Marshal Dillon Marshal Dillon
E-Cred: 3072
bamaphil bamaphil
E-Cred: 2962
Hannibal Lecter, MD Hannibal Lecter, MD
E-Cred: 2961

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Day 1 Practice Notes and videos  (Read 7995 times)
che boludo
Junior

E-Cred: 374

che boludo

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: March 22, 2011, 11:34:04 PM »

Video of Kirby Smart working with linebackers
Posted on March 22, 2011
by Michael Casagrande| Leave a comment
This is the final installment of the spring practice opening day series. This time you can enjoy Sal Sunseri and defensive coordinator Kirby Smart working with the linebackers including Dont’a Hightower, Courtney Upshaw, C.J. Mosley and Nico Johnson.
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EF2fBlml9zA" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EF2fBlml9zA</a>

ricky023
President Denny

E-Cred: 5062

Male

ricky023

To Be One Ask One

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 23, 2011, 05:01:50 AM »

One thing for sure when this gets figured out we will be one fine football specimen. RTR!

John 15:5
"The Preacher"
"Rangers Lead the Way"
1/75th Rangers
che boludo
Junior

che boludo

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 23, 2011, 10:08:58 AM »

I read on Wooly that Michael Casagrande (who is becoming one of my favorite Bama blogger/writers) had some additional first day observations that I haven't seen elsewhere.

We have mentioned Orr'd move to DE.  Casagrande reports that CNS said he thought Orr at  6-4 and 258 pounds was a bit small for a DE in a 3-4, but that he has a great set of pass rushing skills that "shouldn't be wasted." We can most likely expect to see him at the Jack position where he can best put those skills to use. 

Also, more on Tyler Love's move to center.  Casagrande reported that Vlachos told him that Coach Stoutland had recruited Tyler Love while at Miami and he thought it was most likely CJS behind the change. Vlachos went on to say that he saw some things he liked in Tyler Love previously and must have seen some abilities that he thought project him to do well at center. 

To me, It is still an intersting choice for me for a guy with a 6'7" frame who has spent 3 years learning the tackle position.  Hopefully, center works out as it has become apparent that he (for whatever reason) is not going to crack the lineup as a tackle.  Perhaps, he'll excel as an interior lineman.

Last, what I think is the best news of all.  Casagrande stated that Michael Bowman was back with the WRs and not with the TEs. 

Personally, I am a huge Bowman fan.  His size, build, speed, and talents would make him a dominant red zone threat.  I think he is the closest thing to a Julio replacement that we have on the current roster.  He was tearing up the first team D at times during practices from reports that I read over the last couple of years.  He was the only WR to not draw a RS in the 2009 season playing at times as a true freshman finding time in a very talented group of WRs.  as a true freshman.  I think he would have had a breakout season last year if a myriad of issues didn't come up for him (ab injury, growth spurt that prompted the TE experiment, and his involvement in the "dorm fireworks" incident last summer that saw one player dismissed).  So, he RS'ed last fall to either ride out his time in the doghouse and/or learn a new position.  If he is back with the WRs, I'd be inclined to believe it is the former.  I hope the move sticks and expect big things from him this year.

ricky023
President Denny

Male

ricky023

To Be One Ask One

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 23, 2011, 10:24:27 AM »

Sounds so good. I hope all these reports are correct. You know CNS he doesn't much out of what he is doing. RTR!

"The Preacher"
"Rangers Lead the Way"
1/75th Rangers
che boludo
Junior

che boludo

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 23, 2011, 10:30:50 AM »

Sounds so good. I hope all these reports are correct. You know CNS he doesn't much out of what he is doing. RTR!

All of Casagrande's stuff is spot on.  He is a legit reporter and Bama blogger.  I would have posted the direct quotes from the article but they originated from a pay newspaper site from Decatur, so I chose to paraphrase the quotes from the other thread to avoid any issues copyright-wise.

ricky023
President Denny

Male

ricky023

To Be One Ask One

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 23, 2011, 10:49:42 AM »

All of Casagrande's stuff is spot on.  He is a legit reporter and Bama blogger.  I would have posted the direct quotes from the article but they originated from a pay newspaper site from Decatur, so I chose to paraphrase the quotes from the other thread to avoid any issues copyright-wise.

Hey CHE as long as you know him that is good enough with me. RTR!

"The Preacher"
"Rangers Lead the Way"
1/75th Rangers
che boludo
Junior

che boludo

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 23, 2011, 11:24:36 AM »

Hey CHE as long as you know him that is good enough with me. RTR!

Here, now you can know him as well as me.  I don't know him personally.  I just know that he is an actual reporter carried by 3 state newspapers, so his info has to be "more correct" than the local random "insider"

Michael Casagrande covers University of Alabama athletics for The Decatur Daily, The TimesDaily and The Anniston Star.

Link to his daily blog:  Click here for link
ricky023
President Denny

Male

ricky023

To Be One Ask One

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 23, 2011, 02:59:12 PM »

Aha The Anniston Star, is our local newspaper. I will see him now. Thanks RTR!

"The Preacher"
"Rangers Lead the Way"
1/75th Rangers
hscoach
Coach Xen Scott

E-Cred: 2824

hscoach

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 23, 2011, 05:29:16 PM »

I like the OL guy who keeps preaching feet, feet, feet.  Also watching the video, they seem to be stepping with the proper foot each time.

What are your thoughts on Love to center given his height/size?

I think the issue of center height stems from the body mechanics necessary to physically place yourself in position to conduct the most efficient transfer of the ball to the QB whether it be from under center or in shotgun.

Intuitively, the taller the center the more body movement involved in positioning for and conducting the snap while preparing to immediately transitioning to blocking. I don't think tall centers are incapable of doing the job, but it creates some more difficulties IMO than a shorter center.

However, I'd imagine that the average center height is on the rise as the need for OLmen to play multiple positions (especially the interior lineman) allows for a greater variation in height.

I like what you say, but I don;'t know.  Can he make the snaps with proper footbwork and can he make the line calls necessary

?  Too me those are the key issues.
che boludo
Junior

che boludo

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 24, 2011, 02:53:52 PM »

I read on Wooly that Michael Casagrande (who is becoming one of my favorite Bama blogger/writers) had some additional first day observations that I haven't seen elsewhere.

We have mentioned Orr'd move to DE.  Casagrande reports that CNS said he thought Orr at  6-4 and 258 pounds was a bit small for a DE in a 3-4, but that he has a great set of pass rushing skills that "shouldn't be wasted." We can most likely expect to see him at the Jack position where he can best put those skills to use. 

Also, more on Tyler Love's move to center.  Casagrande reported that Vlachos told him that Coach Stoutland had recruited Tyler Love while at Miami and he thought it was most likely CJS behind the change. Vlachos went on to say that he saw some things he liked in Tyler Love previously and must have seen some abilities that he thought project him to do well at center. 

To me, It is still an intersting choice for me for a guy with a 6'7" frame who has spent 3 years learning the tackle position.  Hopefully, center works out as it has become apparent that he (for whatever reason) is not going to crack the lineup as a tackle.  Perhaps, he'll excel as an interior lineman.

Last, what I think is the best news of all.  Casagrande stated that Michael Bowman was back with the WRs and not with the TEs. 

Personally, I am a huge Bowman fan.  His size, build, speed, and talents would make him a dominant red zone threat.  I think he is the closest thing to a Julio replacement that we have on the current roster.  He was tearing up the first team D at times during practices from reports that I read over the last couple of years.  He was the only WR to not draw a RS in the 2009 season playing at times as a true freshman finding time in a very talented group of WRs.  as a true freshman.  I think he would have had a breakout season last year if a myriad of issues didn't come up for him (ab injury, growth spurt that prompted the TE experiment, and his involvement in the "dorm fireworks" incident last summer that saw one player dismissed).  So, he RS'ed last fall to either ride out his time in the doghouse and/or learn a new position.  If he is back with the WRs, I'd be inclined to believe it is the former.  I hope the move sticks and expect big things from him this year.

EDIT: adding link to full article that ran on free site today:  Click Here for FULL ARTICE
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Next Game

vs.

Day: Saturday
Date: 8/31/2024
Time: TBD
TV: TBD
Radio: Fun 92.7
Tuscaloosa, AL

* Who's Online
  • Dot Guests: 559
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 0