Marshal Dillon Marshal Dillon
E-Cred: 3072
bamaphil bamaphil
E-Cred: 2962
Hannibal Lecter, MD Hannibal Lecter, MD
E-Cred: 2961

Pages: 1 2 3 [4]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Interception, Reception, or Simultaneous Catch?  (Read 17201 times)
SUPERCOACH
Coach Bear Bryant

E-Cred: 5654

Male

SUPERCOACH

"Let's go."

View Profile
« Reply #45 on: November 07, 2011, 09:23:42 PM »

shot from the other side

away from the play

That is also a great shot.  Clearly MW has both hands on the ball and is in control.  The DB has one hand about to hook behind the ball and the other hand on MW.

"The same thing win, that always won... and we just have a different bunch of excuses if we lose"
SUPERCOACH
Coach Bear Bryant

Male

SUPERCOACH

"Let's go."

View Profile
« Reply #46 on: November 07, 2011, 09:37:16 PM »

I blame this all on Jamos and his pals.  Clearly the REC did not make a generous enough donation to the officiating crew this week.

"The same thing win, that always won... and we just have a different bunch of excuses if we lose"
Coach Hank Crisp
Coach Frank Thomas

E-Cred: 983

Coach Hank Crisp

View Profile
« Reply #47 on: November 07, 2011, 10:07:10 PM »

I have watched that play over and over dozens of times.  Here is what I saw:

1.  M. Williams is wide open almost immediately.
2.  The receiver (B. Gibson) lined up in the slot on the strong side ran his route across the field.  The umpire was in the way and he went behind him, taking the DB deeper.  He probably should have gone in front of the umpire.  The umpire may have even picked the DB if he had done that.
3.  LSU overloaded the weak side and had guys running free toward Maze.  This was to be expected considering we only had two guys on the line on that side, and one of them was M. Williams running a pass route.  Maze had to get rid of the ball in a hurry.
4.  M. Williams was so wide open that Maze floated it out there to give him plenty of time to get under it and make the catch.  He was leaning backwards as he made the throw.  He put way too much air under the ball.
5.  In spite of this, the DB still gets there a split second late.  M. Williams catches the ball with BOTH hands.
6.  He controls the ball with both hands all the way to the ground.  It looks like it is being bobbled, but he has both hands on it securely.  The reason it looked bobbled was because the DB got his hands on the ball and was trying to jerk it away.  M. Williams kept both hands firmly on the ball through out the fall, although his hands were jostled around as the DB pulled on the ball.
7.  If M. Williams did not have the ball securely in both hands, the DB would have ripped it out.  The DB only had one hand in there initially and was trying to pull it out, but M. Williams had a firm grip and did not let him.
8.  M. Williams hits the ground on his back, and still has full control of the ball in both hands.  Photos taken by the press show him on his back with both hands firmly gripping the ball.  Sometime while they are on the ground the DB manages to get his other hand in there and takes the ball away as M. Williams is trying to get up.
9.  Neither the side judge nor the field judge make a ruling initially.  Both of them run in to mark the spot though like it was a reception.  Then the back judge comes running up from the end zone and rules it as an interception.  The back judge that makes the call is standing somewhere near the goal post, and from that angle the DB shields him from the ball.  He sees the DB's back, then sees the DB pop up with the ball.  He can't see M. Williams control the ball all the way to the ground.

I don't blame the refs, it is just one of those plays where it was hard to tell what happened.  It didn't become obvious to me until after the game was over after I had a chance to watch the play frame by frame and see the images taken by the photographers.  They got the call wrong, but it was an honest mistake.

I blame refs. I was watching from section L using my new binoculars. Section L is even with the goal line. I was looking right down on th eplay. MW caught the ball, Reid came in and touched the ball with his right hand after it was caught. Like you said, MW held it firmly down to the turf. Once MW hit the turf Reid worked his left hand under the ball and even then couldn't pull ball away from MW. How the refs gave him possession is just unbelievable! It was first and goal, Alabama at the one! Everyone was celebrating the catch only to have those sorry ass SEC refs run in and turn around and FTU! If back judge couldn't see it and was blocked, he had no business ruling on the play!

Another thing that was bad, the instant replay refs didn't take anytime to review the play because they came back almost immediately with LSU ball.

BS! BS! BS!

Steve Shaw needs to issue every ref working for him a pair! Dumbasses!

Not content with leading the way in riflescope performance, Burris decided to go head-to-head with the world's most costly binoculars but give them a decidedly more friendly price tag. The result? Ultra-premium Burris Euro Diamond binoculars. Their superlative optics combined with precision alignment and maximized light management designs provide resolution far in excess of what the average human eye is capable of processing for the sharpest, most detailed images possible.

Burris Euro Diamond binoculars feature premium optical glass and prisms that are very low-tolerance precision ground and polished for super sharp distortion-free viewing. Every lens surface is broad band multi-coated for reflection-free bright images and the prisms include ultra-premium multi-coating and phase correction coating as well as silver coating for the ultimate in viewing performance.

Not only are Burris Euro Diamond binoculars the new standard in image quality, they provide a generous eye relief for eyeglasses or sunglasses and very expansive field of view. You owe it to yourself to compare these to any binocular on the planet at any price.

For extra convenience, the right eye diopter adjustment is integrated into the center focus wheel. All Burris Euro Diamond binoculars are fully waterproof, fogproof, highly shock resistant and are backed by the famous Burris Forever Warranty.

I had a pair of Ziess and they cost more and not near as good as these Burris.

These make 1000 yards looks like 300.

« Last Edit: November 07, 2011, 10:24:58 PM by Coach Hank Crisp » Logged

SUPERCOACH
Coach Bear Bryant

Male

SUPERCOACH

"Let's go."

View Profile
« Reply #48 on: November 07, 2011, 10:17:09 PM »

They didn't review it very long at all.

BamaBred
Junior

E-Cred: 713

BamaBred

View Profile
« Reply #49 on: November 07, 2011, 10:29:52 PM »

I have watched that play over and over dozens of times.  Here is what I saw:

1.  M. Williams is wide open almost immediately.
2.  The receiver (B. Gibson) lined up in the slot on the strong side ran his route across the field.  The umpire was in the way and he went behind him, taking the DB deeper.  He probably should have gone in front of the umpire.  The umpire may have even picked the DB if he had done that.
3.  LSU overloaded the weak side and had guys running free toward Maze.  This was to be expected considering we only had two guys on the line on that side, and one of them was M. Williams running a pass route.  Maze had to get rid of the ball in a hurry.
4.  M. Williams was so wide open that Maze floated it out there to give him plenty of time to get under it and make the catch.  He was leaning backwards as he made the throw.  He put way too much air under the ball.
5.  In spite of this, the DB still gets there a split second late.  M. Williams catches the ball with BOTH hands.
6.  He controls the ball with both hands all the way to the ground.  It looks like it is being bobbled, but he has both hands on it securely.  The reason it looked bobbled was because the DB got his hands on the ball and was trying to jerk it away.  M. Williams kept both hands firmly on the ball through out the fall, although his hands were jostled around as the DB pulled on the ball.
7.  If M. Williams did not have the ball securely in both hands, the DB would have ripped it out.  The DB only had one hand in there initially and was trying to pull it out, but M. Williams had a firm grip and did not let him.
8.  M. Williams hits the ground on his back, and still has full control of the ball in both hands.  Photos taken by the press show him on his back with both hands firmly gripping the ball.  Sometime while they are on the ground the DB manages to get his other hand in there and takes the ball away as M. Williams is trying to get up.
9.  Neither the side judge nor the field judge make a ruling initially.  Both of them run in to mark the spot though like it was a reception.  Then the back judge comes running up from the end zone and rules it as an interception.  The back judge that makes the call is standing somewhere near the goal post, and from that angle the DB shields him from the ball.  He sees the DB's back, then sees the DB pop up with the ball.  He can't see M. Williams control the ball all the way to the ground.

I don't blame the refs, it is just one of those plays where it was hard to tell what happened.  It didn't become obvious to me until after the game was over after I had a chance to watch the play frame by frame and see the images taken by the photographers.  They got the call wrong, but it was an honest mistake.

I agree - an honest mistake... the first time. But they sealed their fate on that insulting excuse for a review. No disrespect, SC, but they offered a fraction of the time that play deserved to make a good call - the right call.

On another note, props on your analysis. What with my delicate sensibilities and all, I have not had the composure to watch any replays of that game yet...the wounds are slow to heal.
 Here's looking at you kid
Coach Hank Crisp
Coach Frank Thomas

E-Cred: 983

Coach Hank Crisp

View Profile
« Reply #50 on: November 07, 2011, 11:07:08 PM »

They didn't review it very long at all.

Another thing I missed SC. MW first caught the ball and then Reid touched it with his right hand as witnessed in this picture.

MW maintained contact with both hands on the ball the whole time. Then as they were falling to the one yardline, Reid took his right hand off the football and no longer maintained contact with the ball with either hand, and MW maintained contact with both hands the whole time. Reid has no hands touching football in this picture!

Then after they fall to the turf, Reid still has no hands touching the football and blind SEC Referee is in background watching the whole play. Referee is in next three pictures watching play unfold!

Then right before they make contact with turf, you can see Reid's left hand coming up but not yet touching the football.

This one is after MW hit the ground with possession of the ball and Reid is still pulling at football with his left hand.  Play over.

SEC referees are blind and should be fired!

ricky023
President Denny

E-Cred: 5062

Male

ricky023

To Be One Ask One

View Profile
« Reply #51 on: November 08, 2011, 12:09:51 AM »

Now these Ref's made a bad call on the play that helped to make a difference in the outcome of the game, shouldn't they at least be suspended. They cost us the money of the NCG possibly and they walk away. Kinda scares me, the Ref's can do any game they want to and help any team they want to. JMHO! RTR!

John 15:5
"The Preacher"
"Rangers Lead the Way"
1/75th Rangers
bamalum67
Grad Student

E-Cred: 119

Male

bamalum67

Bama born and Bama bred

View Profile
« Reply #52 on: November 08, 2011, 04:52:53 AM »

I never officiated FB, but I put in over 25 years with baseball at all levels, including college. When we had an unusual situation, both umps, or all 3 if we had a 3 man game, would consult to GET THE CALL RIGHT. This is where I think the refs messed up..if the back judge was blocked out so he could not see the ENTIRE play, he should have asked for help from his other refs..TO GET THE CALL RIGHT.

I think this was especially called for due to the importance of the game.

I think they messed it up..but that is football..it will not be the last time refs will miss a call.

"It ain't the size of the dog in the fight..it's the size of the fight in the dog"
Catch Prothro
Coach Gene Stallings

E-Cred: 5215

Catch Prothro

View Profile
« Reply #53 on: November 08, 2011, 05:51:57 AM »

This one has MW on the ground with possession of the ball.  Play over.
It appeared to me that Williams had both hands on the ball as he hit the ground, and hitting the ground caused his right arm to move off the ball.  If you see in your photo, the ball appears to be held by Williams's left and and LSU's right hand, with Williams' right hand off the ball.  Apparently the refs' too-quick review saw the ball appear to move in Williams' hands and, coupled with this shot, decided that Williams did not have possesion.  However, this photo is after hitting the ground.  I thought it was a basic rule that, The Ground Cannot Cause a Fumble, which is the opposite of how the refs ruled here.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Next Game

vs.

Day: Saturday
Date: 8/31/2024
Time: TBD
TV: TBD
Radio: Fun 92.7
Tuscaloosa, AL

* Who's Online
  • Dot Guests: 726
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 0