Marshal Dillon Marshal Dillon
E-Cred: 3072
bamaphil bamaphil
E-Cred: 2962
Hannibal Lecter, MD Hannibal Lecter, MD
E-Cred: 2961

Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Interception, Reception, or Simultaneous Catch?  (Read 17202 times)
SUPERCOACH
Coach Bear Bryant

E-Cred: 5654

Male

SUPERCOACH

"Let's go."

View Profile
« on: November 06, 2011, 01:30:46 AM »

You decide.

"The same thing win, that always won... and we just have a different bunch of excuses if we lose"
BAMAWV
Coach Nick Saban

E-Cred: 2454

BAMAWV

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2011, 01:41:03 AM »

You are on to something. Someone will clean that shot up a little to prove our case. Another thing,-- this is the one I couldn't believe,-- was how quick they decided and the lack of argument by the CBS guys (Verne and Gary). I couldn't believe it, began hopping up and down. And it was 12:30 before I saw the camera angle like the one above. What I saw was slo-mo. I'll bet Verne and Gary got this angle in the booth. We'll sort it out tomorrow.

If my standards are not high enough, kindly lower yours.
XBAMA
Coach Wallace Wade

E-Cred: 4632

Male

XBAMA

Roll Tide

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2011, 01:43:24 AM »

is that the same play where I said we just got raped ?

God And Guns got us here and God and Guns will keep us here
SUPERCOACH
Coach Bear Bryant

Male

SUPERCOACH

"Let's go."

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2011, 01:51:04 AM »

I got this from the ESPN highlights.  Go to the bama page on espn.com and watch the highlights.  This play is around 1:30 into the clip.  Pause it.  You can move the slider left and right to see this frame by frame.  It is pretty clear that he caught the ball, hit the ground with control and possession of the ball, and then sometime while they are rolling on the ground the DB takes the ball away.

What I don't know about is what the rules say in this situation.  Is he down as soon as his shoulder hits the ground?  If so it should be ruled a catch.  However there may be some rule about maintaining control and possession through the fall.  In that case it may be an interception.

In any case, I think it is safe to say that if that call goes for Bama, we win the game.  Our D ended up holding them on their ensuing possession, but we pretty much quit after that punt sailed over Maze's head.  That was the most disappointing part of the whole game to me.

I expect this to end up being fodder for a rematch.  We really should have won that game.

"The same thing win, that always won... and we just have a different bunch of excuses if we lose"
SUPERCOACH
Coach Bear Bryant

Male

SUPERCOACH

"Let's go."

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 06, 2011, 01:51:29 AM »

is that the same play where I said we just got raped ?

Yes.

Coach Hank Crisp
Coach Frank Thomas

E-Cred: 983

Coach Hank Crisp

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 06, 2011, 01:02:28 AM »

Just saw the replay. We all celebrated Alabama first and goal at the one. Then the call was overturned almost instantly.

Replay shows Williams fall to the turf on his back with possession.

The referee that gave the ball to LSU should be fired, and the replay offcials that did not change the ruling on the field. Pure BS!!

BAMAWV
Coach Nick Saban

E-Cred: 2454

BAMAWV

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 06, 2011, 05:50:24 AM »

I got this from the ESPN highlights.  Go to the bama page on espn.com and watch the highlights.  This play is around 1:30 into the clip.  Pause it.  You can move the slider left and right to see this frame by frame.  It is pretty clear that he caught the ball, hit the ground with control and possession of the ball, and then sometime while they are rolling on the ground the DB takes the ball away.

What I don't know about is what the rules say in this situation.  Is he down as soon as his shoulder hits the ground?  If so it should be ruled a catch.  However there may be some rule about maintaining control and possession through the fall.  In that case it may be an interception.

In any case, I think it is safe to say that if that call goes for Bama, we win the game.  Our D ended up holding them on their ensuing possession, but we pretty much quit after that punt sailed over Maze's head.  That was the most disappointing part of the whole game to me.

I expect this to end up being fodder for a rematch.  We really should have won that game.
Seems this takes us into the senseless area (already visited this year) about making a football move with the ball. What is a football move? How do you do that while falling on your azz, holding onto the ball with both hands?

If my standards are not high enough, kindly lower yours.
Jamos
Coach Gene Stallings

E-Cred: 5801

Male

Jamos

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 06, 2011, 06:28:10 AM »

In a post on another thread this past week,I said my worst fear of this game was the luck of LSU and the Refs, hmmmm.  Wink

“There were no arguments, those are called ass-chewings,” . Coach Nick Saban
Chechem
President Denny

E-Cred: 7228

Chechem

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 06, 2011, 06:41:32 AM »

In a post on another thread this past week,I said my worst fear of this game was the luck of LSU and the Refs, hmmmm.  Wink

You were right.  Best two posts I've seen about this said 1) "Peterson's un-interception was ruled in Bama's favor last time; now we're even", and 2) "LSU was more efficient and left no points on the field; sign of a championship team".

Close games always come down to just a few plays.

BTW, dirty plays like the penalty that left Dre injured need a rule that sits the offender as long as the injured player is sidelined.  That was trashy.

Jamos
Coach Gene Stallings

E-Cred: 5801

Male

Jamos

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 06, 2011, 07:06:16 AM »

You were right.  Best two posts I've seen about this said 1) "Peterson's un-interception was ruled in Bama's favor last time; now we're even", and 2) "LSU was more efficient and left no points on the field; sign of a championship team".

Close games always come down to just a few plays.

BTW, dirty plays like the penalty that left Dre injured need a rule that sits the offender as long as the injured player is sidelined.  That was trashy.

I didn't see all of the play and they didn't show a replay of it at the game, but I did see him go down and when the Ref threw the flag. The closest ref to the play never threw his flag, he was right behind it, makes you wondeer what he was watching.  Huh?
But I do think you make a good point as to when there is a flagrant foul, there should be different punishment.

“There were no arguments, those are called ass-chewings,” . Coach Nick Saban
lstephen
Coach E. B. Beaumont

E-Cred: 83

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 06, 2011, 07:30:29 AM »

On the non-catch/interception, it wound up being called and interception.  I think incorrectly and Lou Holtz, FWIW, agrees.  It stands as an interception.

Anyone heard anything on the status of Dre, Maze, Jones and Steen for Miss State?
carl childers
Grad Student

E-Cred: 349

Male

carl childers

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 06, 2011, 08:18:49 AM »

As Williams is falling, the ball shifts in his hands - that is why it was not ruled a catch. Besides, we left so many points on the field, it should not have come down to that play.

Saban about the 2011 Alabama defense: "They are a hateful bunch..."
XBAMA
Coach Wallace Wade

E-Cred: 4632

Male

XBAMA

Roll Tide

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: November 06, 2011, 08:31:30 AM »

I see everyone has done their homework on the loss
I fell asleep with my laptop in a recliner watching the replay of a couple of certain plays

Guys , it was a great ride while it lasted but it seems the wind has left our sails for now
this was a hard one to swallow because of the way it went down & really hate it for the team .
no number 14 this year looks like but we still have some good football to play just at a lower
level of meaning ...
we must beat au and everyone else in between now and the ironbowl.
who knows what might happen , maybe we can wrangle one of those golden horseshoes
away from cheez or maybe les dropped one in the Fail Room ...
Lord knows we are going to need all the luck we can get with our guys that are hurt and all .

Roll Tide !

in the meantime I will be casting hexes on any team that is undefeated or ahead of
us in any shape form or fashion ...

God And Guns got us here and God and Guns will keep us here
MLB10
Senior

E-Cred: 115

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 06, 2011, 08:37:19 AM »

over at tigerdroppings last night folks were being uncharacteristically gracious winners.  one poster said "tom ritter for our MVP!".  That call was absolutely wrong IMO, but I think there were plenty of times we could have wrapped things up before that and it didn't happen.  Disagree with some of Saban's decisions but still glad he is our coach.  AJ on the other hand...
SUPERCOACH
Coach Bear Bryant

Male

SUPERCOACH

"Let's go."

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 06, 2011, 08:43:10 AM »

I would not be totally shocked if we meet them again.  OSU is bound to lose a game.  Stanford still has to play Oregon.

All of the recruits in the world, but who knew what we needed was on of those golden horseshoes?

I will give the LSU player credit for not giving up on the play.  He was beat.  He did not get his hands on the ball first, nor did he bait the QB, both of which he has said in interviews.  He did stick with it though and yanked the ball away while they were rolling around on the ground.

It is a new day, but this game still hurts.  We moved the ball on them the whole game.  They did not move the ball on us except for one drive before the half when we had a blown coverage.  In spite of the loss, we will still have the #1 defense.

Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Next Game

vs.

Day: Saturday
Date: 8/31/2024
Time: TBD
TV: TBD
Radio: Fun 92.7
Tuscaloosa, AL

* Who's Online
  • Dot Guests: 732
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 0