stress and suffering from both isolation and a good deal of confusion."
Read more: Click here for link

Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Next Game

vs.

Day: Saturday
Date: 8/31/2024
Time: TBD
TV: TBD
Radio: Fun 92.7
Tuscaloosa, AL

* Who's Online
  • Dot Guests: 537
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 0