Marshal Dillon Marshal Dillon
E-Cred: 3072
bamaphil bamaphil
E-Cred: 2962
Hannibal Lecter, MD Hannibal Lecter, MD
E-Cred: 2961

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Bama vs UF game notes:  (Read 7982 times)
BAMAWV
Coach Nick Saban

E-Cred: 2454

BAMAWV

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: October 02, 2011, 03:37:47 PM »

Thanks Coach, great info. I agree about the punter taking too long to get the punts off.
Seems to me this is a variable in that he would take less time if the "D" has the rush on, as opposed to taking longer if they are setting up the return? hsc?

If my standards are not high enough, kindly lower yours.
XBAMA
Coach Wallace Wade

E-Cred: 4632

Male

XBAMA

Roll Tide

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: October 02, 2011, 03:45:58 PM »

He also missed a couple of deeps throws again, one of which would have been a TD  ...
Most of his passes were off target even if they were completions.

good stuff Coach .... thanks !

it's those two things that I quoted you on that worry me the most
we seem to pretty solid everywhere else ...  well , then there is our little problem with kicking  Grin

God And Guns got us here and God and Guns will keep us here
Dig Em
gilmer

E-Cred: 36

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 02, 2011, 04:02:44 PM »

Thanks Coach for your analysis. What do you think about the rugby style kicks their punter did? Their gunners were running along side of the ball and it seemed to roll along way.
BAMAWV
Coach Nick Saban

E-Cred: 2454

BAMAWV

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 02, 2011, 04:07:33 PM »

A couple of questions. First, on your hoping to see more of Sims in the 2nd half. We all realize our offense is in deep trouble if AJ goes down, the way things are now. But AJ is also a first year QB (less a little PT here and there in 2010). So as many reps as he can get against QUALITY defenses is invaluable.  Also, the limited things PS can do in a game right now, also limits the practice/experience of the rest of our team.

I just feel the upcoming series of Vandy, Ole Miss, and even UT will be better suited for getting him the reps he needs to develope. Not to mention, disrupting offensive "rhythm" or cohesiveness.

While talking about QBs going down, I've often wondered about a theory floated around after the NC game. When Colt McCoy went down, Gilbert actually did a better job--got the UTx offense moving. Folks theorized that Bama had studied and therefore practiced for the style of Colt. But the different style of Garret Gilbert gave Bama fits. In your experience, would that make a huge difference? If so, why not plug in backups more often, when things get stalled?

Also, I listened to a couple UF post game interviews. Defensive guys talking about the crowd noise was even disrupting them in their signal calling and change-ups. This maybe explains AJ's difficulty checking off at the LOS.

Oh, and thank you for your game notes. My favorite part of Sunday.
« Last Edit: October 02, 2011, 04:14:05 PM by BAMAWV » Logged

If my standards are not high enough, kindly lower yours.
McBaman
Coach Xen Scott

E-Cred: 1150

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 02, 2011, 04:08:07 PM »

Coach -- Good observation about AJ's passes being a little off target, even the shorter ones.  This causes rec's to adjust and that 1-sec loss of momentum gives the DB time to close in.  I'm still concerned that we don't have a serious passing threat.  The shorter throws have been effective -- I'll give AJ that.  But the longer the pass the less on target it is.
hscoach
Coach Xen Scott

E-Cred: 2824

hscoach

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 02, 2011, 04:20:53 PM »

Thanks Coach, great info. I agree about the punter taking too long to get the punts off.
Seems to me this is a variable in that he would take less time if the "D" has the rush on, as opposed to taking longer if they are setting up the return? hsc?
I will say it gives the coverage team a better chance to get down to cover.  I really didn't notice a change when UF did have their rush on. 
hscoach
Coach Xen Scott

hscoach

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 02, 2011, 04:23:36 PM »

Thanks Coach for your analysis. What do you think about the rugby style kicks their punter did? Their gunners were running along side of the ball and it seemed to roll along way.

I really don't like them, but they were effective last night.  I worry about the block.  I think Bama did block one of those against a team last year.  I also don't like punters kicking to the near sideline on punts because if he shanks it then they lose valuable yardage.  What ever happen to kicking to the corner across the field, then if you shank it you still may get a decent kick.
hscoach
Coach Xen Scott

hscoach

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 02, 2011, 04:28:33 PM »

A couple of questions. First, on your hoping to see more of Sims in the 2nd half. We all realize our offense is in deep trouble if AJ goes down, the way things are now. But AJ is also a first year QB (less a little PT here and there in 2010). So as many reps as he can get against QUALITY defenses is invaluable.  Also, the limited things PS can do in a game right now, also limits the practice/experience of the rest of our team.

I just feel the upcoming series of Vandy, Ole Miss, and even UT will be better suited for getting him the reps he needs to develope. Not to mention, disrupting offensive "rhythm" or cohesiveness.

While talking about QBs going down, I've often wondered about a theory floated around after the NC game. When Colt McCoy went down, Gilbert actually did a better job--got the UTx offense moving. Folks theorized that Bama had studied and therefore practiced for the style of Colt. But the different style of Garret Gilbert gave Bama fits. In your experience, would that make a huge difference? If so, why not plug in backups more often, when things get stalled?

Also, I listened to a couple UF post game interviews. Defensive guys talking about the crowd noise was even disrupting them in their signal calling and change-ups. This maybe explains AJ's difficulty checking off at the LOS.

Oh, and thank you for your game notes. My favorite part of Sunday.

I just think PS could have come in after the fumble recovery.  You have a short field and a chance to gain great experience for the back up in a more meaningful setting.  Also, how much true experience is he getting by just handing the ball off?  As far as the TX game, I don't know if maybe the Bama team relaxed a little too much when Gilbert came in.  Also, in my opinion, if they are close talent wise get the guy some experience.  You can pick and choose when they get this experience.  Also, you know the level of competition you are playing.  These factors enter into the decision.
bama87
Coach E. B. Beaumont

E-Cred: 2132

Male

bama87

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 02, 2011, 07:32:17 PM »

HS- great notes. I have noticed a couple of things.
1. Lacey is dancing a little in the holes. He has strength and speed. He needs to hit the hole and go through it. I don't know if the turf toe caused any of that last night.

2.Last year Foster could reach the endzone. This year we have gone with direction and height. I like the idea, but you do have to be careful with speed on the other end. Lucky Demps didn't return kicks after he rolled his ankle. But why do you think we did not change up and reduce the speed by kicking deep?
Chechem
President Denny

E-Cred: 7228

Chechem

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 02, 2011, 07:42:38 PM »

Thanks guys.  One thing I left off was the kicker had 2 tackles on kickoffs.

Yes, I noticed that.  He did a good job on those 2 plays.  He was a linebacker in high school if I recall correctly, and it shows when he has to make the tackle.  Most kickers would get run over on those kind of plays.

Foster has a little size and strength. He is not your typical kicker. He takes pride in his ability to help cover the kickoff return.

So.... Foster was known as a high-school phenom who regularly kicked off deep in the endzone.  You don't suppose he's kicking short just so he can smash the runners and put little twerps, like Demps, out for the game?   

hscoach
Coach Xen Scott

hscoach

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: October 02, 2011, 08:34:14 PM »

1. Lacey is dancing a little in the holes. He has strength and speed. He needs to hit the hole and go through it. I don't know if the turf toe caused any of that last night.

2.Last year Foster could reach the endzone. This year we have gone with direction and height. I like the idea, but you do have to be careful with speed on the other end. Lucky Demps didn't return kicks after he rolled his ankle. But why do you think we did not change up and reduce the speed by kicking deep?

I would think they worry about the trajectory.  It is lower when he hits it out of/into the endzone.  If he doesn't make it that deep then the returner has a full head of steam and he cover team is not down there.  Just my opinion.  As I have said before, it looks to me that he is trying to kill the ball and muscle up before hitting it.  I equate it to a smooth golf swing.  Think about what happens when you try to muscle a shot in golf.
vikinghorse
ed

E-Cred: 26

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: October 04, 2011, 12:59:32 AM »

I would think they worry about the trajectory.  It is lower when he hits it out of/into the endzone.  If he doesn't make it that deep then the returner has a full head of steam and he cover team is not down there.  Just my opinion.  As I have said before, it looks to me that he is trying to kill the ball and muscle up before hitting it.  I equate it to a smooth golf swing.  Think about what happens when you try to muscle a shot in golf.

Reply to 1--Lacy did not "dig" in the game.  He ran higher in the saddle, only slightly, but he wasn't centered over his base and couldn't have spun out of an arm tackle if he wanted to.  Nor was he lowering his center enough to punish anyone with a leading shoulder, which suggests that he wasn't able to push. 

Reply to 2--Saban addressed this in the presser, claiming that there was no design to kick higher or shorter, that Saban would prefer he kicked it "in the stands every time," I believe the quote was.  Saban compared the issue to confidence in a golf swing, suggesting that Foster is more concerned with technique than he should, that he needs to gain confidence in his kicking in the game.  Saban said that Foster does not have this issue in practice, that he is more than capable of booting the ball through the end zone.

SUPERCOACH
Coach Bear Bryant

E-Cred: 5654

Male

SUPERCOACH

"Let's go."

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: October 04, 2011, 09:02:20 AM »

Reply to 1--Lacy did not "dig" in the game.  He ran higher in the saddle, only slightly, but he wasn't centered over his base and couldn't have spun out of an arm tackle if he wanted to.  Nor was he lowering his center enough to punish anyone with a leading shoulder, which suggests that he wasn't able to push. 

Reply to 2--Saban addressed this in the presser, claiming that there was no design to kick higher or shorter, that Saban would prefer he kicked it "in the stands every time," I believe the quote was.  Saban compared the issue to confidence in a golf swing, suggesting that Foster is more concerned with technique than he should, that he needs to gain confidence in his kicking in the game.  Saban said that Foster does not have this issue in practice, that he is more than capable of booting the ball through the end zone.

Welcome to the forum vikinghorse!  Have some e-creds.

"The same thing win, that always won... and we just have a different bunch of excuses if we lose"
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Next Game

vs.

Day: Saturday
Date: 8/31/2024
Time: TBD
TV: TBD
Radio: Fun 92.7
Tuscaloosa, AL

* Who's Online
  • Dot Guests: 584
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 0