Marshal Dillon Marshal Dillon
E-Cred: 3072
bamaphil bamaphil
E-Cred: 2962
Hannibal Lecter, MD Hannibal Lecter, MD
E-Cred: 2961

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Decatur's Big Bob Gibson's Bar-B-Q wins championship at Memphis in May  (Read 4467 times)
pmull
Coach Nick Saban

E-Cred: 6108

Male

pmull

View Profile
« on: May 19, 2014, 09:23:31 AM »

Big Bob Gibson is the first team to win the overall Memphis in May championship four times. If you have never eaten at Big Bob's it is worth the short drive off I-65 if you are headed North to Huntsville or Nashville. it is our favorite place for lunch after church. We also like to pick up a pound of meat at the drive thru for sandwiches.

Big Bob Gibson Bar-B-Q was named grand champion at the prestigious Memphis in May barbecue competition this weekend, becoming the 37th annual event's first four-time champion.

More than 200 teams from across the world traveled to Memphis for what USA Today calls the best barbecue challenge in the nation.

Big Bob Gibson, led by Chris Lilly, previously won in 2000, 2003 and 2011. The team also took the top prize for best pork shoulder over finalists Red Hot Smokers out of Olive Branch, Miss., and Boarhouse Smokers out of Bartlett, Tenn.

Click here for link
Hannibal Lecter, MD
Coach Wallace Wade

Hannibal Lecter, MD

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2014, 10:18:36 AM »

I work with a lot of folks around the Boston area.  One group that was traveling down regularly for something we were working on for about 3 years used to go to Big Bob's every time they were down in Huntsville for more than a day or two.  They also used to hit up Greenbrier for catfish quite a bit.

pmull, have you ever eaten at Chuck Wagon BBQ off the old Hwy 20 in Madison?
pmull
Coach Nick Saban

Male

pmull

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2014, 11:02:13 AM »

I work with a lot of folks around the Boston area.  One group that was traveling down regularly for something we were working on for about 3 years used to go to Big Bob's every time they were down in Huntsville for more than a day or two.  They also used to hit up Greenbrier for catfish quite a bit.

I have never eaten at Chuck Wagon BBQ but I have heard it is good. Isn't that the place that serves Texas style BBQ?
Hannibal Lecter, MD
Coach Wallace Wade

Hannibal Lecter, MD

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2014, 02:00:29 PM »

I work with a lot of folks around the Boston area.  One group that was traveling down regularly for something we were working on for about 3 years used to go to Big Bob's every time they were down in Huntsville for more than a day or two.  They also used to hit up Greenbrier for catfish quite a bit.

I have never eaten at Chuck Wagon BBQ but I have heard it is good. Isn't that the place that serves Texas style BBQ?

The owner/pitmaster is from Texas and comes from a lineage of cattle drive cooks.  He says some of his recipes have been handed down from that time.

I've only been there about 3-4 times myself.  It's a tad pricey, but it's good.  Every time I've been I've had the combo plate with brisket and spicy sausage.  It's so good I can't bring myself to get anything different.  The beans are fantastic with lots of pulled pork in them, and the slaw is pretty unique (for a BBQ joint) with red wine vinegar.
pmull
Coach Nick Saban

Male

pmull

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2014, 02:12:20 PM »

I work with a lot of folks around the Boston area.  One group that was traveling down regularly for something we were working on for about 3 years used to go to Big Bob's every time they were down in Huntsville for more than a day or two.  They also used to hit up Greenbrier for catfish quite a bit.

The owner/pitmaster is from Texas and comes from a lineage of cattle drive cooks.  He says some of his recipes have been handed down from that time.

I've only been there about 3-4 times myself.  It's a tad pricey, but it's good.  Every time I've been I've had the combo plate with brisket and spicy sausage.  It's so good I can't bring myself to get anything different.  The beans are fantastic with lots of pulled pork in them, and the slaw is pretty unique (for a BBQ joint) with red wine vinegar.

It sounds good. I need to give it a try. I go to Texas often for business. Around here I always get pork or turkey but in Texas it is beef briskit and sausage.
Hannibal Lecter, MD
Coach Wallace Wade

Hannibal Lecter, MD

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 20, 2014, 03:50:58 PM »

The owner/pitmaster is from Texas and comes from a lineage of cattle drive cooks.  He says some of his recipes have been handed down from that time.

I've only been there about 3-4 times myself.  It's a tad pricey, but it's good.  Every time I've been I've had the combo plate with brisket and spicy sausage.  It's so good I can't bring myself to get anything different.  The beans are fantastic with lots of pulled pork in them, and the slaw is pretty unique (for a BBQ joint) with red wine vinegar.

It sounds good. I need to give it a try. I go to Texas often for business. Around here I always get pork or turkey but in Texas it is beef briskit and sausage.

What part of TX do you frequent?  I used to go to El Paso semi-regularly and had a few favorite places to eat there.
pmull
Coach Nick Saban

Male

pmull

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 20, 2014, 04:19:58 PM »

The owner/pitmaster is from Texas and comes from a lineage of cattle drive cooks.  He says some of his recipes have been handed down from that time.

I've only been there about 3-4 times myself.  It's a tad pricey, but it's good.  Every time I've been I've had the combo plate with brisket and spicy sausage.  It's so good I can't bring myself to get anything different.  The beans are fantastic with lots of pulled pork in them, and the slaw is pretty unique (for a BBQ joint) with red wine vinegar.

What part of TX do you frequent?  I used to go to El Paso semi-regularly and had a few favorite places to eat there.

San Antonio. I go there 2-3 times a year. Two of our best customers and a major supplier are located there. San Antonio and Austin are my favorite city's in Texas.

We did a job in El Paso about 10 years ago. I learned to hate that place. I have traveled to Houston and Dallas a lot through the years as well.
cbbama99
Coach Wallace Wade

E-Cred: 2889

Male

cbbama99

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 20, 2014, 05:30:06 PM »

Guess I will have to make a special trip to Decatur next time I am back home.  Tongue

"Fat, drunk, and stupid is no way to go through life, son."
Leewillie
Coach Xen Scott

E-Cred: 3348

Leewillie

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 20, 2014, 05:42:13 PM »

I plan all my trips top Tuscaloosa and Birmingham to be in Decatur at lunch time.  Never miss a chance to eat at Big Bobs.  Just as good as it was when I lived there 40 years ago. 
Catch Prothro
Coach Gene Stallings

E-Cred: 5215

Catch Prothro

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 30, 2014, 08:10:12 AM »

I used to go to BBG regularly for the smoked turkey and white BBQ sauce.  But now that my wife makes an excellent white BBQ sauce, and I smoke turkeys and chicken (that aren't dry), I don't get there too often any more.  I do own their cookbook, which has some good recipes and tips.  Their competition BBQ is different than the BBQ they serve in restaurant;  I've followed their pork competition recipe, which injects a lot of flavor.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Next Game

vs.

Day: Saturday
Date: 8/31/2024
Time: TBD
TV: TBD
Radio: Fun 92.7
Tuscaloosa, AL

* Who's Online
  • Dot Guests: 542
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 0