Marshal Dillon Marshal Dillon
E-Cred: 3072
bamaphil bamaphil
E-Cred: 2962
Hannibal Lecter, MD Hannibal Lecter, MD
E-Cred: 2961

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Bo Knows  (Read 4280 times)
ALTideUp
Coach E. B. Beaumont

E-Cred: 2045

ALTideUp

View Profile
« on: December 08, 2012, 09:39:42 PM »

Aubie or not, tonight's 30 for 30 about Bo was great. What a great athlete, and how sad for us all that he was done at 28.

"When the going get's weird, the weird turn pro"

Hunter S. Thompson
XBAMA
Coach Wallace Wade

E-Cred: 4632

Male

XBAMA

Roll Tide

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2012, 09:56:45 PM »

really think Culverhouse was trying to screw him ? 
or is Bo trippin' ? = the new/old scummy ?

God And Guns got us here and God and Guns will keep us here
pmull
Coach Nick Saban

E-Cred: 6109

Male

pmull

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 09, 2012, 09:37:58 AM »

I enjoyed watching it last night. I thought I would watch a few minutes and then change to Duck Dynasty but it was interesting and I watched the entire show.

I remember Bo well. What an athlete. I don't remember him being a great baseball player. He would either strike out or hit a towering HR. He was a good football player. His NFL moment came when he ran over Brian Bosworth on Monday night Football.

I am friends with Randy Campbell. Not many non-barn fans remember Randy but he was the undersized barn QB whose job was to handoff to Bo and Brent Fullwood.
hscoach
Coach Xen Scott

E-Cred: 2824

hscoach

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 09, 2012, 09:52:50 AM »

I thought Bo was one of if not the greatest athletes of all times.  A friend who now works at Edwin Watts Golf store out here is from Geneva, Al and an AU grad.  He use to work in the store at Birmingham.  He told me Bo would call him if he needed anything golf wise and he would meet him at the back of the store.  Bo was shy because of his stuttering problem.   He also told me Bo could hit a ball with his 5 iron about 220+ yards.
Hannibal Lecter, MD
Coach Wallace Wade

Hannibal Lecter, MD

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 10, 2012, 11:34:30 AM »

It was a very enjoyable watch.  Being only 5 when Bo was coming out of Auburn, I didn't know a lot of the history (senior ineligibility due to the Bucs, declining the NFL draft pick, etc).

I will say this, his skill as a hitter is overblown.  His dislike of practice held him back as a hitter, regardless of how far he hit a few balls.  He probably could've played forever and been a 30/30 guy and won 8 Gold Gloves, but he was also going to be a lifetime .255 hitter and I'm not sure he'd ever have made the HOF in baseball.  He could've walked into the HOF as a running back had he not gotten hurt and devoted himself full time to football.

His attitude towards his position coach at Auburn was a little telling as well.

I've heard nothing but good things about him regarding how he treats his fellow man though and really admired his Bo Bikes Bama campaign to help the tornado victims last year.
Crimson Phoenix
Grad Student

E-Cred: 173

Female

Crimson Phoenix

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 10, 2012, 05:02:50 PM »

I enjoyed watching it too.

Bo was an outrageously good athlete who made such an impact during his short career that he will be a legend for a long time.  Besides the football greatness, the story about how he hit a baseball that hit the stadium's top crown impressed me.  It was said that only 3 people had done it ...Babe Ruth, Josh Gibson and Bo Jackson.  What a powerful hitter he was.

I came away from the program appreciating his intelligence and character.  What an unusual person overall.

At least he is enjoying his life and loves to make arrows and hunt.  He is still an athlete.
Hannibal Lecter, MD
Coach Wallace Wade

Hannibal Lecter, MD

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 11, 2012, 10:32:08 AM »

Bo was an outrageously good athlete who made such an impact during his short career that he will be a legend for a long time.  Besides the football greatness, the story about how he hit a baseball that hit the stadium's top crown impressed me.  It was said that only 3 people had done it ...Babe Ruth, Josh Gibson and Bo Jackson.  What a powerful hitter he was.

I came away from the program appreciating his intelligence and character.  What an unusual person overall.

At least he is enjoying his life and loves to make arrows and hunt.  He is still an athlete.

Small correction - Babe Ruth and Josh Gibson never played at Kauffman Stadium (the Royals ballpark).  There was some old-timer who remarked that he'd only heard the crack of the bat sound like that 3 times (Bo, Ruth, and Gibson).
BAMAWV
Coach Nick Saban

E-Cred: 2454

BAMAWV

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 11, 2012, 12:14:48 PM »

Small correction - Babe Ruth and Josh Gibson never played at Kauffman Stadium (the Royals ballpark).  There was some old-timer who remarked that he'd only heard the crack of the bat sound like that 3 times (Bo, Ruth, and Gibson).
I thought it was the top of the facade at Yankee Stadium?

If my standards are not high enough, kindly lower yours.
Hannibal Lecter, MD
Coach Wallace Wade

Hannibal Lecter, MD

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 11, 2012, 01:18:33 PM »

I thought it was the top of the facade at Yankee Stadium?

Nah, it was the crown on the Royal's scoreboard.  It was an impromptu batting practice right after the press conference when the Royal's announced his signing.

Hannibal Lecter, MD
Coach Wallace Wade

Hannibal Lecter, MD

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 11, 2012, 01:29:04 PM »

Small, rampantly available media recording devices will end stories like many surrounding Bo's feats.  No other future athletes will have so many myths surrounding semi-factual accomplishments.  Almost everyone is carrying around a phone with a camera on it, and many people now even a video camera.  Sketchy eye witness reports exaggerated by word of mouth through the years are mostly a thing of the past.

I mean, sorry, Bo didn't actually run a 4.12 forty-yard dash.  Someone with a stopwatch may have pushed the buttons on the clock for that time, but it's not accurate.  He didn't jump over the tallest point of a VW Beetle.  He didn't throw a ball from endzone to endzone during pregame warm-ups at Auburn.  And he probably didn't actually hit the crown pictured above with a baseball.  That would be probably 100ft further than any homer ever officially hit.  I don't buy it.
« Last Edit: December 11, 2012, 01:30:56 PM by Hannibal Lecter, MD » Logged
double nickel
Junior

E-Cred: 95

double nickel

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 12, 2012, 08:33:41 AM »

That $80,000 was well spent by the barn.

rueben
Coach E. B. Beaumont

E-Cred: 1977

rueben

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 13, 2012, 10:35:08 AM »

Bo was probaly the greatest athlete of all times. ( Micheal Jordan made it to pro's in 2 sports also, but only to minors in baseball.)

His ride through Alabama last year proved him to be a pretty good endurance athlete too!

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Next Game

vs.

Day: Saturday
Date: 8/31/2024
Time: TBD
TV: TBD
Radio: Fun 92.7
Tuscaloosa, AL

* Who's Online
  • Dot Guests: 599
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 0