Marshal Dillon Marshal Dillon
E-Cred: 3072
bamaphil bamaphil
E-Cred: 2962
Hannibal Lecter, MD Hannibal Lecter, MD
E-Cred: 2961

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: SECCG: Game notes: Bama vs UG  (Read 10331 times)
hscoach
Coach Xen Scott

E-Cred: 2824

hscoach

View Profile
« on: December 02, 2012, 12:21:10 PM »

First, I want to send congrats to the Bama coaches and players for winning the SEC Championship.  Also, UG played a hell of a game and took it to the wire.  This game could have been won by either team.   

Offense:  The O depended on running the football.  Bama put together 512 yards of total offense.  Three hundred and fifty of that offense was on the ground.  Both teams were hurt by clock management.  Bama should have used a timeout right before the half and maybe put one in the end zone instead of taking the field goal.  Bama did leave points on the field, but it is hard to tell how many.  First, they threw the int in the end zone.  Before this int, AJ missed the open rec in the end zone as he was about to get hit.  Second, they had a field goal blocked.   I had Bama with only 3 three and outs during the game.  This biggest one was where they didn’t covert on the last drive and gave UG the ball back.  As far as negative plays, I have the O with 3 TFL, 2 sacks, 2 fumbles, and 1 int.  Also, you can add the blocked field goal here. 

QB:  AJ, in my opinion, did not have a great game.  I know he made the big pass to AC, who also kept AJ from throwing an int, but he was pressured and did not see the field well.  It looked like he was watching the pass rush more than the rec’s and couldn’t/didn’t pull the trigger.  There were a couple of drops that hurt him and he did scramble well.  He also missed some of his throws to open recs.

RB:   Both of these guys put on a great performance.  I know my stats are unofficial, but I had EL for about 95 yards after contact.  I didn’t track TJY’s but yards after contact were also up there.  Many times they delivered the blow to the defensive players and some of those defensive plays actually looked like they were ready to turn a few hits down.  About the only bad thing I can say about these guys is TJY dropped a pass.

REC:  AC had another great game he had 7 of AJ 13 completions.  I know some people aren’t going to like this, but I think he is better than Julio Jones.  The main reason is his quickness and he doesn’t drop the ball like JJ did.  CJ could have made a big play, but dropped the ball when the UG safety hit him, the UG player made that play.  I will say they had to block well for the RB’s to be getting so many yards.  I will put this here, instead of the OL, on the 41 yard run by EL, the TE’s made good block and got more than one block on the play.

OL:  I really don’t know if the pass blocking was as bad as we think, or did AJ not pull the trigger.  They had a great game run blocking.  There were times they had their guy 3 yards or more down field.  There were times the RB wasn’t touched until he passed the LOS.  They also got to the second level and got a body on a body.  Something that goes unnoticed is the job DJF did on the 2 point play.  He got inside and used his huge body to shield off backside pursuit. 

Defense:  The defense was either very good, or at time not very good.  On the very first offensive play for UG, Bama got pressure with 4.  I stated this earlier and I didn’t plan on seeing VS in coverage and I guess the coaches saw the same thing.  The D gave up 406 yards of total offense.  They had 5 or 6 three and outs, I question my stats here.   I have them for 6 negative plays.  They had 2 TFL, 3 sacks, and one int.  The int led to 3 points and could have been more with better clock management.   I also have them with 4 pressures.  UG ran the ball well enough to use play action, but didn’t use a lot in my opinion.  The D did lose the edge a couple of times and allowed UG to make good runs.  I am glad UG did not spike the ball after getting close to the end zone they would have had a couple of chances for TD’s.  After Bama, scored to make the game 21-18, the D came up with a big 3 and out.  I do have Bama for about 7 missed tackle

DL:  They did a pretty good job.  I thought AH played well as did JW.  They stopped a lot of the runs for short gains. 

LB:  They did a pretty good job have to defend both the pass and the run. I will say TD got trucked by the UG running back.  On the first screen UG ran CJM was fooled or didn’t read his key very well, fortunately, there was a block in the back that brought the ball back.  The second time they ran the screen, CJM stopped it for a loss. 

DB:  There were a few issues here.  On the first TD, if one safety rotates up then I would think the other should move to the middle of the field or to the 2 rec side.  The TE was wide open.  It could have been someone missed the assignment that was supposed to be covering the TE.  The UG QB made some big throw and the rec’s made some big catches.  I did notice the DB’s were getting cut some, which adds to the yardage UG made.  I will say on the last drive, did anyone notice on the second throw, the outside rec was blocking and the ball was thrown to the TE on the out route? 

Penalties: The biggest penalty of the game for Bama was the delay of game on the fake punt.  This would have kept the drive alive and maybe gotten some needed points there.  This was not a penalty, but I will put it here.  On the int, many people were screaming for a penalty on the hit put on the QB.  It could have been called, but all QB’s know the D is taught to look him up on any int.

Special teams:  Bama did not recognize the formation well for the fake punt run by UG.  I know when we played teams that spread like that we would make on or off calls to declare who is eligible.  Also, the blocked FG was kicked to slow and too low.  Also, when the punt return guy signals for a fair catch, why doesn’t the gunner run past him to keep the ball out of the end zone?  I guess since he was the only one there, he was there in case there was a muff.

Finally:  Bama is headed back to the NC game.  I wish them good luck. 

Please feel free to comment.

Good Luck and Roll Tide Roll 
14 and counting
Catch Prothro
Coach Gene Stallings

E-Cred: 5215

Catch Prothro

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2012, 01:00:23 PM »

First, I want to send congrats to the Bama coaches and players for winning the SEC Championship.  Also, UG played a hell of a game and took it to the wire.  This game could have been won by either team.   

Offense:     I had Bama with only 3 three and outs during the game. 

Bama did a poor job on 3rd down conversions, especially in the first half.

QB:  There were a couple of drops that hurt him and he did scramble well. 

I think you mean he did not scramble well.  There were a couple of times he moved into the rush, instead of avoiding it.

RB:   Both of these guys put on a great performance.  I know my stats are unofficial, but I had EL for about 95 yards after contact. 

ESPN had Bama with 200 yards rushing before contact for the two RBs.

REC:  I know some people aren’t going to like this, but I think he is better than Julio Jones.  The main reason is his quickness and he doesn’t drop the ball like JJ did. 

Agreed.  Cooper has much better hands and is able to pluck the ball out of the air and defender's grasp.  He is fast and elusive, though not as powerful as JJ.  He'll only get better with time, and probably will be bigger next year.

KoKoPuf
Coach Xen Scott

E-Cred: 3504

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2012, 01:09:35 PM »

Thanks, hs. Good stuff but I think AJ played a bit better than you. UGA pass rushers were quicker than most thought and UGA DB's did a good job on Bama receivers.
McBaman
Coach Xen Scott

E-Cred: 1150

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 02, 2012, 01:28:35 PM »

Coach -- First, thanks for you notes during the whole season.  Always informative.

Next - What can be done between now and the NCG to tighten up pass coverage by our DBs?  Several guys were banged up and I think Fulton didn't play.  Healtheir DBs will help some.  I'm sure Kriby will come up with a great scheme.  But ultimately it's the guys on the field that make it happen.
BAMAWV
Coach Nick Saban

E-Cred: 2454

BAMAWV

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 02, 2012, 01:36:34 PM »

I think you mean he did not scramble well.  There were a couple of times he moved into the rush, instead of avoiding it.

RB:   Both of these guys put on a great performance.  I know my stats are unofficial, but I had EL for about 95 yards after contact. 

REC:  I know some people aren’t going to like this, but I think he is better than Julio Jones.  The main reason is his quickness and he doesn’t drop the ball like JJ did. 

Agreed.  Cooper has much better hands and is able to pluck the ball out of the air and defender's grasp.  He is fast and elusive, though not as powerful as JJ.  He'll only get better with time, and probably will be bigger next year.

I say JJ could be counted on to make the catch if we really needed it. He also responded to the biggest stages to make his biggest plays.

Thanks for the notes, HSC!  Applause E-Cred

If my standards are not high enough, kindly lower yours.
hscoach
Coach Xen Scott

hscoach

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 02, 2012, 01:39:09 PM »

Coach -- First, thanks for you notes during the whole season.  Always informative.

Next - What can be done between now and the NCG to tighten up pass coverage by our DBs?  Several guys were banged up and I think Fulton didn't play.  Healtheir DBs will help some.  I'm sure Kriby will come up with a great scheme.  But ultimately it's the guys on the field that make it happen.

The biggest help they can get is to get a better pass rush.  I also think they are really going to have to concentrate on their technique during these practices.
hscoach
Coach Xen Scott

hscoach

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 02, 2012, 01:42:58 PM »

I mean when he had a lane to scramble in he did a good job.  He did step into the rush at times and it was collasping quickly.  I didn't hear that stat, but it seems a little high too me.  However, they have better stat people than me.
ricky023
President Denny

E-Cred: 5062

Male

ricky023

To Be One Ask One

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 02, 2012, 01:44:12 PM »

Great job hscoach as always. Thanks for this years assessment on each game. I want to speak to the penalties. I wonder why we seem to have them at the most critical of times? I know we teach, play through. I just know my stomach gets all so nervous I need a bottle Magnesium every time we make those.
Also, I have seen some clock management problems this I thought. I would think the staff would try to fix this one also. Rolling on to the NCG with back to back possible since 1978-1979. Feels so good. RTR!

John 15:5
"The Preacher"
"Rangers Lead the Way"
1/75th Rangers
bama87
Coach E. B. Beaumont

E-Cred: 2132

Male

bama87

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 02, 2012, 01:45:00 PM »

Great work Coach. I think a lot of AJ's sacks  were caused by coverage of receivers than the O line. The fact that we committed to the run was something I have been waiting foe. That is our MO. Finally, when we sucked the safeties in, we went over the top on the deep ball. Play action really sucked them in.
SUPERCOACH
Coach Bear Bryant

E-Cred: 5654

Male

SUPERCOACH

"Let's go."

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 02, 2012, 01:47:34 PM »

Good notes coach, as always.

I thought AJ looked a little gun shy.  At first I thought the coverage down field must have been really good, but then they started showing the wide angle view and you could see guys were open.  I think he was playing very conservatively and was afraid to let the ball go, or maybe was having a hard time seeing around the rush.  I can't fault him too much for playing it safe in a big game where we could run at will and were favored to win.  When the rush started closing in on him I would like to see him pull that ball down and secure it instead of the several pump fakes were he can't decide if he wants to throw it or pull it down.  This was the cause of one fumble, but he got away with it a few more times were we were lucky the ball didn't get knocked loose.

The interception at the goal line looked like the rec and the QB were not on the same page.  It looked like the rec was expecting a fade to the corner and the QB was throwing a back shoulder stop at the goal line.  If the rec would have stopped the DB couldn't have made a play on the ball without running over him and going through him to get to it.

A lot of folks, including the announcers for this game, don't realize what a great job Jesse does clogging up the middle.  The announcers even made a comment at one point that they hadn't called his name yet for the game.  That doesn't mean he isn't doing his job.  It the middle linebackers are making plays then that means Jesse is keeping the O-line off of them.  When he went out with the injury for a series they ran the ball right up the middle and drove all the way down for a TD.  They don't do that if Jesse is in the game.

A lot of people all around the country have said what a great game it was and that it was probably the best SEC Championship ever.  Maybe, but I can't help but being disappointed in how we played at times.  We won the game, and I am certainly impressed with the heart we showed to stay with it and keep fighting for all 3600 seconds (every second counted in this game).  I am also very impressed with how the Dawgs did the same thing.  I did not expect that from them at all.  I figured they would roll over and play dead like they usually do.  There are a number of things that could have gone the other way and we would have lost.  There are also a number of things that could have gone our way and it would have been a rout.  In the end I severely underestimated how hard they would fight for it, and I am beginning to realize what a great victory it was for us to hold them off and win in spite of the things that didn't go our way.  If the Dawgs go on to a big bowl game and beat the snot out of a good team I will probably come to appreciate this victory even more than I do now.

"The same thing win, that always won... and we just have a different bunch of excuses if we lose"
BAMAWV
Coach Nick Saban

E-Cred: 2454

BAMAWV

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 02, 2012, 01:54:09 PM »

I thought AJ looked a little gun shy.  At first I thought the coverage down field must have been really good, but then they started showing the wide angle view and you could see guys were open.  I think he was playing very conservatively and was afraid to let the ball go, or maybe was having a hard time seeing around the rush.  I can't fault him too much for playing it safe in a big game where we could run at will and were favored to win.  When the rush started closing in on him I would like to see him pull that ball down and secure it instead of the several pump fakes were he can't decide if he wants to throw it or pull it down.  This was the cause of one fumble, but he got away with it a few more times were we were lucky the ball didn't get knocked loose.

The interception at the goal line looked like the rec and the QB were not on the same page.  It looked like the rec was expecting a fade to the corner and the QB was throwing a back shoulder stop at the goal line.  If the rec would have stopped the DB couldn't have made a play on the ball without running over him and going through him to get to it.

A lot of folks, including the announcers for this game, don't realize what a great job Jesse does clogging up the middle.  The announcers even made a comment at one point that they hadn't called his name yet for the game.  That doesn't mean he isn't doing his job.  It the middle linebackers are making plays then that means Jesse is keeping the O-line off of them.  When he went out with the injury for a series they ran the ball right up the middle and drove all the way down for a TD.  They don't do that if Jesse is in the game.

A lot of people all around the country have said what a great game it was and that it was probably the best SEC Championship ever.  Maybe, but I can't help but being disappointed in how we played at times.  We won the game, and I am certainly impressed with the heart we showed to stay with it and keep fighting for all 3600 seconds (every second counted in this game).  I am also very impressed with how the Dawgs did the same thing.  I did not expect that from them at all.  I figured they would roll over and play dead like they usually do.  There are a number of things that could have gone the other way and we would have lost.  There are also a number of things that could have gone our way and it would have been a rout.  In the end I severely underestimated how hard they would fight for it, and I am beginning to realize what a great victory it was for us to hold them off and win in spite of the things that didn't go our way.  If the Dawgs go on to a big bowl game and beat the snot out of a good team I will probably come to appreciate this victory even more than I do now.
The "Bama Hangover Effect" will probably ruin the UGA bowl game. 30 days to put it behind them may mitigate that.

If my standards are not high enough, kindly lower yours.
SUPERCOACH
Coach Bear Bryant

Male

SUPERCOACH

"Let's go."

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 02, 2012, 01:57:35 PM »

Great work Coach. I think a lot of AJ's sacks  were caused by coverage of receivers than the O line. The fact that we committed to the run was something I have been waiting foe. That is our MO. Finally, when we sucked the safeties in, we went over the top on the deep ball. Play action really sucked them in.

If we commit to the run like that against A&M we are undefeated right now IMO.  Even if we don't go for 150 yards with 2 different backs we still keep Johnny on the sideline and give our defense a few minutes to get things straightened out.  The 3 and outs in the first quarter of that game really killed us.  Once we finally had a few minutes for the coaches and the D to get together on the sideline we shut them down, but by then we were down 21-0.  I was very pleased to see us put the game on the o-line and to see them step up and live up to their potential.  When we run the same play several times in a row and they can't stop it even though they know exactly what we are going to do, we can not be beat unless we beat ourselves.

"The same thing win, that always won... and we just have a different bunch of excuses if we lose"
SUPERCOACH
Coach Bear Bryant

Male

SUPERCOACH

"Let's go."

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 02, 2012, 02:01:24 PM »

A lot of people all around the country have said what a great game it was and that it was probably the best SEC Championship ever.  Maybe, but I can't help but being disappointed in how we played at times.  We won the game, and I am certainly impressed with the heart we showed to stay with it and keep fighting for all 3600 seconds (every second counted in this game).  I am also very impressed with how the Dawgs did the same thing.  I did not expect that from them at all.  I figured they would roll over and play dead like they usually do.  There are a number of things that could have gone the other way and we would have lost.  There are also a number of things that could have gone our way and it would have been a rout.  In the end I severely underestimated how hard they would fight for it, and I am beginning to realize what a great victory it was for us to hold them off and win in spite of the things that didn't go our way. If the Dawgs go on to a big bowl game and beat the snot out of a good team I will probably come to appreciate this victory even more than I do now.
The "Bama Hangover Effect" will probably ruin the UGA bowl game. 30 days to put it behind them may mitigate that.

There was some talk about keeping them ahead of UF in the polls.  If that happens they will go to a BCS game.  They might get fired up for that.  Or they could limp along like Bama did in '08.  We will see.

I don't know who they have coming back next year, but it sounds like they are going to have a lot of guys go on to the NFL this time.  If they had enough guys coming back, I would not be surprised to see them on a mission next year like we were in '09.

Catch Prothro
Coach Gene Stallings

E-Cred: 5215

Catch Prothro

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 02, 2012, 02:58:10 PM »

AJ appeared to  blame himself for that interception, AC clearly was expecting the fade and held his hands out after the interception as if to say, "what are you doing?"  AJ patted himself in the chest to say, "my fault."  I think AJ misread the cover there.

XBAMA
Coach Wallace Wade

E-Cred: 4632

Male

XBAMA

Roll Tide

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: December 02, 2012, 03:26:04 PM »

great job HSCoach  Applause E-Cred Applause E-Cred Applause E-Cred
really enjoyed your game breakdown all year , thank you so much !

know my stomach gets all so nervous I need a bottle Magnesium every time we make those.
 RTR!

I want to know more on this bottle of stuff     
like for you . I think it might help me too 

Pull hair Pull hair Pull hair Pull hair Pull hair

God And Guns got us here and God and Guns will keep us here
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Next Game

vs.

Day: Saturday
Date: 8/31/2024
Time: TBD
TV: TBD
Radio: Fun 92.7
Tuscaloosa, AL

* Who's Online
  • Dot Guests: 385
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 0