Marshal Dillon Marshal Dillon
E-Cred: 3072
bamaphil bamaphil
E-Cred: 2962
Hannibal Lecter, MD Hannibal Lecter, MD
E-Cred: 2961

Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Kent State Vs Bama: hscoach game notes  (Read 9796 times)
hscoach
Coach Xen Scott

E-Cred: 2824

hscoach

View Profile
« on: September 04, 2011, 10:36:46 AM »

The game Bama played was little more than a glorified scrimmage.  Bama’s second unit would have been a better test.  However, with that being said, I don’t think Bama looked like the number 2 team in the nation, especially on offense.   What will happen to Bama if they turn the ball over that many times to an SEC opponent?

Offense:  On offense Bama did rack up 482 yards of total offense.  However, the rushed for only 183 yards against an undersized Kent State DL.  Also, they had many short fields which limited the amount of yards they could gain.  I do think the Bama O was kept simple for this game.  

QB:  From the first impressions AJM was the better QB today.  I will also say that 1 int was his fault and the other was the rec’s fault.  The ball should have been caught.  Also, in my opinion AJ seems to have a shorter throwing motion than does PS.  I do understand and take into consideration this was PS first real college game under the watchful eyes of 100,000 fans.   I think AJM is a little more comfortable with the O.  It seemed to me that PS was staring his rec’s down many times.  I haven’t given up on PS  being a very good QB in the future it just seems that AJM is ahead at this time.  As far as PS int’s one was when he was hit from behind on a blitz and the other was on him with a bad/late throw.  On the deep balls if they missed they missed in the right place, where no one else could get the ball.  Also, I know PS held onto the ball a couple of times, but the rec’s do have to get open, or he better go to the check down.

RB:  They ran well at times.  I thought EL looked very good.  Many times TR was hit almost as soon as he got the ball.  I did notice TR did not do a very good job picking up the defender on a stunt which in turn rushed the QB.  

REC:  MM had a very good game.   Other rec contributed especially, DW.  DW also need to keep the ball tighter to his body when he is running with the football.I would have like to see more rec get a chance to catch the ball.  MM also did block pretty well on the short rec screens.    

OL:  He is where I see the problem.  I didn’t see what was supposed to be a dominate power on the field yesterday.  There were blocking assignments missed.  I don’t care what Andre Ware said #65CW did not have a good game.  He did well on a couple of plays, but in my opinion not a very good game.  He was not moving his feet and allowing defenders to cross his face. I saw the OL standing around and not staying on their blocks.  If the Golden Flashes can give the Bama OL this much trouble, what will happen when they play an SEC opponent.  I really expected Bama to run at will against the Flashes.  

Defense:  There is little to say about the D except they played well.  They played good solid technique against and under manned team.  Early the Flashes helped them out by dropping passes.  I really didn’t expect much from Kent State.  The only negative was the lack of turnovers.  There were many opportunities for int’s that didn’t happen.   I do think there may have been an emphasis on tackling this offseason and fall practice.  I noticed the defenders wrapped up more instead of just trying to knock someone down.  The D was very vanilla.  They really

DL:    Did well keep the OL off the LB’s and allowed them to make plays.

LB:  All played well.

DB:   Did pretty well.  I thought there was a little too much separation with some of the rec.   I think, but not sure, MB got caught looking in the backfield on the TD pass.  He lined up over the TE and I think he was supposed to have him man to man.  That use to be our Red coverage where the CB’s would take the displaced rec and the safeties would take the tight rec or backs.  

Special teams:  A few things stood out to me here.  First, MM did a good job with his returns.  Second, there are a couple of head hunters on the kickoff team, #3 and #33 come to mind.  Also, #3 laid a guy out on a block on one of the punt returns.  

Penalties:  Very few penalties which is good for the first game.  

Finally, if I were voting I may move, at this point, LSU up ahead of Bama.  I know some people are not going to like that statement, but the OL has to pick it up if Bama wants to contend the rest of the year.

Please feel free to comment.

Good Luck and Roll Tide Roll
« Last Edit: September 04, 2011, 11:14:39 AM by pmull » Logged
Coach Hank Crisp
Coach Frank Thomas

E-Cred: 983

Coach Hank Crisp

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2011, 10:47:24 AM »

Thanks hscoach for the great insight.

ricky023
President Denny

E-Cred: 5062

Male

ricky023

To Be One Ask One

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2011, 10:54:04 AM »

Applause E-Cred  to you HS Coach. It is so good to have you back. RTR!

John 15:5
"The Preacher"
"Rangers Lead the Way"
1/75th Rangers
pmull
Coach Nick Saban

E-Cred: 6108

Male

pmull

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 04, 2011, 11:20:31 AM »

Very good post hscoach. Excellant information and observations. I always enjoy reading your posts. In SC's absence this morning I posted this on the home page blog.
carl childers
Grad Student

E-Cred: 349

Male

carl childers

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 04, 2011, 11:36:48 AM »

Great analysis. I think that the OL will work itself out. There was a lot of shifting around, and to be frank I don't think they took KSU seriously (which is not acceptable). I believe CK will be starting at LT very quickly, which will allow BJ back to his normal slot. My main concern is with Vlachos - I think he has digressed and will continue to get beat in the middle.

Saban about the 2011 Alabama defense: "They are a hateful bunch..."
SUPERCOACH
Coach Bear Bryant

E-Cred: 5654

Male

SUPERCOACH

"Let's go."

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 04, 2011, 12:01:49 PM »

Very good post hscoach. Excellant information and observations. I always enjoy reading your posts. In SC's absence this morning I posted this on the home page blog.

Thanks pmull.

"The same thing win, that always won... and we just have a different bunch of excuses if we lose"
SUPERCOACH
Coach Bear Bryant

Male

SUPERCOACH

"Let's go."

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 04, 2011, 12:07:09 PM »

Good analysis hscoach.  I think you are right on the money with your observations.  I agree that we did not look like a #2 team at all this week.  Hopefully the O-line just wasn't motivated today.  Of course that is a problem, but it is a much better problem than if they just aren't all that good.

I think the motivation issue will be taken care of in practice this week.  Dont'a tried to address it on the sidelines during the game.  Maybe seeing themselves on film will hurt their pride a little and stir them up some.

"The same thing win, that always won... and we just have a different bunch of excuses if we lose"
Old Tider
Coach Frank Thomas

E-Cred: 1634

Old Tider

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 04, 2011, 12:27:55 PM »

Great stuff, Coach. This should be forwarded to the team.
SUPERCOACH
Coach Bear Bryant

Male

SUPERCOACH

"Let's go."

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 04, 2011, 12:56:52 PM »

Maybe Kuiyam will send a link to Jesse.  Cheesy

hscoach
Coach Xen Scott

hscoach

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 04, 2011, 01:04:41 PM »

Thanks, but they have a lot more coaches more qualified than me.
cbbama99
Coach Wallace Wade

E-Cred: 2889

Male

cbbama99

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 04, 2011, 01:26:40 PM »

Excellent analysis, coach. I always look forward to seeing what you have to say after the game, especially since you are much more in tune to the technical aspects of the game than I am. I though you were spot on with the O-Line, which was my greatest concern as well. It seemed like they were in our backfield way to much.

"Fat, drunk, and stupid is no way to go through life, son."
rueben
Coach E. B. Beaumont

E-Cred: 1977

rueben

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 04, 2011, 01:43:50 PM »

Thank you H.S. coach. I don't see our "O" line as much of a problem as many others do. I think that 1 K.S. who had the of the top 10 defenses in the nation last year, may have as good of a defense this year. especially with Roosevelt Nix. The man is a flat out baller! He gave our O, fits and was living in our backfield for a while. We may or may not see another D lineman with his talent, this year. SEC or otherwise.

#1Crimson
Senior

E-Cred: 59

#1Crimson

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 04, 2011, 02:04:39 PM »

Enjoyed your review/report hscoach and thanks for your input.  Great read.
hscoach
Coach Xen Scott

hscoach

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 04, 2011, 03:05:35 PM »

Thank you H.S. coach. I don't see our "O" line as much of a problem as many others do. I think that 1 K.S. who had the of the top 10 defenses in the nation last year, may have as good of a defense this year. especially with Roosevelt Nix. The man is a flat out baller! He gave our O, fits and was living in our backfield for a while. We may or may not see another D lineman with his talent, this year. SEC or otherwise.

Yes, K.S. did have a top 10 D last year, but look at the competition they play.  I will agree that RN can play, but he was aided by the fact the the OL missed blocks on him, especially #65.  He got lazy and did not move his feet at times.  It concerns me that Bama could not run at will when they are playing a team who would not win a game in the SEC.
SUPERCOACH
Coach Bear Bryant

Male

SUPERCOACH

"Let's go."

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 04, 2011, 03:12:09 PM »

The announcers made a pretty big deal about their #10 ranked defense last year.  I am not buying it one bit.  In my opinion that is a misleading and worthless stat.  But I decided to go and do a little research just to make sure.  Here is their schedule from last year:

Date                Opponent                Result       Record
Thu, Sept 2vsMurray StateW41-101-0 (0-0)
Sat, Sept 11@Boston CollegeL26-131-1 (0-0)
Sat, Sept 18@#22 Penn StateL24-01-2 (0-0)
Sat, Oct 2@Miami (OH)L27-211-3 (0-1)
Sat, Oct 9vsAkronW28-172-3 (1-1)
Sat, Oct 16@ToledoL34-212-4 (1-2)
Sat, Oct 23@Bowling GreenW30-63-4 (2-2)
Sat, Oct 30vsBall StateW33-144-4 (3-2)
Sat, Nov 6vsTempleL28-104-5 (3-3)
Sat, Nov 13vsArmyL45-284-6 (3-3)
Sat, Nov 20@Western MichiganL38-34-7 (3-4)
Fri, Nov 26vsOhioW28-65-7 (4-4)

Having the #10 defense statistically after that cupcake schedule is very misleading.  Contrast that to the schedule that Alabama played last year.  I think we had the number 1 defense or at least a top 5 defense, I can't remember for sure.  But the opposition that we collected our defensive stats against is not even in the same universe with the guys they played.  To say they had a top 10 defense makes it sound like they were just a few spots behind Alabama's defense, but there really is no comparison.  It is apples and oranges my friends.

Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Next Game

vs.

Day: Saturday
Date: 8/31/2024
Time: TBD
TV: TBD
Radio: Fun 92.7
Tuscaloosa, AL

* Who's Online
  • Dot Guests: 425
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 0